Notices

Angry

Old 08-21-2019, 04:36 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Angry

I'm so angry right now I'm not even going to talk about my journey and the drink I'm just so so so angry.....I just don't understand how this world allows alcohol to be sold and how brainwashed we are into taking this drug
Old 08-21-2019, 05:10 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
nez

There is a lot in life that I don't understand.

Fortunately for me, it is not a requirement that I understand/or condone/ or like a situation, in order to respond to the situation in a healthy manner. It is great if I understand. Even better if I understand and condone. The ultimate is if I understand, condone, and like; but none of those are necessary.

I did a lot of damage to my soul with my drinking, all self inflicted.
The same thing can said about my anger.

Recovery has taught me how to respond in a healthy manner to situations that don't have my permission. A side benefit is that the longer I am sober, the more I understand and the less angry I am.
Old 08-21-2019, 05:24 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Louise
Old 08-21-2019, 08:10 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

We all have choices. We can choose for good or for bad. I hope you find a safe outlet for your anger. My moods were up and down in early recovery, but it got better with more sober time.
Old 08-21-2019, 08:44 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi Louise

There's a lot to be angry at in this world - all we can do is guide our efforts into the things we can change and making it a better place for us and for the generations that follow us.

I'm not actually angry at alcohol - I was the problem, not alcohol - but I am a veteran fighter against addiction, and that's a fight I want everyone here to win

D
Old 08-21-2019, 08:54 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I am angry, angry at myself for letting this drug win too many rounds in my life. I have had it with losing, I am going to turn this fight around and in the end its me and my family that get the win.

Louise the anger will subside with time, right now use it to fuel your fight.
Old 08-21-2019, 10:11 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Use it! Feel your feelings, process them and then act!

You don't need to let it brainwash you anymore!
Old 08-21-2019, 11:25 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Anger is an emotion its just how you handle it. Feel me. Easy way ....booze.......but theres a catch its only a band aid. Sober ...things can be handled different . thats just me tho
Old 08-22-2019, 11:23 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

I can't say I'm angry, but the ease with which our society has accepted alcohol is disturbing. Especially tying it up with socializing so much.

I don't think prohibition really works though, given as humans have always been knocking on the doors of perception, looking for altered states. But the crime statistics with alcohol talk for themselves. I can't really impose myself on other people because of my problems. I'd legalize everything but have much more education about it all.
Old 08-22-2019, 12:02 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

I was an angry young man many years ago. In sobriety there is a part of me that is still angry, that I believe will be angry in perpetuity. This is a great thing. The difference now is that I know how to channel that anger into something healthy and productive.

In about an hour I'm going to head to the gym, today is leg day for me. I hate leg day, it is torture. My behind is going to be sore tomorrow every time I attempt to sit down. I'm going to be "that guy" grunting trying to get one more squat in. I don't want to do it. What gets me pumped to go is the anger.

Remembering every person who looked at me with pity and disgust and said I was a lost cause. Thinking about how my employer was content to continue paying me peanuts all those years even though they knew I was deep in addiction. Reminiscing about how the hopelessness I felt and the times I thought about ending my life.

In the past I used to sit in the darkness and feel sorry for myself while drinking my life away. Today I think it is time to go do some squats whether I like it or not.
Old 08-23-2019, 02:21 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Glad you're here, Louise.

Alcohol does a lot more harm than good.

Just like tobacco and gambling.

Not for everyone, but for way too many.

I don't fight alcohol or alcoholism.

I just don't drink it and I try to live in a manner which will lessen the likelihood of my feeling the desire to do so.

I hope your anger subsides.