Notices

Naltrexone vs. Vivitrol?

Old 08-17-2019, 10:54 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Karate girl

Naltrexone vs. Vivitrol?

Talk to me about your experiences taking either Naltrexone and/or Vivitrol. I'm especially curious to hear from people who have taken both at one time or another. Did one work better for you? Side effects? I am currently taking 50mg of Naltrexone (I took the first pill last night) and I am definitely noticing that any and all cravings I still had for alcohol are completely gone. My doctor told me he wanted to start me with Naltrexone and if I liked it they could move me to the Vivitrol shot once a month. I am still in the Partial Hospitalization Program and I most likely will be for another 3 weeks. After that, I will be in the Intensive Outpatient Program for at least 6 weeks. I am learning so much! I'm going to talk to my doctor about this on Monday, but I'm just curious to hear what everyone's experiences have been. Today I am 15 days sober I have only made it this long one other time and that was a year and a half ago. My record is 2 months. I think first being inpatient and now the PHP have really made all of the difference for me!
Old 08-17-2019, 01:58 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Ive done both. The vivitrol shot was just a pain because it was expensive and insurance has to approve it so your doctor can get it in. I think it worked ok but I eventually relapsed a couple weeks after getting it. It's supposed to last a month. I am currently taking naltrexone and I think its helping as I am not having many cravings and am currently almost 9 months sober. Naltrexone is cheap too. I guess I would recommend the pills as opposed to the shot but either will help. Most what helped for me was inpatient treatment. It took 3 times but it has finally stuck and the desire to drink is becoming less every day.
Old 08-17-2019, 09:02 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Never done the Vivitrol but Naltrexone seems to be helping. Vivitrol is extremely expensive and I don’t feel like going to the doc every month so I’m sticking with Naltrexone. Internet research I did when making the same decision seemed to suggest Vivitrol works as good or better but who knows.
Old 08-18-2019, 02:59 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Life Goes On

I've done both and neither kept me from drinking. I think that's more down to me than it is to the medication. I didn't have "cravings," I just drank regardless. The shot did require prior authorization from my insurance company, but it was really not a big deal - the pharmacy handled it rather quickly.

A friend who was in IOP with me said the Vivitrol was way more effective for her than the naltrexone was. My internet research suggests this is because the medication is absorbed much more readily if given by injection.

Since you're going to be under direct medical supervision and fully accountable for not drinking, now might be the time to give it a shot (pun intended) and see how it works for you?

Congratulations on your 2 weeks+! You sound great.

O
Old 08-18-2019, 03:28 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I thought that they were the same med, but Vivitrol is the one month-lasting shot v a daily pill - ? Vivitrol was not covered by my insurance and the shot is very expensive (retail it would have been about $1000 for me).
https://search.*****.com/search?fr=m...one+v+vivitrol

I took a one month shot and then the pills- I kept drinking so I can't say that they helped.

Others around here have had different perspectives, perhaps. The only thing that "helped" me was Antabuse when I actually decided I was DONE drinking; it can be hard on the liver and my dr, like most, recommend it for a short time- I took it for 90 days. It was merely one tool and certainly not the primary one.