Notices

Dreams

Old 09-05-2019, 05:17 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Dreams

I haven't posted for a while. I went back into myself to try and fix myself day 20. Now my sleep is returning but I am having dreams so vivid and real that when I open my eyes I have to check. A) where I am, B) that I am alone, C) this did not happen. I feel insane even mentioning it but these dreams are with people I once knew as much as people I never knew.
All of them scare me because they seem so real.
Old 09-05-2019, 05:19 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Hey friend.. Good job on day 20. The dreams and stuff will fade with more sober time. ✌
Old 09-05-2019, 05:23 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

To add clarity, I am a journalist, so people I interviewed are creeping in. Sometimes famous sometimes not. But they not people I value on a personal level. Just people I spent 20-30 minutes with. But these dreams are insane
Old 09-05-2019, 05:23 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Vivid dreams seemed to be the norm in early sobriety. I’m weird though, I’ve always loved dreams, good or bad. The more vivid the better.
Old 09-05-2019, 05:26 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by SoberRican View Post
Hey friend.. Good job on day 20. The dreams and stuff will fade with more sober time. ✌
they scare me to be honest. I mean actually scare me. I have been in prison (I visited for a day to see the inner workings). I spent a day with Nicole Kidman. I spoke to her as part of a press tour for five minutes. That kind of dreaming
Old 09-05-2019, 05:31 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I personally enjoy dreams where I don't know I'm dreaming. I think it is a sign of REM sleep and it's good for your brain.

Drinking a lot of alcohol inhibits REM sleep and makes it tough for your body and brain to get rest.
Old 09-05-2019, 05:40 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by ThatWasTheOldMe View Post
I personally enjoy dreams where I don't know I'm dreaming. I think it is a sign of REM sleep and it's good for your brain.

Drinking a lot of alcohol inhibits REM sleep and makes it tough for your body and brain to get rest.
There is an element of enjoying them too. You want to know what happens next. But when you wake and try to talk to these people and then realise they aren't there. I am 37 and I know I was pretty much end stage. I have fought back. But I don't need this.
Old 09-05-2019, 05:42 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Administrator

Vivid dreams were certainly a part of my early recovery. There's nothing to worry about, I reckon

D
Old 09-05-2019, 06:05 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Dee74 View Post
Vivid dreams were certainly a part of my early recovery. There's nothing to worry about, I reckon

D
it is an improvement on the indistinguishable radio that played in my head for days. In this case I am glad I am alone, because I wake and try to speak more to the people in the dream. And then realise it is only me
Old 09-08-2019, 12:30 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

I have recurring nightmares about my mother being cremated after her death last year. I actually visualize her corpse inside the oven being consumed in flames. I jolt awake every time. REM sleep is hard to maintain when I have so many demons waiting for me. I'm sure that it is directed related to my alcohol consumption which really messes with neurotransmitters.
Old 09-08-2019, 04:04 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Quitting is also stressful and vivid dreams can be part of that too, but yes I had them and they do fade in time. It used to be such a relief to wake up and know it was just a dream.
Old 09-08-2019, 06:45 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
~sb

your brain is healing, let it heal.

these dreams will return to "normal" soon enough!!
Old 09-08-2019, 06:50 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Some medications can contribute to dreaming (antidepressents)…

I'm sorry this is a struggle for you....I hope it stops soon....

Are you just venting OR are you saying...if they don't stop you are afraid you will drink again to surpress them? I'm just curious.
Old 09-08-2019, 07:07 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

I absolutely loathe the vivid dreams. They are never good for me. Never.
Old 10-16-2019, 05:17 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

How are you doing now?
Old 10-16-2019, 07:51 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Hi, I had those kind of dreams extensively at first and now four months in I still have them occasionally (like this morning).
I agree that the brain needs to heal and dreams are the subconscious working things out.
It has gotten much better though so hang in there.
Old 10-16-2019, 07:20 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  
waking down

Mindful, nonjudgmental observation: When I have a disturbing thought I touch my head and think, "Just a thought." When I have a challenging emotion I touch my heart and think, "Just an emotion." When I have a crazy dream I place both feet on the floor and think, "Just a dream."

Epictetus said we are not disturbed by things, but by the view we take of them. When we judge our dreams we give them power.