Notices

Monster under the bed

Old 08-13-2019, 05:04 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Monster under the bed

I have spent the morning reading posts on SR and it made me think about how addiction is the monster under the bed. It will get you if even one toe goes over the edge of the mattress.
I started drinking to have fun and be social. I continued to drink because it numbed. I ramped it up because it helped me avoid the mess I was making of my life. It doesn't make the pain go away, it just wraps it up and saves it for later. You have two choices, ultimately. You can stop the cycle, turn on the light and deal or never turn on the light, get worse and worse, snowballing out of control to an untimely and unavoidable death.
Now I have the light on and I am no longer afraid of hanging my feet out from under the covers. I am cautious, but not because of the monster, but because of the real life things I might step on. Just my thoughts for this day.
Old 08-13-2019, 07:36 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Giving up is NOT an option.

It doesn't make the pain go away, it just wraps it up and saves it for later.

^^^ This.
Old 08-13-2019, 07:40 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Giving up is NOT an option.

And the only way to deal with the pain is just that: Deal with it. Drinking it away does not work. It has to be faced. It's scary. It's hard. But once you face the pain and fear, it doesn't have power over you anymore.
Old 08-13-2019, 08:06 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Administrator

Yes definitely. You must look at the darkness before you can move into the light. This was mind-altering for me.

Debbie Ford says, "You must go into the dark in order to bring forth your light. ... full magnitude is more than most of us can ever imagine,"

And, as my signature and Marianne Williamson says "Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure. It is our light, not our darkness that most frightens us."
Old 08-13-2019, 10:11 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Administrator

Great post Daisy- thank you

D