Notices

Guilty Pleasures - Why Guilty? Weekenders 02 - 05 August 2019

Old 08-01-2019, 01:26 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Magsie

Guilty Pleasures - Why Guilty? Weekenders 02 - 05 August 2019

Welcome to the Weekenders

Definition of guilty pleasure. : something pleasurable that induces a usually minor feeling of guilt.

Really? Should we have to bandy the word Guilty because we enjoy it something....?

https://postimages.org/][/url

Carrying on from the Weekenders discussions this week about feeling guilty for doing nothing productive, resting, feeling we should be ‘on the go’ until we’ve done all our chores. Even God rested on the 7th day and I’m sure there was still much to be done.

For me, I need time, I read my book, or watch a film or listen to music or sometimes just reflect, and I feel this is part of my recovery.

Not a Guilty Pleasure but Necessary for my well being.

https://postimages.org/][/url

Remembering Willow’s Pooh words, we can learn something perhaps from Pooh.

"Say, Pooh, why aren't you busy?" I said.
"Because it's a nice day," said Pooh.
"Yes, but ---"
"Why ruin it?" he said.
"But you could be doing something Important," I said.
"I am, " said Pooh.
"Oh? Doing what?"
"Listening," he said.
"Listening to what?"
"To the birds. And that squirrel over there."
"What are they saying?" I asked.
"That it's a nice day," said Pooh.
"But you know that already," I said.
"Yes, but it's always good to hear that somebody else thinks so, too," he replied.

If this is your first weekend sober, or many, come join us for support and chat...as we know the weekends can be a struggle sometimes. (We’re here all week too!)
Old 08-01-2019, 01:57 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Ooooooh I’m first lol.

Hi everyone

Kaily do you know how much your post made me laugh !!!!!
“ operation carrot aborted “
Isn’t it funny how you can read something and it just makes you crack up laughing.
Well this is one of those moments , ta Kailey.

This is a really lovely group, I’ve been reading all your posts and there’s such a good mix of people in n here.

I’m staying, lol

It’s Thursday night here in Australia . Freezing cold in little ole Adelaide , but m so happy to be sober for it.

Wishing you all a wonderful weekend everyone.

Much love

Awesome Thread dear Mags, probably because you are awesome

Xox

What plans do you all have xx
Old 08-01-2019, 02:08 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Magsie

Thanks Snoozy. No plans for me except pottering about x
Old 08-01-2019, 02:14 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Thanks Mags
Old 08-01-2019, 02:33 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Hello! Count me in, love to join a chat for this weekend No big plans, like Mags, just going about the usual and hoping for an elusive nap somewhere in there...hubs is working all weekend so I’m sure my 4yo won’t be letting mum nap too much with his antics! Nonetheless, I can dream!
Old 08-01-2019, 02:39 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
ours de petit cerveau

thanks Mags, I'm in
Old 08-01-2019, 02:40 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Ocean Lover!

Morning lovely weekenders and thanks for the new thread as always Mags! x

I have been overindulging a tad on the guilty pleasure of doing very little for a week lol. I’ve been mostly watching the new kitten and cat bond and play with each other and it’s been really nice to witness it, they are a right pair of weirdos but have kept me well entertained! Today I plan to do a top to bottom clean of the house, Max the kitten is into everything so I need to do some kitten proofing aswell.

Had a telephone interview yesterday for a contract which seemed to go well. There are second stage interviews next week and need to wait to find out if I have been selected for that but keeping positive and going to do some manifestation meditations today in an attempt to not worry and stress about it and keep positive. Also applied for a perm position at a place I really really want to work, great job too but that will take months if I am lucky enough to get an interview.

Have a good day everyone and here’s to another sober weekend! xx
Old 08-01-2019, 03:11 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Thanks Mags, I’m in

Kitty watching sounds like a lovely pastime Manta. Good luck with the job.

I definitely had a Pooh-like relaxing day on Wednesday, but I was busy working today, and tomorrow is looking busy too, so I’m off to bed for an early night (8.10pm here now). Night everyone
Old 08-01-2019, 04:41 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Good morning everyone! Love the topic - if I had all the time in the world to study and learn, I'd write a whole thesis about this topic. Some of my more frivolous guilty pleasures include: my love of pro wrestling, ice cream, makeup and skin products (I probably have enough face masks for us all to do one), video games, and a really good hamburger. Food is the biggest one for most people, but I can't afford to let myself go down that road anymore. I've mentioned it before I think, but I've researched a lot about Intuitive Eating and HAES and it's really helped me deal with food anxiety and guilt.

(also did anyone call shotgun?? )

Today I am starting a new workout routine to replace my old one of well.....doing nothing, lol. I'm always so exhausted after work and keep working late, so I'm trying out getting up and working out for about a half hour every morning. I feel pretty good this morning and ready to start my day. So we'll see. I always get up around 6am anyway to feed my cat, but we'll see how easy it is once the early summer mornings are replaced by dark winter ones.

Other than that, just have the zoo as usual this weekend. I was scheduled for a night event Saturday so I have to go in from 12-9, which I'm not looking forward to at all. We all had to do one though, so it's my turn. Only thing that sucks is that I'm gonna get home, go to sleep and go right back to the zoo at 8am the next day.

Otherwise, still truckin along. It's Thursday! Made decent progress at work this week and I'm definitely going to get overtime, even though I'll be there by 8:40 today. Workin hard and getting that $$$. If I get overtime that means I don't have to drive for Lyft, which isn't my favorite job.

Have a great day everyone! Maybe this morning workout thing will be good.
Old 08-01-2019, 05:34 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

You guys! I'm usually the biggest procrastinator ever. I'm gonna go ahead and blame my dear departed mother. She always called me lazy and well, kids (people) are generally gonna live up to or down to your expectations of them. But!

Yesterday I put things back where they belong in my living/dining room. For seven months during this construction I've had everything from my deck and storage closet in my living room and dining room. Ladders, buckets, barbeque grill, outdoor chairs, camping stuff, coolers. UGH!

There's so much room now.

I even bought a new cool art print to put over my fireplace and it looks great.

I feel like dancing. . .but that might go contrary to this week's Weekender so I won't!

Chillaxing Weekend music from Jack Johnson:

Pretend like it's the weekend now. We could pretend it all the time.

Wake up slow.

I will do very little today and not feel one smidge of guilt
Old 08-01-2019, 07:50 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Giving up is NOT an option.

I'm in!

I am trying to never feel guilty for having down time. It's a challenge for me. I just tell myself life doesn't have a finish line (well, except, you know, death) and there will ALWAYS be things that need to be done. There's no way to finish everything. So we MUST make time to enjoy, or we will surely suffer emotionally and physically.

One of the things I do for myself that I sometimes feel a little guilty about is getting pedicures. I only started getting them when I got sober, as a sort of little gift to myself when I got to another month. I don't need those little gifts anymore, but I still get pedicures. Sometimes when I'm sitting there for an hour or more, not being able to go anywhere or do anything, I feel super uncomfortable. I have to really concentrate on just letting go and relaxing. And remind myself that I actually do deserve something that's just for me every so often. I have spent most of my life feeling not good enough or deserving of indulgences - it seemed so selfish. That's a lifetime of conditioning that's hard to just let go of. I'm getting better.
Old 08-01-2019, 07:54 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Giving up is NOT an option.

OH! Finally going to get out kayak fishing on Saturday! Just bought my fishing license, and the weather is going to be perfect. My son and I leave for our San Francisco trip Sunday morning, so I am busy making sure we are ready for that. The goal is to have all laundry done, suitcases mostly packed, and things around the house taken care of by tomorrow night, so I can enjoy Saturday. I travel enough that I'm pretty relaxed about the trip itself, but the getting ready is a bit stressful.
Old 08-01-2019, 08:02 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Ocean Lover!

Lucky thing getting out kayaking Marty! I have been thinking about booking to go for a day kayaking in the lakes while I am in between jobs.

Agency called, got a second face to face interview next week xx
Old 08-01-2019, 09:38 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  
saoutchik

IN!

Great OP Mags. Relaxation qnd down time are important for our mental health and to enable us to see the bigger picture so I know it is not time wasted or even being unproductive. That saidI too have anxiety or guilt when not "doing" stuff.

Good luck with the two job applications MantaLady.

I will be taking some unplanned relaxation next week. I already have the week after next booked as holiday and was procrastinating about visiting Scotland but I recieved a letter from the hospital this morning informing me that my hernia operation is set for 14th August which is the day before my birthday.

I cannot delay it as I might have to wait months to redschedule so I have managed to get next week off as well so I can at least have some time off AND be active. I will struggle to find anywhere to stay at such short notice too, hey ho.
Old 08-01-2019, 10:30 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Oh, man, Sao. Well, you'll be glad to have that over with, right?

How far do you have to go to have the surgery? Can you lean on the family for rides and places to stay (?)...I'm sure they'd do all they can to help.

Yay on that second interview, Manta. That sounds promising.
Old 08-01-2019, 01:24 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  
Mr

Thanks Mags and great OP.
Bye bye July and welcome August.
Hope you are all having a great day.

I've organized a caravan and a 4x4 for the next week so we may just go doing the tourist thing. I may have photos to post

Goodnight weekenders
Old 08-01-2019, 02:18 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Good morning weekenders
It’s Friday here and I’m working today.
I’m still struggling not feeling guilty when I’m relaxing. Intellectually I know I work hard when I’m working, and I deserve time off to relax, but that mean, nasty little demeaning voice is still in there telling me off, berating and belittling me, trying to undermine my self-confidence and self-worth. I think it’s possibly the AV’s cousin, or side-kick. Or maybe it’s even the AV in another guise...
Either way, the nasty little voice deserves the same treatment as the AV.
Banishment
Old 08-01-2019, 02:58 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  
saoutchik

Originally Posted by biminiblue View Post
How far do you have to go to have the surgery? Can you lean on the family for rides and places to stay (?)...I'm sure they'd do all they can to help.
I'll certainly be glad to get it over with bim. Fortunately it's not a big deal these days - keyhole and all that so it is just outpatient surgery. I only have to stop eating at midnight the night before. It's not far at all, less than a mile. I have not given getting home a thought yet but I'm sure I will find someone. I could probably get a cab if I have to.

Looking forward to seeing some pics of the Emerald Isle Vinny, it always looks magical. Caravan and 4X4 sounds great.

I agree Willow, banish that thought. It's not as if we feel guilty for needing sleep so R&R should be the same.
Old 08-01-2019, 06:28 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Hawk- the piano is a joy. Like riding a bike again. The cello is way more challenging. My right hand after many procedures and a bog graft- the fingers (esp little finger) has loosened up from scar/contractures- but it is nowhere near normal, but good enough to do stuff. It will require many hours of retraining brain to unlearn 'classical' hand positions for piano and the bow (cello) 'cos it is just anatomically impossible to do it the 'right' way. Who cares so long as music comes out. Not seen as a task, to do all the scales and stuff...I feel more at peace just being around my little new friends.
Old 08-01-2019, 06:58 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  

I think that's pure magic PJ. So happy for you.