Newcomer

Old 08-02-2019, 04:38 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Newcomer

New to the forum but not new to addiction. My ex of 15 yrs is an alcoholic and addict. He was arrested in January and expected to he released in September.

i am wanting to find an online meeting and perhaps find a sponser as well. Do people ever sponsor family and friends and help them through the steps?
Old 08-02-2019, 05:09 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I'm not sure about your questions but I just wanted to jump on here to say hi, and you've come to the right place. I would be a complete mess without the support and advice I have received on this forum.
Old 08-02-2019, 05:43 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Welcome.

A sponsor is not usually friends or family. They are usually someone in the same program as you who are ahead of you in their growth and recovery.
Old 08-02-2019, 08:07 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Hi misfitlife!
Welcome!

Have you been to any AlAnon meetings?
Here's the link to help locate them - and under the "Meetings" tab there is a selection for "Electronic Meetings" so maybe look there if online or phone meetings work best for you. And yes, as you get familiar with the steps in AlAnon you can find a sponsor at whatever meeting you've chosen to help you work those steps.

https://al-anon.org

Here on SR we meet at all times of day on this forum and at all hours and post threads on any topic, fear, situation, or tell our story, and our members respond/share their own experiences as it relates to that topic. For me SR has been a useful adjunct to AlAnon meetings and regular therapy. I continue to learn so much from everyone on here.

Glad you are reaching out! Keep seeking and accepting help.
Peace,
B.
Old 08-02-2019, 08:09 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Hello and welcome!
Old 08-02-2019, 08:11 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Friendly Folk

Hi and welcome!
You will find alot of support here so keep asking questions and posting your updates!
Old 08-02-2019, 10:36 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Thanks everyone. I think I worded my question backwards. What I was asking is if, like addicts and alcoholics have sponsors their were sponsers for the friends and and families as well. Someone had advised it would be beneficial to me to also work the steps the same as he was.
Old 08-02-2019, 10:56 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Hi Misfit. For the Friends and Family of alcoholics there is Al-Anon, rather than AA. Al-Anon also has a 12 step program, with face to face as well as online meetings.

You can check them out here: https://al-anon.org/

"How will Al-Anon help me?

Many who come to Al-Anon/Alateen are in despair, feeling hopeless, unable to believe that things can ever change. We want our lives to be different, but nothing we have done has brought about change. We all come to Al-Anon because we want and need help.

In Al-Anon and Alateen, members share their own experience, strength, and hope with each other. You will meet others who share your feelings and frustrations, if not your exact situation. We come together to learn a better way of life, to find happiness whether the alcoholic is still drinking or not".
Old 08-02-2019, 11:06 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Nothing new to add, other than welcome, Misfitlife!
Old 08-02-2019, 03:01 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Just wanted to second the recommendation for Alanon. Between Alanon meetings for f2f support and SR for the breadth of experience and 24/7 availability, you have a LOT of resources and support ready at hand.

Many folks don't recognize at first that Alanon and AA are 2 completely different organizations, so don't feel alone for not knowing that.

Welcome.