Notices

Help starting

Old 08-13-2019, 08:40 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Help starting

I’ve gotta quit. That first beer always tastes so good though. Next thing I know I’ve had 20. After a fun weekend with my wife and tons of beer. Three thirty packs I believe. I got up Monday and decided to start drinking at 7 AM. I think I had the nine beers we had left down by 11. Grabbed a twelve pack and drank while I got some work done. Had it gone by the time I got home at 4:30. Bought two more 12s to try and trick my wife as to how many I’d had. She could tell. This morning there was six left. My wife probably had six. That’s over 30 for me. I’ll stop for a few days now probably. But the cycle usually starts back up by Thursday. I’m just venting. I don’t know what to do.
Old 08-13-2019, 08:50 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Welcome!
My daily intake was 18 plus or minus so sim to yours. I started to walk in the mornings, eat and drink water. I didn't care how far or little I walked as long as I got out and walked. If I get the carving for a drink of beer, I grab a drink of water or I'll grab my got to snack, Oreo's with the water. I'll eat a whole roll of those if I need to so I don't drink. I'm still early in my quit at 40 days but life is so much better now without the drinking.
Old 08-13-2019, 09:04 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I am not one to tell you what to do. However you have to want to stop feel me. Just for today. Thats it. There are alot of factors that come into play when you do stop tho. One big thing is the withdrawal. From your post you seem to be xonsuminf alot of booze. That being said . You might want to see if you can check in somewhere to detox. Cause let me tell you it is gonna get worse before it gets better. I am not trying to scare you I am just keeping it real. But when you get thru with that. Come the work part. And the work is staying sober. I promise you this you will like the end result I am at 101 days right now. You wont want to let that go. Keep coming back
Old 08-13-2019, 09:14 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Step one....DECIDE (drink or not drink)
Old 08-13-2019, 09:27 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Thanks for the replies. I get it. I’ve “stopped” more times than I can count. Actually I’ve gone dry every January since 2007. Most years I make it to March 17th. Some years I don’t but always at least a month sober. When the drinking kicks back in however, it seems to get a little worse each year. The day drinking is new over the last few years.
Sometimes I feel like I need scare of some kind to wake me up. I know that’s a stupid thing to say but I always talk myself into drinking again. I’m going to try to make this day one. I’ll probably be on here a lot as I know this is gonna be tough. Thanks for any help or advice.
Old 08-13-2019, 09:47 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Sobriety is Traditional

Hi Harv!

I hope you don't wait for something bad to happen that "scares" you into quitting. A lot of no good can happen in the meantime, and there's a chance you or someone else could be hurt or killed.

Please do the right thing for you and your family!
Old 08-13-2019, 09:52 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Coldfusion View Post
Hi Harv!

I hope you don't wait for something bad to happen that "scares" you into quitting. A lot of no good can happen in the meantime, and there's a chance you or someone else could be hurt or killed.

Please do the right thing for you and your family!
Amen to that. Dumb thing to even say. Thanks for the call out.
Old 08-13-2019, 10:01 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by HarvW View Post
Thanks for the replies. I get it. I’ve “stopped” more times than I can count. Actually I’ve gone dry every January since 2007. Most years I make it to March 17th. Some years I don’t but always at least a month sober. When the drinking kicks back in however, it seems to get a little worse each year. The day drinking is new over the last few years.
Sometimes I feel like I need scare of some kind to wake me up. I know that’s a stupid thing to say but I always talk myself into drinking again. I’m going to try to make this day one. I’ll probably be on here a lot as I know this is gonna be tough. Thanks for any help or advice.
Happy to see you join SR, but sorry to hear what you are going through. Sounds like you've had some sober time, so you know things are much better when your sober. You must of had a plan to stay sober during those times, but need to add on to it. Staying with this site could be a big help, but you might want to try AA or other sites to add on to what you already do. Having a home base like AA meetings might help you get through those tough times. John
Old 08-13-2019, 10:05 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Hi Harv - It's so good to have you with us. You found an encouraging, non-judgmental place.

I was at the same stage as you when I found SR. I'd been drinking for many years & my consumption was terrifying. My tolerance incredible. I could walk & talk coherently after 30 beers. (I'm just a small woman). You say maybe a scare is needed to wake you up. That's what I needed - and I got it. 2 dui's and a ruined life - 'round the clock drinking in the end. If it was out of my system for even a couple hours I shook & got sick. It was a nightmare. I'm so thankful to be free of it. I'm glad you're taking a hard look at what it's doing to your life.
Old 08-13-2019, 10:29 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Administrator

Originally Posted by HarvW View Post
This is typical and it's called kindling. You can google it if you like.

My question to you would be what other changes have you made in your life besides stopping drinking? I had to make lifestyle changes to support my recovery and get rid of a few toxic people in my life.
Old 08-13-2019, 11:10 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Anna View Post
This is typical and it's called kindling. You can google it if you like.

My question to you would be what other changes have you made in your life besides stopping drinking? I had to make lifestyle changes to support my recovery and get rid of a few toxic people in my life.
That’s a tough one for me as my wife is my only real drinking buddy. We’ve been drinking together for 25 years. I think she drinks too much too but never the day binges I go on. And if I didn’t buy it every day she would be fine without.
I really have a great life. I have healthy, strong, smart, well adjusted kids. A gorgeous wife that’s my best friend. A successful business with great employees. Lots of stress that comes with having kids and employees so that’s always my fall back excuse. And it is just an excuse. Truth is I like being drunk. Unfortunately it is a lot of who I am. I just think I’m finally seeing it’s going to catch up to me and I need to get better.
Old 08-13-2019, 11:23 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Truth is I like being drunk.

Are you sure?

Trust me, I'm not trying to bust your balls but your attempting to hide how many beer you've had from your drinking buddy [Wife] and you did the right thing in my simple opinion and post here on SR about your drinking.

I loved being drunk until I didn't and then I/my AV would keep telling me I still loved it. This is just my case.

Life went on and I f*&^ a nice family and a number of relationships.
Old 08-13-2019, 11:33 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by C0ntr0ls View Post
Truth is I like being drunk.

Are you sure?

Trust me, I'm not trying to bust your balls but your attempting to hide how many beer you've had from your drinking buddy [Wife] and you did the right thing in my simple opinion and post here on SR about your drinking.

I loved being drunk until I didn't and then I/my AV would keep telling me I still loved it. This is just my case.

Life went on and I f*&^ a nice family and a number of relationships.
Good point. This was the second time in probably the last month I’ve lied to or withheld details from my wife. I came clean in both instances but felt like crap about it.

Old 08-13-2019, 11:36 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Don’t worry, if you continue to drink long enough you’ll get the scare you’re looking for. That is guaranteed.

Sadly, if you’re like me, it will take just that. Some kind of tragedy. We are a hard headed bunch. I envy those who wisen up before the trouble starts. Will you be one of those people?
Old 08-13-2019, 12:12 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Grab a whole bunch of folks living a life in
recovery with sobriety under their belts and
let them carry you, teach about alcoholism
and a program of recovery guiding you each
step of the way until you are able to take the
reigns and carry on yourself building a strong
solid recovery foundation to live upon for yrs
to come.

All of us have started with the first day removing
alcohol from our lives. From there we become willing,
and teachable to learn how to live each day moving
forward without adding poison to it and killing ourselves
slowly but surely.

Sending much support, care and understanding
your way.
Old 08-13-2019, 12:14 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

I also liked being drunk. Unfortunately the price I had to pay for that bit of fun became too high. Your life is fairly good now and you have support. My advice is bail out, it is going to get nasty.
Old 08-13-2019, 01:17 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Little by little, alcohol took more and more than it gave. It still gave some even at the end, and I think it is ok to acknowledge that, but it took so much more. I let it progress along that continuum longer than I should have, though shorter than some, but when it finally tipped the scales too much - I was out. Everyone has a different threshold...good luck to you, whatever you decide.
Old 08-13-2019, 03:07 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  
Left coast USA

Some one once said to me "an alcoholic isn't necessarily someone who drinks too much, it is someone who can't drink enough"

20 to 30 beers a day? Yep, that was me before I quit.... and I hate beer, but my stomach couldn't tolerate any thing heavier.

There were days I would lost count of how many cases I would buy, hide and throw away empty the next day. It became a tremendous amount of work to keep it up.

I too have a great wife, wonderful kids (they are out of he house now) and a prosperous business and investments so I am all set, you would think, yet that daily task of having to always have a supply, coming and going, just beat me up.

Life is so much better without it.
Old 08-14-2019, 04:13 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Thanks everyone. Means a lot to hear from others that get it. One day in. Probably one of only a few 24 hour stretches without a drink in months. This weekend will be my big test. Friday to the liquor store after work is like I’m on autopilot. I’ve gotta break the cycle there.
Old 08-14-2019, 04:25 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  

I wouldn't think about Friday until Friday. Getting through today is what matters me. Just how my lil brain works.

Good Luck.