Notices

Oh, the mood swings!

Old 08-12-2019, 05:38 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Oh, the mood swings!

Hi gang...I’m on day 42 and the past few days, my mood is shot. I’m irritable with/about people (and my (likely mis-)perceptions of people), one second I want to scream and cry, the next I’m calm and holding it all together. I don’t think I’ve been riding the “pink cloud” (but hey, what do I know?!), and I keep reviewing HALT (I’m very angry/anxious from having a screaming fournager underfoot, inlaws coming to stay this weekend, and a bunch of other stuff currently on the go...and so a bit tired overall these days). I’ve been doing meetings, working on getting a sponsor and going to book studies. Reading literature, podcasts & exercise...right now I’m just so restless and irritable and needed to get this out. I have no desire to drink, but I don’t want to let the av slip in either, so I’m posting here.
Some words of encouragement? My emotions are all over this morning. Thank you
Old 08-12-2019, 05:53 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Congrats on the 42. Hey all what your going thru is just part of the process. Your mind is reprogramming itself . I'm sure most of the things irritated before . it just you used booze to put a band aid on it. Now you are having to deal with it. Clear headed. And thats ok you can do it. And be proud you put the fire out sober feel me. I'm on day 100. And is there problems of coarse thats called life. No worries as long as you arw sober you will be find. Keep coming back
Old 08-12-2019, 06:23 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I'm on day 39 and have been grumpy and short with temper/thoughts the last couple days.
I need to work on why I let the **** bother me when I have no control over it.
It's the same stuff that would **** me off when drinking so it's nothing new except I'm sober going through it.
Old 08-12-2019, 06:46 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Totally get it!! Great job on 42 days. I'd suggest a few things- one, actually get a sponsor; I did wait longer than you as I was looking for someone who regularly "had what I wanted" as I had been advised. Given the mood swings, etc, which are so normal as we start to heal - maybe sooner rather than later is a good idea.

Actively working a program as well as learning to be kind w ourselves in these early days are both so important.

One thing I had to learn early on (and def still have to use!) is to "practice the pause" - you mentioned mis-perceptions of people's words, actions....I found that to be true as I realized that what everyone else was doing or saying just wasn't about me 99% of the time!

Glad you are here - keep going.