Notices

Unexpected benefits

Old 08-18-2019, 12:59 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Unexpected benefits

When I quit drinking my aim was just that: to stop drinking. I did not consider any other aspects of my life or personality, I did not look at the bigger picture. Just not drinking was a daunting enough prospect which I was desperate to get right.

Now 5 months into sobriety and able to look around me a bit I am noticing different behavioral patterns in myself. Specifically in the last week three incidents happened where previously I would have lost my temper and retaliate immediately. I did not. Even more amazing, on two of those occasions I did not even feel the slightest bit angry or upset. I just shrugged off the incidents and moved on.

I am not sure if this is a permanent shift in my way of thinking and acting but I sure hope so. And for sure this control of emotions can only be the result of sobriety. Long may it continue and may I grow in this new way of life.
Old 08-18-2019, 01:17 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

The great thing is it keeps getting better! Sobriety is a beautiful gift whose fruits keep on giving 🙏
Old 08-18-2019, 01:51 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

There are a ridiculous number of unexpected benefits, I would like to share my favorite.

I was always an avid gym goer even while I was doing my daily drinking. It wasn't until only the very end of my drinking days that I had cut down on my regimen and eventually stopped going completely.

After detox I had lost all my muscle mass and was completely emaciated. As part of my recovery I joined a new gym and got back into my regimen. "Well I'm entering my 40s so I'm not going to be able to lift like I did when I was younger."

Do you have any idea how much more energy a person has when he's not in a perpetual hangover state? I was going through my sets like a man possessed. In the past I never cared about nutrition, I was content to eat garbage all the time. Now I started to eat balanced sensible meals and incorporate intermittent fasting into my routine.

I have abs at the age of 40. I was lifting weights in my 20s and I never had abs back then. The energy I have in the gym is ridiculous. Sometimes after an intense workout the testosterone will be in overdrive to the point where I want to get naked, run into the woods, and go kill a deer with my bare hands.

All I wanted in the beginning was to find something to occupy my time in sobriety and to prevent getting a dad bod (ugh). Now I'm in the absolute best shape of my life. All because of sobriety.
Old 08-18-2019, 01:56 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Callas - I know just what you mean. At the end of my drinking career I was on edge & confrontational. That's the opposite of the real me. It was such a relief to return to a calm & reasonable way of dealing with things. For me, it was a permanent change.

Congratulations on your 5 months.
Old 08-18-2019, 02:04 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

I like that my sober life is free of drama.
Old 08-18-2019, 02:55 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I think it would be unusual to not be happily surprised by a lot of things about sobriety.
Old 08-18-2019, 04:25 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Ditto to WeThinkNot’s gym success. Well done.

I’m pleasantly surprised that I can go to an event or restaurant with my wife and not be hugely disappointed if there’s no alcohol there. It makes for a much nicer time for everyone.

I’m also on holiday now in a country where alcohol is very expensive. That didn’t stop me drinking here before, though. Now I don’t seem to be spending any money! I can come here for longer next time 😀
Old 08-19-2019, 12:11 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Tons of benefits and physical changes are noticeable too in me. I have tons of energy to workout and feel stronger every day. Skin is glowing and no more bags!!!

Emotionally, I am feeling more things for sure, but feel mostly content, grateful and genuinely happy most of the day. The days are long, productive and good.
Old 08-19-2019, 06:52 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

There’s a lot more time😀