Notices

Closed meeting?

Old 08-09-2019, 05:24 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Closed meeting?

What is a closed AA meeting? I’m gearing up for my first one...
Old 08-09-2019, 05:27 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

A closed AA meeting is for members (aka alcoholics) only - no visitors, family, friends, etc.

good for you!
Old 08-09-2019, 05:29 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Closed just means it’s exclusive to alcoholics or people who want to stop drinking.

Other meeting that are “open” include addicts, friends or family of alkies/addicts or people who are med students, etc.

you should be fine to go to an open or closed meeting, but for your first I would recommend a beginners discussion, just because that focuses on the first three steps and people in early sobriety. However!! Please go to whichever is available to you! If you want to stop drinking you will be welcome at all meetings.
Old 08-09-2019, 05:31 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

It's nice walking into a room where everyone understands your problem and has a solution that could save your life.

Let us know how it goes.
Old 08-09-2019, 07:17 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Thank you. I’m just trying hard to get to my first meeting and want a friend along.

Originally Posted by dpac414;7244327Closed just means it’s exclusive to alcoholics or people who want to stop drinking.[left
Other meeting that are “open” include addicts, friends or family of alkies/addicts or people who are med students, etc.

you should be fine to go to an open or closed meeting, but for your first I would recommend a beginners discussion, just because that focuses on the first three steps and people in early sobriety. However!! Please go to whichever is available to you! If you want to stop drinking you will be welcome at all meetings.
[/left]
Old 08-09-2019, 07:40 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I went to my first few meetings with someone that was in recovery. Do you have anyone like that to go with you?
Old 08-09-2019, 07:41 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Can you find some open meetings near you? If you want a friend to go with you, an open meeting would be right for you. I hope you find a meeting to attend.
Old 08-09-2019, 07:47 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
MrBrad

Closed meetings are for those that have a desire to stop drinking. It is not strictly for those that identify as alcoholics.
Old 08-10-2019, 12:39 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Great news, I’m so glad you’re going!

I wouldn’t be worried about it being an open or closed meeting, you’ll be welcome at any meeting and you’ll be the most important person attending the meeting.

I copied this off my AA groups website.. see below ..

Closed Meeting: Attendance at closed meetings is limited to persons
who have a desire to stop drinking. If you think you have a problem with
alcohol, you are welcome to attend this meeting.

Open Meetings: Open meetings are available to anyone interested in
the Alcoholics Anonymous program of recovery from alcoholism.
Non-alcoholics may attend open meetings.

A good example would be say a college student doing research for a psychology class maybe. They would prob attend an open meeting.

You’ll be welcome with unconditional love. They’ll ask if anyone is here tonight for their first AA meeting you can raise your hand and introduce yourself if you wish. They might ask you if you’d like to have desire / 24 hour chip to try our way of living for the next 24 hours.. these always come with a huge!

During the meeting they might ask if you’d like to share, if you feel like sharing, share. If not say thanks I’m just listening tonight,,

I’m excited for you! Please update us afterwards!!
Old 08-10-2019, 01:31 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

So excited you are going to your first meeting! I was really nervous, but right away everyone was so welcoming and full of support. You can be as open as you want to be, give it a few tries, no one meeting is ever the same and the insight and things you can relate to or find meaning in is INVALUABLE.

Good luck and get ready to make a ton of new friends!!
Old 08-10-2019, 06:50 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Let us know how it goes. Any meeting is better than no meeting, and we can find ones the fit our needs as we get started, and go along. You also don't have to announce what "category" you fall into , or even speak - so the imperfect system, so to speak, works in your favor!

Glad you are here.
Old 08-10-2019, 07:39 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

I LOVE meetings.

Just so you know, most meetings say the serenity prayer to begin the meeting and the Lord’s Prayer to close the meeting. You might want to bring a dollar bill to put in the basket when they pass it around for donations. This is not required but I feel awkward when I don’t have money to put in.

You don’t have to share and you don’t have to identify as an alcoholic if you don’t want to.

They might ask if there is anyone that has less than 30 days of sobriety or if it is their first time to that meeting and if you would like to introduce yourself. This is not a requirement but it is an opportunity to say your name so the group can get to know you. I recommend doing it, but again, you don’t have to.

Good luck and congratulations, you’re making a great decision.
Old 08-10-2019, 07:59 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

I was scared/embarrassed about meetings and then got court ordered to attend. After my first one I kinda laughed at myself for waiting so long. AA really got my head on straight and focused on what's important in my life.
Old 08-10-2019, 11:04 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

I did it!

Well I made it to my first meeting! Slept through my alarm this morning (excuse #1) so when I woke up late I figured I’d just stay home and start reading the Big Book instead. My friend called and said she was picking me up in 20 mins so I hustled to get ready. I don’t usually go out of the house without a full face of makeup and hair done but figured the purpose was more important than my appearance today! We got to where the meeting was and there was massive construction blocking the street and a big music festival next door so (excuse # 2) I suggested we just go for coffee instead. My friend literally stopped in the middle of traffic, turned on her hazard lights and ordered me out of the car. She wouldn’t come in with me which threw me into a bit of a panic but she promised to come back and pick me up. I was the only newcomer and felt a little on the spot, but people were so lovely and welcoming I couldn’t stop crying and still am! Everyone who shared spoke directly to me and shared their own first meeting experiences. They helped me through the logistics like reading the steps out loud, the collection and the ending prayer. The woman who sat next to me would not let me leave until I gave her my cell number lol. She’s already texted me and offered to be there whenever I need someone. I feel like I took a HUGE step today. I might go to another meeting tomorrow. Thanks for all of the support from this group too.
PS - my name isn’t Jeane. It’s an acronym for just eating an elephant- one bite at a time.

Last edited by Jeane; 08-10-2019 at 11:06 AM. Reason: Spelling
Old 08-10-2019, 11:08 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Glad the meeting went well. A lot of people cry at their first meeting. Might be the relief we feel at finding others who understand.
Old 08-10-2019, 11:14 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

That is awesome! You made my day. I'm so happy you attended the meeting.
I hope you do utilize the phone number and go to another meeting.
Best to you, and good job!
Old 08-10-2019, 11:53 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Great going!!
Old 08-10-2019, 12:16 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Glad it went well! Also sounds like you have a good friend on your side too. My life is soooooo much more manageable without my drinking in it,on all fronts.
Old 08-10-2019, 09:14 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

So awesome. Your post brought me a ton of joy and I got a little teary eyed. Hate to sound cliche or corny but I believe that you were meant to make that meeting and what a great friend you have. But now you know you don’t need a friend along, you have all the support you need in those rooms. As they say, “Keep coming back!”
Old 08-11-2019, 05:47 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Great first meeting. I was going to reassure you that going by yourself was going to be fine. I was delighted that your friend kicked you out of the car to make sure you went to the meeting. We could all use friends like that at times.