Notices

The Hijacked Brain

Old 08-28-2019, 06:30 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

The Hijacked Brain

Hi folks - I am a newcomer to this forum, but not a newcomer to AUD.
45 years of drinking poison with intermittent times of not drinking have led me to know that my brain was/has been hijacked by alcohol -even when not drinking. Alcohol has changed the wiring in my brain, just as it has done to others who suffer from this brain disorder.

Baclofen, along with a few other chemicals and lifestyle changes have certainly helped to cut my drinking quantity. Nevertheless, it seems as though my brain is implanted with the thought(s) that alcohol will help me to feel better -regardless of how I a feeling.

Peace to all.
Old 08-28-2019, 06:42 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi and welcome cmart

Yeah meds alone wouldn't have worked for me - I needed to focus on that desire thought - those rationalidations for drinking again - and devise strategies to beat those thoughts.

Posting here at least daily - or more than daily if I need it - really helped me devise those strategies and keep them operational

Support really helps

D
Old 08-29-2019, 04:25 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Welcome! You will find lots of good advice here.
Old 08-29-2019, 04:38 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Hi and welcome! I'm with you on the AUD label, something the UK has yet to incorporate into its lexicon. I think a lot more people could be helped (rather than having to admit to alcoholism/be diagnosed as dependent to be treated) but the cynic in me thinks the NHS wouldn't want that burden.

And those thoughts are definitely a big part of the condition; as AA has it: what we're facing up to is indeed cunning, baffling and powerful.
Old 08-29-2019, 06:39 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
waking down

It's about neural pathways. Substances make it a double whammy because we have a habit combined with the substance. It's about rewiring. Check this out: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ELpfYCZa87g
Old 08-29-2019, 08:50 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Blue Belt

I drank since i was a little kid. I quit so far med free...sort of. I get high almost daily through exercise and kindness.

I also do a little caffein and other otc meds.

I really had no choice but to quit. I was losing my ability to do some things and i decided i wasn't going out like that.

Thanks.
Old 08-30-2019, 11:13 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Dee74 View Post
Hi and welcome cmart

Yeah meds alone wouldn't have worked for me - I needed to focus on that desire thought - those rationalidations for drinking again - and devise strategies to beat those thoughts.

Posting here at least daily - or more than daily if I need it - really helped me devise those strategies and keep them operational

Support really helps

D
Thank you very much for your reply.
Old 08-30-2019, 11:16 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Foggyriver View Post
Welcome! You will find lots of good advice here.
Thank you.
Old 08-30-2019, 11:24 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

This is GREAT information ...in the video. It actually shows Neuroplasticity in an easy to understand way. "Habit combined with the addictive substance =double whammey" is spot on.

(would not let me repost the link -till I have 25 posts)
Thank you for your comment and information.
Old 08-30-2019, 11:29 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by D122y View Post
I drank since i was a little kid. I quit so far med free...sort of. I get high almost daily through exercise and kindness.

I also do a little caffein and other otc meds.

I really had no choice but to quit. I was losing my ability to do some things and i decided i wasn't going out like that.

Thanks.
Hi D122y -Thanks for commenting. I've always looked for a softer, easier way out. I have come to accept the fact that it does take considerable effort to modify the habit factor, even if one takes medications that totaly remove the physical requirement and mental craving desire.
Old 08-30-2019, 11:44 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Thank you all for welcoming me and thank you for thoughts, facts, and opinions. I look forward to becoming a part of your community and learning more, receiving support, and also offering factual information. I have been at this a long time. I am grateful that I no longer HAVE to drink all of the time. However, the desire to change the way that I feel or think -at any given moment, always leads back to "hey, remember there is alcohol -it can alter your thinking and help you to feel or not feel ....xyz". There truly is no freedom of life, if I allow alcohol to remain a choice.
Old 08-30-2019, 12:26 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Congratulations on your decision to seek help, cmart.

We're delighted to have you on our collective journey.

You will get the benefit of the wisdom of many people who have gotten and stayed clean and sober.

For me, I have sought and obtained help through AA.

It has worked for a long time and continues to work each day.

Please be sure to stick around on this forum and keep us posted as to your efforts, your successes and your challenges.
Old 09-03-2019, 06:44 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by SoberCAH View Post
Congratulations on your decision to seek help, cmart.

We're delighted to have you on our collective journey.

You will get the benefit of the wisdom of many people who have gotten and stayed clean and sober.

For me, I have sought and obtained help through AA.

It has worked for a long time and continues to work each day.

Please be sure to stick around on this forum and keep us posted as to your efforts, your successes and your challenges.
Thank you very much SoberCAH. Your words and thoughts are encouraging and I do want to make this site a part of the journey to freedom.
Old 09-03-2019, 06:54 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Thank you all -sincerely.

As my thoughts and actions continue my road to a 100% AF life, I am grateful to meet others on this same journey -those who have accomplished their living lives without alcohol and the greatness associated therein with their new lives. I also am grateful to those, like myself, that keep on trying to find the road to true freedom and happiness. I have experienced both of these roads in the past 40 years, have enjoyed both roads at different times, (and hated), but I know for a fact that real-life (happiness, joy, and peace) only occurs on the AF road.
My brain does not cooperate with me in accepting this reality most times. As an oletimer used to tell my "xyz, your brain is out to get a piece of your arse every time you drink.....I now know exactly what he was talking about. P to All.
Old 09-03-2019, 07:38 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by cmart63 View Post
...my brain is implanted with the thought(s) that alcohol will help me to feel better....
There's nothing wrong with your brain. Your brain is working just fine. Your brain is correct. Alcohol will definitely make you feel better.

The problem is that the "feel better" only lasts for a short time and the consequences can be long-lasting and severe.
Old 09-03-2019, 07:52 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Yes I agree - the highest and only freedom for the addict is in not having a choice. This place can get and keep you sober, it did for me. Welcome again.
Old 09-04-2019, 02:50 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by lessgravity View Post
Yes I agree - the highest and only freedom for the addict is in not having a choice. This place can get and keep you sober, it did for me. Welcome again.
Thank you for commenting lessgravity. I feel (and know) that life has so much more to offer me -IF- I will just allow it to do so......meaning if I allow myself the opportunity to become sober and free.
Old 09-04-2019, 03:19 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  
Life Goes On

Hey, cmart, good to have you on board!

For me, I had to separate quitting alcohol from the promise of a better life. For me, associating the two or making them contingent on each other is a mind game I can't win. Better to stop and stay stopped, see what comes along the way, and hope that eventually a better life will emerge.

Not sure if that makes any sense to you, but thought I'd put it out there in case it might...

Welcome,
O
Old 02-11-2020, 04:59 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Dee74 View Post
Hi and welcome cmart

Yeah, meds alone wouldn't have worked for me - I needed to focus on that desire thought - those rationalizations for drinking again - and devise strategies to beat those thoughts.
Back to square 1,133 for me Dee. Actually, life has been going along quite well, and sometimes, quite well presents challenges for me. If I would/will be more honest with myself, even if not to anyone else, I really would be in a position to be more authentic and feel free.
Old 02-11-2020, 05:11 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  
~sb

Let go of your security blanket and try sobriety!