Needing advise and support

Old 08-24-2019, 08:59 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Needing advise and support

I am back on this site, of course that means that I am needing some advise and support. I originally posted in 2017 and yes I am still in love with my alcoholic addict.

We have some really great times and then times of conflict. Long story short, my alcoholic addict feels that I have hurt his feelings and he has broken up with me.

He tells me he always thinks of me. I am thinking that communication is a huge part of where we are at. He blocked me from social media and even blocked my number. I eventually reached out to him and we spoke for about an hour. He figures it was me calling from a blocked number and he answered the call. We later spoke a week later when I called from the blocked number and he told me that he unblocked me. We spoke for another two hours that time. He expressed that he didn’t feel that I put up his pictures of him and felt I was not talking about him with my co workers. He felt I wasn’t proud of him. I know he is feeling insecure and I was reassuring him that he is important to me.

More went on about commitment. I asked why he never asked for me to commit to him and he told me that he had planned to and even down to how he was going to ask me. I have learned more about him in his insecure attachment and the recovery. I don’t feel that he has been putting in the work in his recovery.

I want ant to support him in any way I can. I have a letter written that I want to send him. The letter is just a reflection of our 2 year relationship. The letter is supportive of him and his recovery and goes on to tell him what a great man he is.

Any advise?
Old 08-24-2019, 11:26 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Don’t reward a tantrum unless you want more of them?

I am tired and blunt today, so I’m sorry if that sounds harsh. But the “prove how much you love me or I’m taking my marbles and going home” stuff is just manipulative, immature, and sad.

If you jump through an emotional hoop every time he demands it, you’re going to be doing a lot of jumping.

“I don’t feel that he has been putting in the work in his recovery. “

This says it all, yes?

You are not responsible for how he feels. Being supportive does not mean being an emotional hostage.

Sending you hope for strength and clarity...
Old 08-24-2019, 11:27 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Any advice?

Mine is step away. Do not let yourself get pulled into this insanity and chaos. Do not send him that letter. Erm, all he has done is list your "failings". You don't need or deserve that.

I expect reality is he is looking for a fall back enabler. That would be you!

Focus on you and building the life you want. The wonderful fulfilling life you deserve. All the best to you.
Old 08-24-2019, 04:11 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

This is a pattern you have gotten in to. Nothing has changed in the last - almost - 2 years, you are right where you were then.

He gets his feelings hurt or pulls away for whatever reason (recovery, hurt feelings etc) and breaks up with you.

You two continue to stay in contact, make up and continue on.

That's not changing, as I said, it's exactly the same place you were at 2-ish years ago.

Now that's ok, if you are ok with that. Breaking up, patching things up, getting back together. That is what you have and that is - what you have.

I don't think a letter or any amount of talking is going to change that pattern, do you?

You have said this in all your posts pretty much:

I want ant to support him in any way I can
Is that what you are looking for advice on? Generally my advice on that is, you didn't Cause it, can't Control it and can't Cure it (the 3 c's), which is often stated in this forum.

Why?

Because you can't. Recovery from addiction is an inside job, for him to accomplish. Now if by support you mean - I don't know, watching a comedy with him when he needs cheering up - I guess that's helpful? But you can't "fix" him, you can't change him and why would you want to anyway? He is who he is.

So how about just carrying on as you always have? Does that work for you? If not you are the only person who can change that dynamic. If you are not happy with this tell him you need a commitment and don't want to do this back and forth thing anymore.
Old 08-24-2019, 05:16 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Sometimes we quickly become addicted to the toxic and destructive cycle of breaking up... getting back together... fighting... breaking up... returning... repeat, repeat, repeat. Things never change if things don’t change. Things never get better... Same, same, same. Ugh this pattern gets pretty bad. So you’re then dealing with multiple levels of addiction. Including your own. I was right there in many ways. The toxic repetition becomes quite destructive and I’ll tell you... over time, this eats away at your strength and well being. It isn’t healthy. And everything gets blurred... because everything is so unhealthy. He’s definitely manipulating you but you’re taking part in the toxic cycle. Individual therapy helps... then deciding what you truly want for yourself. Not what’s best for him... what’s best for you!
Old 08-24-2019, 05:45 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Ariesagain View Post
Don’t reward a tantrum unless you want more of them?

I am tired and blunt today, so I’m sorry if that sounds harsh. But the “prove how much you love me or I’m taking my marbles and going home” stuff is just manipulative, immature, and sad.

If you jump through an emotional hoop every time he demands it, you’re going to be doing a lot of jumping.

“I don’t feel that he has been putting in the work in his recovery. “

This says it all, yes?

You are not responsible for how he feels. Being supportive does not mean being an emotional hostage.

Sending you hope for strength and clarity...
Thank you so much, your advise is much appreciated.
I agree he hasn’t put in the work, just wants to blame me for everything. I will support from a distance but do not want to be that emotional hostage.
Old 08-24-2019, 05:47 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by PeacefulWater12 View Post
Any advice?

Mine is step away. Do not let yourself get pulled into this insanity and chaos. Do not send him that letter. Erm, all he has done is list your "failings". You don't need or deserve that.

I expect reality is he is looking for a fall back enabler. That would be you!

Focus on you and building the life you want. The wonderful fulfilling life you deserve. All the best to you.
Thank you so much, I truly appreciate this site for the support I needed.
Old 08-24-2019, 05:58 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by trailmix View Post
This is a pattern you have gotten in to. Nothing has changed in the last - almost - 2 years, you are right where you were then.

He gets his feelings hurt or pulls away for whatever reason (recovery, hurt feelings etc) and breaks up with you.

That's not changing, as I said, it's exactly the same place you were at 2-ish years ago.

Now that's ok, if you are ok with that. Breaking up, patching things up, getting back together. That is what you have and that is - what you have.

I don't think a letter or any amount of talking is going to change that pattern, do you?

Thank you, yes I wouldn’t mind the example of watching a movie or program to cheer him up. I needed to hear the 3 C’s , I did not cause it, I can’t cite it and I can’t control it. ...I will not send the letter.

His behavior has has not changed. I agree that I should step back and let him focus on what he needs to do in the program. Your support is so helpful.

Is that what you are looking for advice on? Generally my advice on that is, you didn't Cause it, can't Control it and can't Cure it (the 3 c's), which is often stated in this forum.

Why?

Because you can't. Recovery from addiction is an inside job, for him to accomplish. Now if by support you mean - I don't know, watching a comedy with him when he needs cheering up - I guess that's helpful? But you can't "fix" him, you can't change him and why would you want to anyway? He is who he is.

So how about just carrying on as you always have? Does that work for you? If not you are the only person who can change that dynamic. If you are not happy with this tell him you need a commitment and don't want to do this back and forth thing anymore.
Thank you
Old 08-24-2019, 06:14 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

I am back on this site, of course that means that I am needing some advise and support. I originally posted in 2017 and yes I am still in love with my alcoholic addict.We have some really great times and then times of conflict. Long story short, my alcoholic addict feels that I have hurt his feelings and he has broken up with me.
You don't see what you've done, but are willing to accept blame for hurting his feelings, and over a misunderstanding,he has ended the relationship

He tells me he always thinks of me. I am thinking that communication is a huge part of where we are at. He blocked me from social media and even blocked my number.
That's pretty childish, even for a breakup

He expressed that he didn’t feel that I put up his pictures of him and felt I was not talking about him with my co workers. He felt I wasn’t proud of him.
He views his presence on your Facebook account as a barometer of your relationship. That's profoundly shallow and immature

More went on about commitment. I asked why he never asked for me to commit to him and he told me that he had planned to and even down to how he was going to ask me.
He never asked because he wants all the commitment to come from you before he commits...if he ever does

Addiction aside, is this what you want from a relationship? Is this the kind of partner you want? And...why?
Old 08-24-2019, 06:18 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Why?

Thank you so much. Your words are so helpful. I forget to remind myself that it is all for him to fix. I know all I can do is take care of me. I will keep your words for me to reflect back on.
Old 08-24-2019, 06:24 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by AIMH View Post
I asked why he never asked for me to commit to him and he told me that he had planned to
One of the things that drove me batty about AH: He was unemployed several times, the first for two years. The only thing I asked him to do while he was home all fricken' day was to do the dishes, so when I got home, I could start supper. I worked an hour away, so I was gone ten hours a day. That was if the traffic wasn't bad.

Every day, for two years, I came home to a kitchen full of dirty dishes. And every ____day, when I came home and saw them, he'd say, "I was gonna do that." He didn't offer to do them right then, he didn't make an effort to do it the next day. It didn't take a lot of planning. It didn't take a lot of effort. It fell under the category of "nothing to it but to do it."

If lover-boy wanted to "make it official" all he had to do was ask . He didn't. He still hasn't... has he?
Old 08-24-2019, 06:36 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by LifeChangeNYC View Post
Sometimes we quickly become addicted to the toxic and destructive cycle of breaking up... getting back together... fighting... breaking up... returning... repeat, repeat, repeat. Things never change if things don’t change. Things never get better... Same, same, same. Ugh this pattern gets pretty bad. So you’re then dealing with multiple levels of addiction. Including your own. I was right there in many ways. The toxic repetition becomes quite destructive and I’ll tell you... over time, this eats away at your strength and well being. It isn’t healthy. And everything gets blurred... because everything is so unhealthy. He’s definitely manipulating you but you’re taking part in the toxic cycle. Individual therapy helps... then deciding what you truly want for yourself. Not what’s best for him... what’s best for you!
I agree with you that things will stay the same if change doesn’t occur on both sides. I am seeking individual therapy. Yes, it is unhealthy. Thank you for your words. I appreciate all the advice and comments.
Old 08-24-2019, 06:42 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

The letter is supportive of him and his recovery and goes on to tell him what a great man he is.

what recovery and what greatness? he sounds like a whiny little man-boy. well to me.......

a letter won't change anything. whatever you are TRYING to convey, he won't GET. keep the letter, tie it to a balloon, burn it, save it to read when you are a year out from this mess.
Old 08-24-2019, 06:47 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by velma929 View Post
I am back on this site, of course that means that I am needing some advise and support. I originally posted in 2017 and yes I am still in love with my alcoholic addict.We have some really great times and then times of conflict. Long story short, my alcoholic addict feels that I have hurt his feelings and he has broken up with me.
You don't see what you've done, but are willing to accept blame for hurting his feelings, and over a misunderstanding,he has ended the relationship

I know what it was that hurt his feelings, but it should not have been something to end a relationship. Basically I chose my son over him and he felt he wasn’t the priority. He said if I loved him how could I have hurt him.
He tells me he always thinks of me. I am thinking that communication is a huge part of where we are at. He blocked me from social media and even blocked my number.
That's pretty childish, even for a breakup

He expressed that he didn’t feel that I put up his pictures of him and felt I was not talking about him with my co workers. He felt I wasn’t proud of him.
He views his presence on your Facebook account as a barometer of your relationship. That's profoundly shallow and immature
The pictures were not on Facebook. He was referring to me having them up around my house and on my desk at work.

More went on about commitment. I asked why he never asked for me to commit to him and he told me that he had planned to and even down to how he was going to ask me.
He never asked because he wants all the commitment to come from you before he commits...if he ever does
I agree

Addiction aside, is this what you want from a relationship? Is this the kind of partner you want? And...why?
I guess I was hoping that he would change. I did see the guy he is able to be, he just can’t seem to stay that guy. When he is working the program things are good and the great guy is there. He seems to step away and get over confidant and his ego gets in the way, then back to the guy that is not fun to be around.
Old 08-24-2019, 06:49 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by velma929 View Post
One of the things that drove me batty about AH: He was unemployed several times, the first for two years. The only thing I asked him to do while he was home all fricken' day was to do the dishes, so when I got home, I could start supper. I worked an hour away, so I was gone ten hours a day. That was if the traffic wasn't bad.

Every day, for two years, I came home to a kitchen full of dirty dishes. And every ____day, when I came home and saw them, he'd say, "I was gonna do that." He didn't offer to do them right then, he didn't make an effort to do it the next day. It didn't take a lot of planning. It didn't take a lot of effort. It fell under the category of "nothing to it but to do it."

If lover-boy wanted to "make it official" all he had to do was ask . He didn't. He still hasn't... has he?
No, you are correct. He hasn’t.
Old 08-25-2019, 09:29 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Please...please don’t marry this guy. Please.

Once he figures out you’re backing away he may well switch gears to keep you sucked in and propose.

PLEASE don’t marry him. Don’t even talk to him, but definitely definitely don’t decide that marriage would fix him.

Marriage won’t fix it.
Having children REALLY won’t fix it.
You wasting more of your life won’t fix it.

Do some reading here and you will see where you might end up if you stay stuck on his potential instead of accepting his reality.

Run.
Old 08-25-2019, 09:58 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

You do mention "support" often. What exactly does that mean to you? You mean talking to him, cheering him up? Listening to his problems?
Old 08-25-2019, 12:00 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

You do mention "support" often. What exactly does that mean to you? You mean talking to him, cheering him up? Listening to his problems?
By support, I mean supporting him in his recovery .
Understanding that his recovery comes first . Support in other ways that a relationship would involve. Listening to him and basically being there as a partner.
Support that couples give each other.
Old 08-25-2019, 12:28 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

and what exactly do you know about the recovery process?
i think you said once that he claimed to have five YEARS?
i think we often confuse "support" for "wanting to be more important to them" and have more of their time and attention, become their counselors and advisors.
they don't NEED us for their ongoing recovery. that is what support groups, therapists and counselors are for.

if i decided today to train for a marathon race, there is not a lot that my partner can DO for me. nor would i expect a lot. i'm the one that would have to lace up the shoes and go hit the pavement. i'm the one that would likely have to clean up my diet, develop a workout routine, follow a schedule of distances to run, timing, and whatever else is involved. i would not expect my partner to get up with me, run with me, any of that. it would be nice if they didn't INTERFERE.
Old 08-25-2019, 12:51 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Anvil makes a really great point.

Her partner might help her carry her marathon items bag back from the car.

ALL of the other things she is accomplishing in the example above take:

Self Discipline
Hard Work
Commitment
Willingness
Determination
Time
Willingness to ask for and accept help from others with experience and training

etc etc etc

Recovery is no different, it's HARD. That is why there are professionals. You can listen to him all day long, but until he does the hard work, nothing changes.

This isn't the type of thing a partner can really help with. This isn't a problem at work where you might have been in the same situation and have suggestions that he might take on board. This is a mental challenge and unless you are a psychiatrist or a trained mental health professional or at the very least an addict in successful recovery - your help is surface at best.

Please understand I say this kindly. It's just the reality of it that is harsh because it is harsh. No two ways about it.