Notices

Observations

Old 08-11-2019, 12:41 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Observations

I watched “The Prize Winner of Defiance Ohio” tonight. Woody Harrelson’s character is a loving father and devoted husband...when he is sober. When he is drunk...well, we know the story.

This made me contemplate whether most of alcoholism stems from deep-seated resentment, anger and self-esteem issues. Also, this implies that true recovery can only take place if one believes in oneself, deal with resentments and find some form of serenity.

It is difficult. We are human and fallible. Still, I do believe those are the goals one should work towards. Even if sobriety remains a work in progress every small victory over our negative emotions counts for a lot.

I am beginning to understand now 5 months sober that stopping drinking is just the starting point. I feel that I am now ready to really forge the building blocks of a life of sobriety.
Old 08-11-2019, 06:06 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Sounds interesting, where could I find this movie?
Old 08-11-2019, 06:27 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Hi Callas I agree with you so much....stopping drinking is just the starting point....your 5 months in and ready to do some work.

Everyone is different..that is why when I see people give advice to go to AA when people are like 3 days sober....I cringe..because for me that wasn't the time to go to AA...it was the time to focus on healing my body.....I have nothing against AA...I actually go there...

However, your post made me think of that....So, getting 5 months is huge and your brain is much clearer...Congratulations on that 5 months!
Old 08-11-2019, 06:34 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Thanks, Callas - I just put it at the top of my Netflix queue. Can't believe I never heard of it - it's from 2005 & I love Julianne Moore.
Old 08-11-2019, 09:58 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Well done on your journey. I'm a little behind ya. At 99 days . Keep coming back