Notices

3 days on from Relapse

Old 09-01-2019, 12:18 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

3 days on from Relapse

Still dealing with the aftermath of my relapse lots of anxiety and a lot of regret and Deppression.

i have not drank for 3 days. That one night of drinking made me vomit, but me in danger and has really set me back.

I have been off sick for the last week but will try to go to work tomorrow.

5 months 9 days I thought it had it cracked but one bad spell of Deppression was all it took.

What to do now? Just try again.

Anyone thinking of drinking again please look at my experience and just don’t do it.
Old 09-01-2019, 12:24 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Thank you for the warning. Six months sober and I know I have to be ever vigilant. You have to start again and that time sober showed that you can.
Old 09-01-2019, 12:45 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Not Alone

Originally Posted by Stable View Post
Still dealing with the aftermath of my relapse lots of anxiety and a lot of regret and Deppression.

i have not drank for 3 days. That one night of drinking made me vomit, but me in danger and has really set me back.

I have been off sick for the last week but will try to go to work tomorrow.

5 months 9 days I thought it had it cracked but one bad spell of Deppression was all it took.

Anyone thinking of drinking again please look at my experience and just don’t do it.
Hey stable,

In a somewhat similar situation to you. Tried kicking my opiate addiction cold turkey last weekend and ended up using. I was off work anyway and then ended up with a major medical issue not related to my drug use that's kept me off work until tomorrow.

I'm still coming to terms with what I've done. The only advice I can give you is to search for the positive points from the slip. What have you learnt from it? What can you change in the future? You can start looking into why it happened and then put procedures in place to stop it happening in the future.

Relapses are not always negative. Sometimes they provide you with the experience to continue sobriety with more resolve etc.

Good luck.

Natom
Old 09-01-2019, 03:08 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Administrator

Stable, I'm glad you're back and doing better.

Since it was a bout of depression that caused this past relapse, maybe you could try to come up with some ways to cope if that happens again. I have a playlist that I use for such times, and I have a few books that I rely on, too. Maybe you could prepare yourself.
Old 09-01-2019, 03:21 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

I learned from my last relapse, that drinking made my depression worse, not better. At around 3 months sober, I was not 'feeling it' and it was suggested that I start practicing gratitude every day. It helped me a lot and even made me happier.

https://www.nytimes.com/2015/11/22/o...pier.html?_r=0
Old 09-01-2019, 06:43 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Administrator

A lot of people do just this and find that simply trying - doing the same things again - leads them back to the same result.

Think about what happened, and why, and tweak your plan according...do you need more support? more changes in your life? better use of the support you already have?

Only you can answer those questions,. but don't just 'try again'...make a plan and take a stand Stable
Old 09-02-2019, 04:58 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Hello. Not everyone " gets it" on the first try. For those that do awesome. For some that don't . well theres a thing called plan B what that is you dont know till you analyze the situation. Then take corrective action. Feel me. The thing is not giving up. If it were easy we wouldnt be here. I have 121 days sober and I am always tweaking my plan. But yet keeping it simple. Cause you know us boozers dont like nothing complicated.lol. ✌
Old 09-02-2019, 09:13 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

I am glad you made it back - but even more, echo what Dee says about changing what you do to stay sober.

I don't believe we get unlimited chances.
Old 09-02-2019, 10:34 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Stable View Post
5 months 9 days I thought it had it cracked but one bad spell of Deppression was all it took....
A lot of people get badly depressed at times, especially early on, me included. You might think you're different, or your depression is special, but lots of people don't blame their drinking on depression and don't pick up a drink over it. It's dangerous to latch onto reasons for why you had to drink.

By the way, you don't crack the bottle; it cracks you.