Notices

Relapse

Old 08-30-2019, 02:25 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Relapse

After 5 months 9 days I relapsed last night. I have been deppressed all week and thought it drink would help.

I had an awful night and an awful day today. However I have not continued to drink today. Should I reset my sober date of treat it as a slip.

i still have a lot of booze in my home.

I thought i cracked it and it and all of a sudden I relapsed. I am so upset about it.
Old 08-30-2019, 02:57 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Stable - That happened to most of us at some point. The last time I caved & thought it would help me feel better - I learned from it. I felt so horrible that I had to admit it could never be an answer for me. The relief I once felt from drinking would never return. That was the final time I ever drank - over 11 yrs. ago.

You will benefit from this - never forget how it made you feel.
I'm glad you wanted to talk about it. You will get free!
Old 08-30-2019, 03:01 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Friendly Folk

It happens to most of us. Call it what you want. I called my slips a "bump in the road". It never threw me off course. I always learned from it and became wiser. Don't beat yourself up about. More past it and keep going forward.
Old 08-30-2019, 03:13 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
not a greeter

Try not to be too upset with yourself. It’s counterproductive. Easier said than done I know. Pick yourself up and start moving forward towards sobriety again. First off, dump the alcohol or give it to a friend/neighbor immediately. If you go to AA tonight would be a good time to go .
Old 08-30-2019, 03:20 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

This goes with the territory. No worries we all have been there. Dust your knees off and keep plugging away. You can do this...your AV is going to try to convince you that you already messed up so might as well keep doing it.....dont its a lie. Hop back on the sober train. Theres always a seat available. Stay strong ✌
Old 08-30-2019, 03:23 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Thanks for your replies. I hear some are able to moderate for a while.

This is was not the case for me last night and I suffered negative consequences straight away.

i will try to learn from it and bounce back.
Old 08-30-2019, 03:24 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Administrator

I'm sorry you relapsed but I'm glad you have stopped drinking. You can get back on track again. I hope that you get rid of the alcohol you have in your house.
Old 08-30-2019, 03:28 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi Stable

I got into the habit early of coming here whenever I started to think a drink was a good ideas, or it might fix something.

My inner addict was never pleased with me when I did post here instead but I was always very pleased waking up sober the next morning.

I get starting again might feel demoralising but for me it was vital I be honest - I could just as easily rationalise 5 months nine days with 2 or 3 slops as with one.

A more important question for me tho is - what changes are you going to make to your recovery programme now?

D
Old 08-30-2019, 03:32 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Canine Welfare Advocate

Originally Posted by Stable View Post
Should I reset my sober date of treat it as a slip.
You drank. Learn from it, pick up where you left off, but don't use euphemisms like slip to de-emphasis what happened. If you drank you are still in the grip of your addiction. That's always serious.
Old 08-30-2019, 03:33 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Well I will go to the GP for a start.
Old 08-30-2019, 06:07 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

i think i'd start here:

i still have a lot of booze in my home.

it's time to protect your sobriety. set yourself up for sober success.
Old 08-30-2019, 06:12 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

If it were me and I drank deliberately, I'd change my sobriety date. The last time I relapsed, it was after 6 months sober. I was so disappointed in myself. But it made my determination stronger and I haven't had a drink since then, and that was almost 10 yrs ago. If I can do it, so can you.
Old 08-30-2019, 06:24 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

I haven't had a drink for five years, five months and some change. The continuous count did two things for me:

1. Those 5+ years are precious to me. It represents a commitment I made to my future self and I kept that promise. I don't want to lose that streak for anything. I'm afraid if I lost that streak I wouldn't make it back and I really believe it would kill me or make me homeless.

2. The healing doesn't get to happen fully and completely with forays back into drinking. I didn't feel "well" for almost a year. I mean, yeah I felt a heckofalot better after a few months sober, but I didn't know how Good it was going to get at the one year mark and beyond. I wish I could give that feeling to everyone who struggles in that first year.

I'm glad you made it back. It's more common that people go back out and die or totally blow up their lives within a short time. I've heard that story many times.

Be careful out there.
Old 08-30-2019, 06:59 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

No one moderates, don't believe them if they tell you otherwise. Those who can don't need to, those who need to can't.

Like others have said, dust yourself off, get rid of the booze. Matter of taking care of the task at hand. Good for you for coming back.
Old 08-31-2019, 02:48 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Stable - How are you doing today? Thinking of you.