Notices

Feeling very raw

Old 08-03-2019, 03:29 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Feeling very raw

Checking in for accountability. A lot of emotion has happened in the past month - my dog passed on which sucked. And I got married a week ago - which is wonderful. My emotions have been super low and super high. I've just returned home from a week of lots of celebration - and planning - and now I'm back home to normalcy. It has been a very bumpy re-entry. I'm feeling really raw. I want to cry all the time. Or eat. I can't sleep. I know I need to get back to the basics of self-care as well as focus on H. A. L. T - Hungry, Angry, Lonely, Tired. I know this will pass. I just don't like it right now. I've been sober and will stay sober. Feelings are just hard sometimes.
Old 08-03-2019, 03:35 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

I'm sorry for your loss but congrats on your wedding soberclover.

I found life a little hard to negotiate during the early days but I got better and better at it the more I faced my problems.

I hope it will be the same for you too

D
Old 08-03-2019, 03:37 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Congrats on getting married! Sorry to hear about your dog as when I lost my cat it was like losing one of my closest friends. As you stated while you don't like the emotions you are feeling right now you know they will pass in time. When I am having a rough day I personally like to meditate, take a hot shower or listen to some calming music that I enjoy or other activities that relax me. Emotions can be real hard to deal with sometimes and glad we are here dealing with them in more healthy ways than drinking.
Old 08-03-2019, 03:56 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Congratulations on your new life as a married person!

Sorry to hear about your dog. Losing our furry friends can be just as tough as losing our human loved ones sometimes. After you're done grieving, just know that there are plenty of puppies and kittens out there that could use a home.

Imagine what an emotional mess you'd be now if you were drinking. Well done staying sober.
Old 08-03-2019, 04:11 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Congrats on your wedding! And I’m very sorry about your dog passing away. I read a long time ago that change, good or bad, is stressful. It can wear you out. I hope you get to feeling better soon.
Old 08-03-2019, 04:12 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

I'm sorry for the loss of your dog. Feelings are sometimes uncomfortable but it is possible to feel them and not numb them away.
Old 08-03-2019, 06:40 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Administrator

I'm so sorry for the loss of your beloved dog. And, congratulations on your marriage. That's a lot to deal with in a short time, so do your best to hang in and stay in the moment. You can get through this.
Old 08-03-2019, 07:05 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Growing pains I say!

Imagine you got thru the death of a pet...AND a wedding....you can get thru anything.

I often wonder why I didn't think I could get thru these types of things before without drinking...because I handle them all so much better NOT DRINKING.

I have been to weddings sober (not my own)...but you must have had a wonderful day that day....so much better than getting wasted and not really being "present"....

Feeling Feelings is hard...but you grow each and every time.

You are no longer STUCK...congratulations and yes your going to feel "off" sometimes..but you are FULL ON...and your life will be so much better.
Old 08-03-2019, 08:34 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

SoberClover, coming on SR and posting like this really is an inspiration to lots of us. You set the example and show us that we are going to have down moments even in the happiest of times and that seeking support during those moments is one way to stay on the good road. I for one really appreciate it. I'm so sorry about your furry friend. That sucks and is heart breaking. Again, thanks for showing the rest of us how it is done when sorrow and pain show their faces.
Old 08-04-2019, 12:38 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Soberclover,

I am so so sorry about your loss, but always remember that your pup lived his best life because of your love!

Congrats on your wedding and I am so glad you can remain this self-aware about your commitment to sobriety while navigating tough life moments.
Old 08-04-2019, 03:02 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

I am so sorry for your loss. Congrats on being newly married! ! These are two huge life events. I always find after a long period of planning and waiting for a big event, once it’s over it can feel like coming down off a Coke high. Such an intense down feeling. I can totally understand why you are feeling raw. It is good you are recognizing HALT. I was applying that just last week over some stuff that was very minor. I can relate to the feeling of being susceptible to triggers with life highs and lows. Glad we can stay sober through these times. It can only make us stronger! Yes, this too shall pass. Hope you stay close to SR for support.