Notices

Strange Cravings

Old 08-05-2019, 10:44 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Strange Cravings

Anyone ever NOT want to be drunk, but crave drinking/"letting loose"?

I know for a fact I do not want to be intoxicated, but I'll get primal cravings to do "let loose" which in my mind is associated with drinking.

Curious other people's experience with this...

I had 10 months until I went back to the sauce for ~1.5-2 months, now I'm just over a week.
Old 08-05-2019, 10:58 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Absolutely - for most of us, alcohol was our "escape" at some point in our drinking career - but of course it turned into it's own prison eventually.

And it's one of the primary reasons people suggest having a "plan". What a plan is varies widely, but it's a proactive way to not only help you stop drinking - but to deal with all of the underlying issues most all of us deal with. Your post is a prime example - how might one find ways other than drinking to "let loose'? There are many. So your plan might include a formal recovery method/meetings/working steps. Most recovery programs deal much more with you as a person than the actual drinking of alcohol. Some people incorporate therapy into their plan. Others do a lot of self help, Exercise, diet managment, meditation/mindfulness, all can be part of your plan. But bottom line if you just "dont drink" and continue doing everything else the same way you always have, it's not usually going to end well.
Old 08-05-2019, 11:04 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Canine Welfare Advocate

When I found myself doing that, I came to the conclusion that it was just another way to romanticize drinking. Just another way for your addiction to get you to crack the door open. You're one week sober. You are going to be bombarded.
Old 08-05-2019, 11:05 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I'm not totally sure if it's what you mean, but yeah - I definitely just want to feel free to act the fool and just let go of the rigidity of life. Escape! Like Scott just said.

I've thought a lot about what sober life would look like for me, especially since I've relied on alcohol to be my multi-tasking mistress for so long. Stressful day and just need to float in space for a bit? Alcohol. Social to-dos filled with people I both love and dislike? Drinking will make that more manageable. Just want to be silly and dance around barefoot? Booze writes those kinds of permission slips. She's done a lot for me in my life. Obviously not all good or I wouldn't be here.

So yeah, not sure if that's what you mean but it's what I relate to. Some areas are easier for me in terms of my recovery planning than others. By not drinking, I'm being forced to confront my inner panic and anxiety. And learn how to cope and move through it. And I'm making myself just be silly anyway sometimes because that's my right as a human being on this planet, to have a little fun (*not drinking) non conventionally at times.

Congrats on your week plus. Hope you find your way.
Old 08-06-2019, 12:20 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

To be frank, I don’t believe ex-drinkers who say they never get the urge to drink. What does happen, at least in my case (7 months), is the urges are much weaker and less often. However, even I admit to craving a glass of red wine at the weekend. My wife (lifelong teetotal) even said recently I should have a glass. But it’s an absolute no no and would bring back those old urges without a doubt.

So for anyone in their first few days or weeks of sobriety, yes it is very unpleasant. It gets way easier, though 😀👍

I’m curious why the opening poster relapsed. I’m not judging, far from it. You’re brave to write about it when you’re probably a bit down. You shouldn’t be disappointed with yourself. Ten months is great as is one week.
Old 08-06-2019, 04:36 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Administrator

yeah I found it was a bait and switch - I had no control over whether I drank like a gentleman or I got lost for a week.

if I could have moderated my drinking, I wouldn't need to moderate my drinking.

I still have a great time sober - you can still be as fun filled mad and crazy as you like

D
Old 08-06-2019, 04:57 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by GreatInquiry7 View Post
Anyone ever NOT want to be drunk, but crave drinking/"letting loose"?

I know for a fact I do not want to be intoxicated, but I'll get primal cravings to do "let loose" which in my mind is associated with drinking.

Curious other people's experience with this...

I had 10 months until I went back to the sauce for ~1.5-2 months, now I'm just over a week.
For me this is a craving...to feel like letting loose....I have to drink...they go hand and hand for me .

I'm glad you have a week..its tough after you drink after long time sobriety...its tough to stop again.
Old 08-06-2019, 05:04 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

I needed to reframe this type of thinking and figure out how to relax without alcohol. As it's been said earlier, our addictive thinking tries to trick us into drinking again. I can relax without alcohol. I can be fun without alcohol.
Old 08-06-2019, 09:18 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Not really. But we all have different triggers. I just play the tape forward when it gets real bad. Or come here.

Much love.
Old 08-07-2019, 12:25 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

I absolutely can relate. Despite alcohol causing a TON of problems, it certainly made me feel "free" (for like, a second) and breathe a sigh of relief. It can be really hard to find something that can give you that same feeling. I think it'll take us doing some exploration and saying YES to trying new things.
Old 08-07-2019, 12:34 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Adventurer

I used to tell myself I would just have a few drinks just to relax. Then my wife would come home and find me passed out with empty bottles all over the counter.

Once the first sip went down, I didn't know how to stop.