Notices

Psychotherapy

Old 09-02-2019, 07:18 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Psychotherapy

I know a few of you know about my struggles. Which have been tough to deal with at times, but there is light at the end of the tunnel.
After my diagnosis,it was agreed I would go to psychotherapy. I've been waiting for confirmation for a while. Last week my psychiatrist phoned to say that it will soon be going ahead. I'm attending a session once a week for 9mths. It's just a case of waiting for a letter to arrive. My medication was tweaked and it seems that now it's really starting to help with my crazy brain.
( well I think it is )
I have a lot of fear facing old wounds but to go forward I have to go back. Maybe subconsciously that's why I drank to stop the chat. I just don't know.
I'm feeling positive again. Even though I did drink, im feeling ok today ( maybe because it wasn't a bender)
I don't have the answers, but I'm getting further in treatment than I ever have before. I dont know what the future holds (nobody does) but I'm never giving up.
I have to keep going no matter how painful.
Thank you all for your kind words in my other thread. That's was an emotional day.
I can't think too far ahead right now, I have too just think of today.
Much love as always, an a huge hug for anyone that is struggling today.
Doris xxx
Old 09-02-2019, 07:42 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Hi Doris, I'm glad you;ve got a go ahead to start some therapy.

I've had a lot myself throughout my life. It is hard, and can be scary, but it can also really help. It's like quitting drinking in a way too- you only have to do one but at a time, the therapy I mean. It can seem overwhelming to start but you can judge the pace in a way that is safe for you.

I hope you get a good therapist you connect with. Take care.
Old 09-02-2019, 11:16 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Sounds like you've now got a good set up to move forward
Old 09-02-2019, 11:37 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Doris47 View Post
I have a lot of fear facing old wounds but to go forward I have to go back. Maybe subconsciously that's why I drank to stop the chat. I just don't know.
That's the thing; We don't know. If we did, we wouldn't need psychotherapy. Everything in psychotherapy for me was a surprise. For me it was not about revisiting old wounds. It was about addressing my current feelings, which sometimes led back to old wounds. I had no problem with old wounds. What scared the bejabbers out of me was the anxiety that would occur before any major insight occurred. Oddly, the terror of the anxiety was always replaced by elation when the insight finally came that brought new understanding about myself. I actually liked myself more when I got to know me, rather than liking myself less. It always made me wonder why I thought my unconscious was something horrible and distasteful. It wasn't like that at all.
Old 09-02-2019, 12:13 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Not Alone

Originally Posted by Doris47 View Post
I know a few of you know about my struggles. Which have been tough to deal with at times, but there is light at the end of the tunnel.
After my diagnosis,it was agreed I would go to psychotherapy. I've been waiting for confirmation for a while. Last week my psychiatrist phoned to say that it will soon be going ahead. I'm attending a session once a week for 9mths. It's just a case of waiting for a letter to arrive. My medication was tweaked and it seems that now it's really starting to help with my crazy brain.
( well I think it is )
I'm feeling positive again. Even though I did drink, im feeling ok today ( maybe because it wasn't a bender)
I don't have the answers, but I'm getting further in treatment than I ever have before. I dont know what the future holds (nobody does) but I'm never giving up.
I have to keep going no matter how painful.
Thank you all for your kind words in my other thread. That's was an emotional day.
I can't think too far ahead right now, I have too just think of today.
Much love as always, an a huge hug for anyone that is struggling today.
Doris xxx
Hey Doris,

Much respect for seeking help from a professional. I've seen counsellors before and always found the experiences very beneficial. I hope you find it helpful.

Natom
Old 09-02-2019, 04:32 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Glad to hear you are feeling more stable on your meds and good luck with the therapy Doris.
Old 09-02-2019, 05:09 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Administrator

I hope it helps Doris

D