Old 09-08-2019, 11:00 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Could you tell me

What things you have in you’re recovery plans please, thank you
Old 09-08-2019, 11:26 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Old 09-08-2019, 11:45 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I use some of AVRT including I will not drink no matter what.

Being here on SR is a never ending learning curve that I could not do without.

Walking for miles and miles on bad days, and good days too.

Being aware and ready that the av will stage attacks frequently.

Recently I have found myself muttering oh no not you again when it makes its wily suggestions without too much thought. Then dismiss it and move on.

Taking life gently as possible. Avoiding situations that create temptation, frustration or altercation as much as I can.

And of course playing the tape forward and knowing where it will end if I give in to a quick fix to a lifelong problem.
Old 09-09-2019, 12:28 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Administrator

Have you looked at this link?

https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums...very-plan.html (What exactly is a recovery plan?)

D
Old 09-09-2019, 01:35 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Thanks
Old 09-09-2019, 03:32 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Waking Up Sober Is The Only Tool In My Toolbox, That's All I Think Of!

Old 09-09-2019, 03:54 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Fab 👍
Old 09-09-2019, 05:50 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

My mantra "no one is coming to save me" combined with being very very present on SR, reading, posting, reading more; AVRT; a real commitment to physical fitness; focusing on all the gifts life has given me in my family and my self that were being wasted and neglected by sacrificing everything to alcohol; leveraging those gifts; and finally coming to terms, on a daily basis, that I could never, ever drink again.
Old 09-09-2019, 05:55 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

This was just posted on another thread - I have an evolving list that all boils down to not drinking, AA, not drinking, continuing the program of AA, good early decisions, an evolution of my recovery (not sobriety) and repeat as necessary. Add elements for all areas of my life all along...
Old 09-09-2019, 06:13 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

I think a recovery plan is a pretty personal thing. Sure, most of it we probably all have in common, but not always.

To use me as an example, I don't crave the alcohol. I don't want to drink just for the hell of it. Every relapse I've had was because it was a Fri or Sat night and I was lonely, not having been in a relationship since my divorce. So the majority of my recovery plan is to find places or activities that surround me with people. Doesn't even matter if I'm talking to them. Just being at the gym, not just working out which will make me feel better, but not being isolated in my house is what is important for me.

Hobbies, exercise, support groups, etc.....we all share those as part of a recovery plan, but take a good hard look at yourself and tailor it to your needs. If you don't have one, a therapist or counselor can help you get there.
Old 09-09-2019, 06:28 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Thanks 🙏
Old 09-09-2019, 06:54 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

I don't think about plans or strategies much anymore. I'm just sober. Drinking is off the table. So mostly, I concern myself with what I want to do. I hike in the woods most every day, watch my weight, watch my emotions. Yeah, I literally watch them. I experience them too, but I find myself sometimes observing them like an outsider.

I have these things I still want to do. I'm going to New Orleans in November, not to get drunk in the French Quarter, but because I've always wanted to visit a Louisiana bayou by canoe or kayak. I've never seen one. I've got my plane tickets already. I'll look around New Orleans too of course, because I've never been there, but there will be no slumming involved.

There is no longer a plan to stay sober. I can't even say I'm vigilant about watching out for head games from my AV anymore. The drinking thing doesn't enter into my life. So I don't really have a plan about not drinking, anymore than I have a plan about not buying drugs. My plans are more about how I can best live my life for maximum enjoyment. Nothing is extraordinary about this. I would simply describe life as "good," and I don't need more than that.
Old 09-09-2019, 07:11 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Sounds great 👍
Old 09-09-2019, 07:19 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

For me, when I got sober, I learned I wasn't the best resource. (I'm not saying this applies to other people, just sharing my experience in case it will help anyone.)

The brain that was trying to get me to drink wasn't the brain I wanted to rely on to get myself sober. My main plan was to stop listening to the chatter in my head and do what other people suggested.

I ended up getting sober through AA and the use of another website.

I did the steps with a sponsor, went to meetings, posted to get feedback and encourage people. And I reached out when I wanted to drink.

I had to keep it simple because I was barely functional. I slept a lot. I could barely read or concentrate on TV. I ate. Meetings and website. I think that was about it.

The early days were rough--so my recovery plan was to make it through the day without a drink by any means necessary. Post. Go to a meeting. Call my sponsor or someone else.

It gets much easier and I no longer think about recovery. It's just life now.

I wish you the best in your recovery. It gets much better.
Old 09-09-2019, 07:22 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Good morning . um. As to a plan. Well I guess I have a plan. These are some of the things I do to keep me sober. One is I am on this site quite often. Posting.reading sharing. I have a personal relationship with my higher power. I live for the moment. I dont drink .....um I dont drink. Did I mention I dont drink? Lol. I read a lot of recovery stuff. Playing the tape is a tool is use too. I dont want to feel sick like that anymore.. I dont let booze dictate my life anymore. Thus frees me from that ball and chain. ✌
Old 09-09-2019, 07:30 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  
Administrator

There is lots of good information and ideas here:

https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums...at-we-did.html (Recovery Programs & What to Expect (What We Did))
Old 09-09-2019, 07:52 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Thank you feeling really positive ❤️
Old 09-09-2019, 08:28 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  
Sobriety is Traditional

Mummy, as far as a recovery plan goes, I like the Twelve Steps of AA. The Steps are concise and simple, and there's a fantastic program of meetings with other alcoholics to help work the Steps.
Old 09-09-2019, 09:04 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Thanks I have been to A.A. before, I am reading the books at the moment again 👍
Old 09-09-2019, 09:29 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Mummyto2 View Post
Thanks I have been to A.A. before, I am reading the books at the moment again 👍
I just ordered the 12 Steps and the Big Book and will get around to reading them. The Big Book kinda confused me as to the point. We read it nightly in rehab and it just seemed to be a collection of stories. Ok? We all have stories, the folks in AA have stories. Why am I reading a story from the 1920s? LOL.

Since I've often struggled with religion, one of the Dr's via the counselor gave me this book called "More Than Meets the Eye" (No, it's not about the Transformers). It's a book that connects God to science. I found it a very clever move on his part to appeal to my more analytical and science oriented mind who openly admitted my bordering on agnostic/atheist. I'm only half way through it, but it really changed my perspective on a Higher Power (to an extent).

I guess the point is, there are a lot of books on recovery out there that can appeal to all of us. If the Big Book doesn't do it for one person in a recovery plan, look in a different direction. Even Russell Brand's "Recovery" if you happen to be a full blown atheist.