Notices

What Happens

Old 08-03-2019, 03:04 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

What Happens

... if I seriously cannot stay stopped drinking on my own because of physical symptoms when I do stop and because of mental health concerns like depression and severe anxiety?

Got any solutions? I don't have any money or insurance.
Old 08-03-2019, 03:06 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I'll save you the trouble - going to AA doesn't prevent seizures.
Doctors cost money and the health care system in the US does not care about anyone - it's about making money.

There's a solution in Canada, Norway, Sweden, Australia, UK, the rest of developed Europe - everywhere but the US.
Old 08-03-2019, 03:21 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

If your concerned about having a seizure, you need to get to an ER now. As far as not having insurance the Salvation Army will take you in at no charge. John
Old 08-03-2019, 03:30 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Administrator

This site has been useful to some.

https://www.needymeds.org

If you drank like I did wouldn't you probably make back the cost of seeing a Dr in a week when you're not buying booze?

A medical detox would be more expensive but there again - not buying booze would give you a great financial boost to pay that off quickly too.

In the end, you've quit before so consider - just consider - maybe it's not really the massive Catch 22 your addiction is building it up as?

D
Old 08-03-2019, 03:36 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
nez

here is a link to check out
americanaddictioncenters.org/rehab-guide/free
Old 08-03-2019, 05:46 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

The Salvation Army offers free detox services in many areas. Most municipal drug & alcohol resource centers have access to low cost/sometimes free service as well.
Old 08-03-2019, 05:51 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

A lot of ER's and hospitals will set up a payment plan for urgent/needed care(within reason). I broke my arm playing sports a few years ago(drunk) and had zero insurance/horrible credit score. I didn't even have any cash/cards on me. My total bill was around $3k..my payment was made on zero money down @ $20/month.
Old 08-03-2019, 07:08 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

I learned the lesson about going to the Salvation Army with friends that I've helped. No thanks on that one. And they're not free - they use you to sort clothes and try to teach you a religious lesson.
Old 08-03-2019, 07:10 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Plus, I could die of a seizure just talking to them.
Got anything free to treat potential seizures?
Old 08-03-2019, 07:10 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

What do you want us to say?
Old 08-03-2019, 07:11 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

If you do, I'd rather you put those tax dollars toward giving cancer patients free treatment than my dumb ass. I'll go through withdrawal and take my chances.
Old 08-03-2019, 07:16 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

I could rant, but what's the point?
Old 08-03-2019, 07:21 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

TWTOM: I hope that you find your way out of the muck and into recovery. It’s worth it and so are you.
  # 14 (permalink)  

What's caused by a b-vitamin deficiency is "wet brain" - otherwise known as Wernicke-Korsakoff syndrome.

You're not giving me medical advice, that argument is just wrong. B-vitamin deficiency doesn't cause seizures - what causes seizures is the lowering of your seizure threshold by alcohol mimicing the action of inhibitory neurotransmitters in your brain. As your liver processes the alcohol, what's left is your brain overcompensating - which leaves an abundance of excitatory neurotransmitters and the symptoms of alcohol withdrawal.

The thing is, people that are susceptible to anxiety and depression are extremely susceptible to alcohol withdrawal because they discover that alcohol "fixes it." Even if it's a temporary fix - and those symptoms take years of binging to develop. That's why alcoholism is a disease - medically.

B-vitamins help with malnutrition AFTER alcoholics have gone through detox.
  # 15 (permalink)  

Agree. Ranting won't get you sober.
Old 08-03-2019, 07:26 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

I’m completely serious. What do you honestly want us to say?

Seems like any bit of advice you have a reason as to why you can’t do it. I really don’t know what you want to hear.

Do you want us to tell you to keep drinking?
Old 08-03-2019, 07:29 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

I'll sleep in a dark place with ear plugs.

Keep my brain from going nuts. That is if I can sleep.
I have a lot of Gatorade - then watermelon when my stomach can tolerate it. I'll try not to throw up. It's the life of an advanced alcoholic.
Old 08-03-2019, 07:29 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Then I'll go back to work on Monday, gatorade in hand.
Old 08-03-2019, 07:35 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

I hope you can find some peace of mind. It would be easier to find if you're sober.
Old 08-03-2019, 07:50 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by ThatWasTheOldMe View Post
What's caused by a b-vitamin deficiency is "wet brain" - otherwise known as Wernicke-Korsakoff syndrome.

You're not giving me medical advice, that argument is just wrong. B-vitamin deficiency doesn't cause seizures - what causes seizures is the lowering of your seizure threshold by alcohol mimicing the action of inhibitory neurotransmitters in your brain. As your liver processes the alcohol, what's left is your brain overcompensating - which leaves an abundance of excitatory neurotransmitters and the symptoms of alcohol withdrawal.

The thing is, people that are susceptible to anxiety and depression are extremely susceptible to alcohol withdrawal because they discover that alcohol "fixes it." Even if it's a temporary fix - and those symptoms take years of binging to develop. That's why alcoholism is a disease - medically.

B-vitamins help with malnutrition AFTER alcoholics have gone through detox.
My son suffers from seizures due to malnutrition, sleep deprivation and vitamin deficiencies....the vitamin deficiencies were the first thing the Drs focused on....to stop the seizures..he was deficient in Magnesium and Vitamin D....enough to cause seizures.

An alcoholic is deficient in MANY vitamins....If I were you I would get them...and take them because Drs in the best hospitals here...gave them to my son and the seizures he was having non stop 5 at a time in one day....after the first dose of multivitamins they gave him...the seizures stopped...

Then we took him home and was told to feed him ensure (cause he was sleeping a lot from all the seizures took out of him) and the reason for the ensure was because of the high vitamin content.

People don't take vitamins seriously enough....they ARE the root of the problem most of the time....