Notices

Beach today was magnificant

Old 08-20-2019, 07:08 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Beach today was magnificant

I normally take care of my Father daily...Today driving there..I was so SAD...STUCK....and kept thinking of the beach. I knew today was shower day for my Dad and I was just bummed!

When I walked in my Dads...his dementia and all...first thing he said to me was ARE YOU GOING TO THE BEACH? I never talk about the beach..nor was I going to go because I feel he needs me.

But when he asked me that particular QUESTION...I figured God was telling me to go do something good with my "sober" life.

I decided YES....I am going! And there will probably be no more beach this year ..because my Father is not doing well....So I went for it (after his shower..I gave him lunch and LEFT).

The beach is not somewhere I typically drink....So that was a good thing...And the person I went with responded quickly to a yes...and I love him dearly...

AND I am SO HAPPY.... I am "living" since giving up alcohol on June 24th....This is the 2nd time I have been to the beach.

I left everything at home...all my worries...and it was a very carefree afternoon.

I wish I could "give" my sobriety away...and I wish I could bottle these feelings....
Old 08-20-2019, 07:25 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Good for you Missy! During my heaviest drinking days I lived 1/2 a mile from the beach and rarely went, there were to many bars between the beach and my house, I always chose the bars
Old 08-20-2019, 07:34 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Administrator

I'm glad you had an enjoyable day Missy

D
Old 08-20-2019, 07:40 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Caretaking for parents is so stressful! Good job on getting Shower Day done AND some "Missy time" in.
How sweet that your Dad suggested it too.
Old 08-20-2019, 08:52 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I love the beach. I admire you for taking such good care of your father. Glad you had a good day.
Old 08-21-2019, 11:55 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

So pleased you’re happy

I love the beach too!
also it’s amazing that you’re caring for your Dad. I was an around the clock cater for my Gran who had dementia. I did it for 3 years and it got to the point where I had to be there 24/7 so I know how hard it can be. He’s lucky to have you.
Old 08-21-2019, 12:16 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Administrator

Missy, the beach is a 'go to' place for me, too. It's so important to listen to what you need and to act on it. I hope you continue to go to the beach often to find peace.
Old 08-21-2019, 01:26 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

That is so wonderful to hear! I just got back from a beach vacation. The beach has always been a spiritual, peaceful, and relaxing place for me. A lot of the meditation music I listen to has ocean waves in the background
Old 08-21-2019, 01:37 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Misssy - The beach never fails to improve my spirits & puts everything in perspective. I'm glad you had that lovely experience.
Old 08-21-2019, 02:31 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

[QUOTE=noaddedsugar;7252105]
So pleased you’re happy

I love the beach too!
also it’s amazing that you’re caring for your Dad. I was an around the clock cater for my Gran who had dementia. I did it for 3 years and it got to the point where I had to be there 24/7 so I know how hard it can be. He’s lucky to have you.
[/QUOTE

yes *noadded sugar,,,lol...I don't LOVE the beach it is one of the places I actually tolerate...BUT...the friend I went with loves the beach I love the friend...and he takes care of me and we leave when I am ready....

But any time away from being a carer I NEED....and pretty soon I know too it will be 24/7.

God bless you for doing that for your Gran...its so hard to watch that...and its so hard to sacrifice your life as well....Hugs.
Old 08-21-2019, 02:33 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Anna View Post
Missy, the beach is a 'go to' place for me, too. It's so important to listen to what you need and to act on it. I hope you continue to go to the beach often to find peace.
So much of my life has been making sure others are happy..and I still enjoy doing that....but I realize it is survival at this point for me to do some things that make me happy on a consistent basis..so I don't go into overload and then decide I should drink....
Old 08-21-2019, 02:34 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Fearlessat50 View Post
That is so wonderful to hear! I just got back from a beach vacation. The beach has always been a spiritual, peaceful, and relaxing place for me. A lot of the meditation music I listen to has ocean waves in the background
A beach vacation ...amazing...
I'm glad you enjoyed it....

We are saving for a vacation...it won't be at the beach...I want to go to Niagara Falls.
Old 08-21-2019, 02:40 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Hevyn View Post
Misssy - The beach never fails to improve my spirits & puts everything in perspective. I'm glad you had that lovely experience.
haha...the beach never fails to make me tired, hot and sandy...but the time with the person I went with gives me the same effect no matter where we are..."Improves my spirits and puts everything into prospective".

So I ended up happier than I have been in a long time.