Notices

Letting go of the bar life

Old 08-24-2019, 02:39 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Letting go of the bar life

The first four months of sobriety were tough. I didn’t help they I would go to the old bar play quick draw and drink soda maybe 2 times a week. It was hard to let go.
It was a charade , I was quite bored same conversation s etc. then one day I hit quick draw for 600$ but they couldn’t pay me. I was going to go into one of my tirades but then I just stopped myself thinking what the hell am I doing here?
Bartender told me to come back tomorrow and they would pay me. I just said nah I don’t think I’ll be back here tomorrow . I never went back that was 18 months ago , don’t regret it either. I had to ditch the old life and it felt good.
Cashed the ticket at a card store the next day split it three ways and gave it to my kids.
You can’t live dual lives . You have to put 100% into your sobriety or nothing changes.
Old 08-24-2019, 02:45 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

Yes, I agree with you. You made the right choice to protect your recovery.
Old 08-24-2019, 03:34 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Administrator

I agree with you too Kdon. My old life was all about drinking. My new life had to be all about recovery

D
Old 08-24-2019, 04:33 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I agree, too. Inspiring post. Thanks.
Old 08-24-2019, 06:39 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Good job on your part.
I never lived a bar life...so it I so easy for me to be in a bar and not even want to drink.

You have to do what works for you and I'm glad you have come to terms with the fact that for YOU...the bar has to be left behind....Giving yourself better chances at keeping the drink DOWN.
Old 08-24-2019, 07:09 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I definitely relate. Thanks for posting!

Originally Posted by Kdon853 View Post
The first four months of sobriety were tough. I didn’t help they I would go to the old bar play quick draw and drink soda maybe 2 times a week. It was hard to let go.
It was a charade , I was quite bored same conversation s etc. then one day I hit quick draw for 600$ but they couldn’t pay me. I was going to go into one of my tirades but then I just stopped myself thinking what the hell am I doing here?
Bartender told me to come back tomorrow and they would pay me. I just said nah I don’t think I’ll be back here tomorrow . I never went back that was 18 months ago , don’t regret it either. I had to ditch the old life and it felt good.
Cashed the ticket at a card store the next day split it three ways and gave it to my kids.
You can’t live dual lives . You have to put 100% into your sobriety or nothing changes.
I'm dealing with this right now. Bar hopping has been a favorite past time for so long. I live in a small town and always loved how many people I'd run into going out to the bars. Truth is they weren't really friends, just aquaintences with a drinking problem like me. I am home alone this Saturday night. Feel pretty good but sometimes I just feel like if I'm not out somewhere I'm
​​​​​​missing out on all the fun. I've got to appreciate how enjoyable it can be to do other things and plan to socialize in other places besides bars.
Old 08-24-2019, 08:08 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I love that, “you can’t live dual lives.”
Old 08-24-2019, 09:12 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

I usually drank at home by myself so didn't have the bar scene to miss. But I had to remake myself as a non drinker. I had to learn to be at home by myself and not drink out of habit. At first it was hard, like learning a foreign language. But it got easier with time.
Old 08-24-2019, 09:23 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Thanks for posting this. It's very inspiring.

I hate to think on all the time I wasted at a bar. I was mostly a home drinker, but went to the bar plenty of times every week. I never fit in well. Maybe that was a good thing in the long run.
Old 08-26-2019, 03:39 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

There's nothing about bar life that appeals to me anymore. It's a waste of time.
Old 08-26-2019, 04:21 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

For me the bar thing I didnt do too much. Why ? I'm cheap...lol. No seriously. As my addiction grew I needed more booze so it was more cost effective . if that makes any sense. Now 114 days later if I go to a pub I go to eat or play pool. And that is morw cost effective. For the most part I dont go