Notices

Day 7 - still flat

Old 08-03-2019, 10:54 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Day 7 - still flat

Well it is seven days since I went cold turkey, feeling a lot better but still not 100%. I still have the odd wave of nausea and can still feel toxins coming out of my skin, it is sticky palms and itchy, so not pleasant.

Sleep is erratic, as is my thinking. But overall think I am getting there. I will say this for medical detox, a week down the line all physical symptoms are largely gone. I equate how I feel now to maybe about days four or five if you get treatment. But I think I needed to take this path this time to teach me. I haven't learned up to this point so here's hoping I have this time.

No cravings but I don't think I have ever had cravings, it is as simple as knowing now all it takes is one drink and boom I am right back there within a day or so.
Old 08-03-2019, 11:22 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

A week sober is a great start, but remember it takes time to get back to normal. Give yourself rest, exercise, and good food, and you should be feeling better soon.
Old 08-03-2019, 11:26 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Welcome my friend. And good for you for taking the plunge into sober land. You are on your way to the journey of a life time my friend. Join me. I am on day 91 and loving it. Keep coming back
Old 08-03-2019, 11:27 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Congratulations on completing your first week of sobriety!

The best part is that it never has to be this way again. I also quit cold turkey, it was absolutely the worst agony I've ever endured. Even though it took awhile before things like the shakes and night sweats completely subsided, by one week I was fairly certain I wasn't going to die. For me I guess that was the first milestone of my recovery.

In the earliest days I think it's most important to focus on remaining abstinent and dealing with cravings should they arise. Take care of yourself and reach out to SR if necessary.
Old 08-03-2019, 12:21 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Well done for doing it the hard way. It takes guts.
Old 08-03-2019, 12:46 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

That is awesome StrugglingTo. Watch that 1-2 week time frame. You will start feeling human again and your inner addict will try to convince you that moderation is possible. Anecdotally, I notice a bubble of slips and relapses happening around then. Enjoy your clear-headed mornings.
Old 08-03-2019, 01:12 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I remember being a little foggy for the first month or so. It gets better. Hang in there.
Old 08-03-2019, 03:38 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Administrator

congrats on your week strugglingto - things get better- hang in there

D
Old 08-03-2019, 07:09 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Imagine you can still feel the toxins....what if you were still pouring those toxins in your body...or if I was?

That was a terrible way to live...I remember after 2 weeks first having a really good appetite again.

I don't think your body is completely healed...we do a lot of damage...I think it is so normal for you to be feeling "flat"....you need more time..7 days is really a drop in a hat compared to what damage has been done to our bodies with alcohol....it really takes some time.

I bet by next week if you still are sober...you will be booming with energy..and in a totally different mind set...just hold on and don't drink.