hi

Old 08-11-2019, 08:18 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

hi

Hi everyone

just joined and want to say hi

very new in recovery, also not sure if I want to be sober forever

but I know I want to be sober for a good while and see how it feels
And also to see if I could go back to having a 'healthy ' relationship with alcohol or if it would be best not to.

But from what I have read so far the best way is to think in small chunks so I will be taking each day at a time, and if I have alcohol not to be too hard on myself and just say tomorrow is a new day.

I have other mental health issues that I deal with and it can all get overwhelming but in my treatment for bpd sobriety is recommended so hopefully treating my addiction will also help my ability to treat my bpd.

I live with my boyfriend and our cat in the Yorkshire countryside and I have a lot of wonderful aspects to my life I want to care for.

Look forward to staying sober and hopefully being an active site member
Old 08-11-2019, 08:24 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Welcome,

I think you will find that life is a lot easier without booze! I hope you get the support you're looking for, there are many here that have been through the ringer because of alcohol abuse. Take the advice you were given, kick that drink to the curb

Have a peaceful evening.
Old 08-11-2019, 08:28 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Reality...what a concept!

Welcome toffeemeg! You will surely find a lot of info here. I also could not wrap my head around never ever drinking again and took each 24 hours at a time. I did however learn the hard way that being sober was the only way to go for me. It’s great that you are looking out for your health first and being sober is an excellent way to wholistic recovery.
Old 08-11-2019, 08:30 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Welcome to the family. I also wondered if I could ever go back to drinking 'normally'. but after being sober for a while, I found I didn't want to drink again. I like my life so much better sober.
Old 08-11-2019, 08:55 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Good evening and welcome as far as the thinking of never drinking again. Well first lets cross that bridge when you get to it. Why? Well first lets try not drinking for a day. Thats it. Then another day. Before you know it you be like me and be at 99 days. I promise you once you get to where I am at. Those thoughts will be non existent. Feel me. Like me I have no desire to booze. And guess what life is good. Booze free. Keep coming back
Old 08-12-2019, 12:32 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Ocean Lover!

Welcome toffeemegg, nice to have another northern lass from the countryside on the boards

As you’ve already worked out best to start at one day at a time and don’t worry about the bigger picture just yet. Thinking forever can be so overwhelming and I know for me living in the present rather than the past or future has really helped keep me focused. I started off wanting to abstain for a while and kind of reset the clock so I could return to a healthy relationship with alcohol. What I found was every time I drank again and clicked the stopwatch timer it never returned to 0.00, it just started from where ever it had left off last time.

Looking forward to reading more of your posts and stick around, lots of very wise heads on this forum and great advice, tips and support too xx
Old 08-12-2019, 02:22 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Thanks for posting. The one day at a time is a good way to think. I also have bpd along with long time alcohol abuse & have found it much easier to manage without alcohol in the mix. This site was crucial for me & am now in my second year of sobriety.
Old 08-12-2019, 12:55 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Welcome. You don't have to worry about never drinking again, just try not to today. I spent so much time worrying about the future or feeling guilt/shame about the past, that I never just sat in the present and did the next right action. It all felt too overwhelming to me. But with the help of these forums, the chat, AA and fellowship, I realized all I have is today. All I can do is make the best decisions I can today. I make a bad decision? That's ok. Just dust myself off and try again. Your life is precious and there are so many people who will love you. Give yourself this opportunity. Thank you for your brave post. Keep posting!
Old 08-12-2019, 02:15 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Very good to give life without alcohol a chance even if you don’t now know if it will be forever. At least you will feel and see the difference and then make an informed descision.
Old 08-12-2019, 07:54 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome to SR megg

D