Notices

is it dangerous suddenly stopping?

Old 08-11-2019, 04:45 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

is it dangerous suddenly stopping?

if you saw my other post its my first day clean. Still very sick. i havnt made it past 2/3 days without using in the last 5/6 months and when I did make it 2 days it was like my body was shutting down on me,extreeeme fatigue and I was so angry and agressive i was trying to fight strangers on the street...i also have a very bad drug problem. i usually drink a liter a day,more if i go out or sometimes less If im at home? Is it dangerous to suddenly stop after using that amount or no?afraid of what to expect...how long does the worst last?
Old 08-11-2019, 05:14 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Yes it is dangerous to suddenly stop drinking.
Old 08-11-2019, 05:17 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Sober Alcoholic

Alcohol withdrawal has the potential to be lethal Rsanchez920. Best to consult a physician and be safe. Go to the emergency room if necessary, be safe.
Old 08-11-2019, 05:24 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

For those that have stopped were you in a program?

Originally Posted by awuh1 View Post
Alcohol withdrawal has the potential to be lethal Rsanchez920. Best to consult a physician and be safe. Go to the emergency room if necessary, be safe.
Im a single mom so i cant just go to impatient but im kind of nervous
Old 08-11-2019, 06:05 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Do you know any adults who could stay with you for a few days while you're detoxing? If you see your doctor, s/he might be able to give you short term meds to help the withdrawal be less severe.
Old 08-11-2019, 06:23 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Administrator

Withdrawal from alcohol can be unpredictable and dangerous. If you're concerned, be prepared to go to an ER or to your dr.

I think there are many paths to stopping drinking. I made use of some good books and then I found SR which has been my lifeline. I believe that your motivation is the main thing.
Old 08-11-2019, 06:24 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I tapered because I didn't want to go to the hospital I couldn't afford it....I'm not suggesting you taper and not everyone CAN taper...most times in the past that I tried to taper it didn't work I just kept drinking.

But this time I was so desperate to stop....I didn't go to the store for alcohol until I almost blacked out..and then I went and just bought a very small quantity and slept that day...The next day my withdrawals were less severe and I pushed thru them...but it took a good week to be able to eat food...and everyones body is different...but it took me two weeks to feel even human...

Its rough..If you can go to the Dr and get meds..you should....or to the hospital.
Old 08-11-2019, 09:01 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
dcg
D♭7♭9♯9♯11♭13

Originally Posted by Misssy2 View Post
I tapered because I didn't want to go to the hospital I couldn't afford it....I'm not suggesting you taper and not everyone CAN taper...most times in the past that I tried to taper it didn't work I just kept drinking.

But this time I was so desperate to stop....I didn't go to the store for alcohol until I almost blacked out..and then I went and just bought a very small quantity and slept that day...The next day my withdrawals were less severe and I pushed thru them...but it took a good week to be able to eat food...and everyones body is different...but it took me two weeks to feel even human...

Its rough..If you can go to the Dr and get meds..you should....or to the hospital.
That's not a taper, which is why you still suffered bad withdrawals.

OP, go to a doctor and they'll give you meds to help you.
Old 08-11-2019, 09:29 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Is it dangerous? Yes, very! And at your levels of use, stopping suddenly can be fatal. My recommendation is always the same, go to the emergency room and ask for help. They will get you into a detox and the detox will help you find treatment, it doesn’t have to be inpatient.

Truth is, if you try it on your own you’ll probably end up in the ER anyway, so....make the call. A liter a day is suicide. Trust me, been there, done that. And I’ve detoxed several times, both on my own and at a facility. I highly recommend a facility. There were many times I felt my life was slipping away when I did it solo. A couple times I ended up at the ER.

No matter what you choose, we are all here for you. Alcoholism is a frightening and lonely disease, however you are not alone. But please, get some help.
Old 08-11-2019, 10:04 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

As a single mom I think you owe it to your children to safely withdraw. At least have another responsible adult with you. I think you need to be honest with your doctor about how to safely withdraw. Alcohol withdrawal is no joke and extremely dangerous.
Old 08-11-2019, 10:11 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Hi R,

I’m glad you found this forum. How are you doing tonight? Going to the ER is definitely your safest bet for detoxing. Is there someone your kids can stay with for a few days while you get yourself clean?

Check in and let us know how you’re doing.
Old 08-12-2019, 06:06 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Hello and welcome. And thank you for wanting to throw the towel in . you asked it its dangerous? Heck yeah it is. In my case I went colld turkey. But I told people to keep an eye on me. The Withdrawal I endured sucked butt big time. Thru the grace of my higher power he got me thru it. Thats all I can say. And in doing so I cherish every sober day. Being at day 100 is more than a God send. Let me tell you. . I will put you on my prayer list as well. Sit back and watch the miracle happen to you. Keep coming back
Old 08-12-2019, 07:32 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Today....

Originally Posted by Delilah1 View Post
Hi R,

I’m glad you found this forum. How are you doing tonight? Going to the ER is definitely your safest bet for detoxing. Is there someone your kids can stay with for a few days while you get yourself clean?

Check in and let us know how you’re doing.

Im over the first 2 days after my bender so the nausea, dizziness, etc of the hangover stage has went for the most part... Reading these responses i kind of scared. I know my son needs a sober mom but i dont have any real friends or family here in a foreign country and dont know how the system works forhealthcare. lthough i do have a good dr that does house calls. Ive never admitted to her my problem

In the past 6 months i think the longest ive gone is 3 days about 2 months ago and i was so agressive i was trying to fight strangers... In front of my son at that i felt out of control. That could also be from the drugs i dont know.

Is having that doc on speed dial enough? I plan on cjecking in here daily. First in person meeting tomorrow maybe someome from there would be good since they are local.

​​​
Old 08-12-2019, 07:33 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Thank you for responding

Originally Posted by SoberRican View Post
Hello and welcome. And thank you for wanting to throw the towel in . you asked it its dangerous? Heck yeah it is. In my case I went colld turkey. But I told people to keep an eye on me. The Withdrawal I endured sucked butt big time. Thru the grace of my higher power he got me thru it. Thats all I can say. And in doing so I cherish every sober day. Being at day 100 is more than a God send. Let me tell you. . I will put you on my prayer list as well. Sit back and watch the miracle happen to you. Keep coming back
Sounds like it is worth it i just want to feel better. How long did you have to withdrawl?
Old 08-12-2019, 11:59 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

For me it was like hard core for like 4 days. Shaking A lot. Not just my hands my body.but I just layed down a lot drank water didnt eat much. Then started with like soup and stuff. I know its scares the crap out of ya believe me. Thats why I play that tape.when ever I get to thinking crazy feel me. I dont to go thru that again. I wouldnt wish that on my worst enemy. But man let me tell you the payoff is off the charts . you will and are going to love your sober life. You a gambler? Then go all on sobriety. Keep coming back