Notices

Liver damage

Old 08-16-2019, 03:13 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Liver damage

So when I had my bloods taken 2 years ago they showed I had the beginning of fatty liver.

They were repeated a year ago (when I was at my worst - drinking vodka around the clock) which showed I had further liver damage. The doctor wasn't specific but said that it wasn't yet acute and could definitely be reversed with abstinence. I continued to drink for a few months after that.

Now that I'm sober and in a really good place and a lot of health anxiety is creeping in. I've been feeling nauseous recently and all I can think is organ damage! I know I really need to go and get my bloods checked again to see if they have improved but I'm so terrified incase they haven't. Ignorance clearly isn't bliss because I can't shake this feeling of unease. Should I just bite the bullet and do it?

Does anyone have experience of being told they have liver damage and then things improving? Really scared!
Old 08-16-2019, 03:37 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

You can survive with a pretty screwed up liver more than likely you had fatty liver and reversed the damage. Anxiety can cause all these things. I would say almost 100 percent you are fine but always good to get your health checked periodically instead of waiting till something goes wrong.
Old 08-16-2019, 03:50 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
not a greeter

I was just diagnosed with fatty liver. Tuesday I had gone to the hospital with a virus and they ran bloodwork, cat scans & ultrasound. My liver enzymes were up but were thankfully back to near normal after a few days (just discharged today). The scans also found a cyst on my kidney. They also suspect a shingles outbreak about to happen ugh!

I don’t have anything definitive to tell you because I just found out I have it. My dr in the hosp said high cholesterol & obesity can also contribute to fatty liver. I’m not obese but I’m going to revamp my already healthy diet, and start walking the dogs to get more exercise even though we have a big fenced in yard. The biggest advice was don’t even entertain the thought of drinking (though he’s leaning towards it being my cholesterol). Get it rechecked in about 6 months and because of my kidney cyst, to see a urologist. I have an appt with my gp in a few weeks already scheduled.

My advice is go get checked out! If it weren’t for the virus I wouldn’t have a clue all that was going on.
Old 08-16-2019, 04:09 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Yes it can be reversed. The human body is very resilient and can heal itself quite well when you stop pouring poison into it. Also the best way to get rid of health anxiety is to go to the dr. I've been there and after going to the dr I felt much better. Even if you get bad news at least you know what path you can take to correct it. If you dont go you will just wonder and worry and likely not help yourself. Go to the dr and dont drink are your best options.
Old 08-16-2019, 04:13 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Yes, go get checked out. It is better to know your blood tests. I think going to the doctor is always scary when you know you are an alcoholic. But go get the blood tests, and see where you are. Your doctor will have a baseline and you can proceed from there. Best wishes on your recovery.
Old 08-16-2019, 05:33 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Wow this is so ironic and such an EPIC description of what alcohol does to our brains!

Because when I was drinking I never worried about my COPD, or spots on my lungs and liver...or fatty liver, or breast cancer....

As soon as I stopped floods of this stuff came flooding in....and this is another reason to STAY STOPPED for ME....because its stupid of me to think that pouring so much alcohol in my body on a daily basis wasn't hurting my health...Insane to not even think about it when I was drinking at all.

I believe your blood work will show significant improvement....I know when I quit 8 years ago (only have 53 days now) ...but I quit because I had so many bad test results and thought I was going to die....In a years time all my blood work was completely normal!

Alcohol reeks havoc on our bodies...Go for it...I think you will be pleseantly surprised but the danger in that IS....your alcoholic mind telling you (as mine has many times)….Your fine..it was all the alcohol...so drink...and then I would drink and the next visit...everything was bad.

I start feeling bad about a week after I start drinking....but rarely think about health as I'm doing it.
Old 08-16-2019, 06:03 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

the liver IS an amazing organ....it is our only organ than can regenerate cells and heal itself.

however.....you drive a car long enough without putting in oil, or doing any other common sense maintenance.........and it will crap out. and it will NOT be pretty. i watched my own mother die from liver disease and those are moments and memories i can never UNSEE. it was horribly excruciating - for everyone concerned. most certainly my mom, but she was in a drug induced coma by that time. her belly swelled up like she was 9 months pregnant, as the liver could no longer process that toxic waste. she turned an almost vivid yellow. as soon as the morphine wore off even a bit, she'd thrash and moan.

then her body started to feed on the toxic waste and the belly swell went down. then the rest of her body just stopped. one breathe in........never another breathe out. i was sitting there bedside holding her hand when she took her very last breathe on this earth.

don't BE that person! please? when they say "if you stop NOW you can survive" they ain't kidding. this may be your very last chance. and even if it is not, do you want to take that risk? do you want your loved ones to watch you die a slow and painful death?
Old 08-16-2019, 07:20 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Best to get it checked out. I’m currently in the process of getting my liver checked. Better to know what’s going on than to worry about the unknown.
Old 08-16-2019, 10:21 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

I’m surprised this topic isn’t discussed more here. No way to sugar coat this - liver disease is terrifying and shows no symptoms until it’s too late. I can’t think of a worse illness for a drinker or their family.

Liver disease was my number one reason for giving up drinking. An ultrasound found I had a mild fatty liver. Whilst a fatty liver has no symptoms, it’s the first step on to fibrosis and then cirrhosis, which isn’t reversible.

I still want a drink from time to time, but I’ve been given one hell of a second chance by finding out I had a fatty liver, which is totally reversible with abstinence.

My opinion is that counselling and meetings have their place. For me, though, the thought of a miserable death, and my wife having to nurse me through an illness of my own making was enough for me.

The fact I drank to excess knowing the risks and understanding liver disease still baffles me, the absolute height of selfishness.
Old 08-16-2019, 10:55 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

By the way, sorry to sound so gloomy on this topic. There is one plus point, already mentioned above, the liver can repair itself to a certain extent although the next stages after fatty liver, i.e. fibrosis and then cirrhosis, aren’t reversible.

And sorry one more less than positive point. I had a fatty liver diagnosed by ultrasound, but my liver function blood test results (ALT, AST and GGT) were perfect.

But to finish on a positive, any liver damage whether minor or severe will benefit from a reduction in or best abstinence from alcohol. It’s never too late to stop 😀
Old 08-17-2019, 12:02 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

I was diagnosed with fatty liver when I was drinking. I was advised to stop. I didn't stop. I was diagnosed as borderline for alcoholic hepatitis. I was told in no uncertain terms to stop. I didn't stop. I also didn't go back to the doctor for years because if there was still that question mark in my alcohol-soaked brain then I still had time for a few more drinks. Two years' worth of drinks.

Two years after quitting my liver was totally fine. No damage. Totally normal levels. This after years and years of abuse. I couldn't believe it. Literally. I requested a second round of testing to be sure.

So miracles can happen, and the liver just happens to be a miraculous organ. There's hope.
Old 08-17-2019, 12:10 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Oh wow that’s awful about your Mom Anvil. Sorry you had to witness that.

I know dying of liver disease is the most agonising death. I’ve read tons of stories and watched documentaries. My partner’s Dad was on the ‘liver ward’ due to complications recently and she said it was the most awful thing ever walking in and seeing everyone. My Mom’s friend who she actually met in rehab passed away from it. He was bright yellow at the time. No one apart from my mom went to his funeral. It was really sad..

I definitely know I need to go and get tested. I’m just trying to work up the courage to do it but it’s better knowing than not. I’m not going to drink again either way. I really believe I’m passed all of that now.

You’re right Missy when I was drinking I wasn’t bothered! It is like the alcohol just takes away the logic in your brain. I was terrified of a life without alcohol.. so much so I carried on drinking when I knew I was in trouble. Mind you when I was drinking I was depressed and didn’t see the point in living anyway. Now I love my life and actually want to have a future.

I’m only 29 and want to have a family at some point. Im really worried that putting my body through so much abuse will have affected my fertility. Also the anxiety of knowing that I had a problem with alcohol is all over my medical records. I know I needed help at that time but I really wish I could turn back the clock and change that. All I can do now is try and move on..
Old 08-17-2019, 12:12 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Anustart View Post
I was diagnosed with fatty liver when I was drinking. I was advised to stop. I didn't stop. I was diagnosed as borderline for alcoholic hepatitis. I was told in no uncertain terms to stop. I didn't stop. I also didn't go back to the doctor for years because if there was still that question mark in my alcohol-soaked brain then I still had time for a few more drinks. Two years' worth of drinks.

Two years after quitting my liver was totally fine. No damage. Totally normal levels. This after years and years of abuse. I couldn't believe it. Literally. I requested a second round of testing to be sure.

So miracles can happen, and the liver just happens to be a miraculous organ. There's hope.
Wow this gives me hope. Thankyou!
Old 08-17-2019, 12:24 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by noaddedsugar View Post
Also the anxiety of knowing that I had a problem with alcohol is all over my medical records. I know I needed help at that time but I really wish I could turn back the clock and change that. All I can do now is try and move on..
I wouldn’t worry in the slightest about your medical records. You’ve seen sense at 29, and that’s great. Go get tested to ease your worries. No point looking back. I saw sense much later (48). I spent about 15 years as this fat lazy drunk, but that’s in the past. Now I’m a sporty 50 year old with a future. Good luck to you 🙂
Old 08-17-2019, 12:59 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  
Sober since 10th April 2012

NAS go and have the tests.I think you'll get a very good surprise.

Arm yourself in advance for the tests coming back normal because your AV may pipe up and tell you its time to drink again.
Old 08-17-2019, 11:41 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Nausea can be due to many things. Please go and see your Dr and get your bloods done. The liver is an amazing organ, capable of repair. Your Dr can help you and advise what to do. Please go.
Old 08-18-2019, 03:37 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Yep- no one was suprised when my liver damage wasn't just fatty but incredibly close to cihrossis when I quit Feb 2016. We were all stunned and beyond grateful that about 90-100 days sober, it had completely normalized (all panel tests, as well as B12 etc).

Staying sober is the only way to keep them that way. Also being aware of even OTC meds that are harmful to the liver (like taking too much Tylenol).
Old 08-18-2019, 04:53 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  

I’m led to believe alcohol-related liver disease has these stages: fatty, fibrosis and then cirrhosis. The latter of these is when the liver is scarred. Are you sure you were near to cirrhosis?
Old 08-18-2019, 05:10 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Edited to add....

Not doubting, I’m just curious about your diagnosis