Notices

Advice Please

Old 07-31-2019, 01:42 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Advice Please

Hi All

Am currently on day 6 alcohol free went cold turkey. I have a Doctors appointment in a few days and was just wondering if i'm totally open and honest with them about my addictions (I have 3) what should I expect? I've been to Doctors before but have never been totally honest and have dressed down my problems.

My second question is if I have 3 addictions and want to start working the steps through aa,na and ga do I work the steps through each of the 3 addictions?

Many thanks
Old 07-31-2019, 03:16 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Are you going to the dr for a regular physical or to receive help for your addiction? I've always been very upfront with drs about my addiction but I have heard from some that having that in your medical records can be an issue in certain countries.

I guess if you are looking for addiction support then yes, be totally honest.
Old 07-31-2019, 03:17 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Blue Belt

i was a big drunk that had a job requiring annual physicals to ensure mental and physical ability is maintained.

I didn't tell my doctor anything about what i was dealing with because if I did, i might have lost my job.

I didn't get a really good check up until about 2 years clean. I came out as pretty healthy for my age.

Now for you, it is up to you. I believe that once you admit you are an addict and need meds or pro. counseling, it is on the record. Jobs, insurance etc. could be influenced.

But, if you really need help, I would rather you come clean than continue to hurt yourself/others.

This place gave me everything I needed to get/stay this clean.

It is a whole new and wonderful world. Having the contrast of being heavily addicted to this clean is something a "never did drugs person" could never understand.

It has made me love what is left of my life so much more.

There is so much more.

Thanks.
Old 07-31-2019, 03:19 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Administrator

Good job on 6 days of sobriety. I think that some doctors have very little knowledge of addiction, but some are knowledgeable and supportive. Do you know your doctor well?

And, hopefully others will be along to give you advice about working the steps.
Old 07-31-2019, 03:34 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I'm totally honest with my doctors. Contrary to what you've read above, your medical records are private and cannot be released to anyone without your signed permission.
It's the same as a lawyer. It's doctor/patient privileged information. So you have nothing to fear there.
As I was saying, I tell my doctors all the brutal truth. That is how they know how to treat you.
Best to you with your doctor visit.
Old 07-31-2019, 04:32 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Thanks very much for the replies. It's not a Doctor I have visited before and it is purely to go and seek help for my addictions. I feel physically good (no idea how but very thankful that I do) However will go for a physical when i'm a little further down the addiction free path.
Old 07-31-2019, 04:45 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I personally would NOT tell your Drs I did...and I have lived to regret it...because when you are doing good...they will help you and give you medications..and you get used to the medication and then when you screw up.....they take away the medications....and never trust you are sober again....

It follows you...they won't give you certain medications if they know you are an alcoholic...I have insomnia very bad...and would benefit from a sleeping pill....Some Drs won't even prescribe me one because alcohol is in my past....

I had 8 years sober and had such a hard time getting medication for insomnia..finally got it and it didn't work...anyway.

But...once you "label" your self as a substance abuser....you don't get looked at the right way I don't care what anyone says.

Your second part of your question you go to whatever recovery program you enjoy...I'm an alcoholic but like NA better.....so I go to N/A meetings..as long as you are working at changing you...and making friends...and listening and learning and growing AWAY from all your addictions...you will hear things in meetings that apply to all your ADDICTIONS.

Do whatever works for you!
Old 07-31-2019, 05:10 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Blue Belt

Originally Posted by Ghostlight1 View Post
I'm totally honest with my doctors. Contrary to what you've read above, your medical records are private and cannot be released to anyone without your signed permission.
It's the same as a lawyer. It's doctor/patient privileged information. So you have nothing to fear there.
As I was saying, I tell my doctors all the brutal truth. That is how they know how to treat you.
Best to you with your doctor visit.
Many if not all job applications or insurance documents I have read ask questions like, "Have you ever been diagnosed..blah blah."

Once the cat is out of the bag...it is out.

In my experience with Dr.'s, they tend to not want to know what is going on in my head. They check my vitals etc. If I start offering additional info. I feel like they are thinking..."what are you trying to get at?" Then they reach into the "feel good bag."

I don't trust Dr.'s as much as some I figure. It might be because I have moved around so much and have never had the same Dr.'s for more that a couple of visits.

For some folks that might be the only way. Just depends. I am not going to get too preachy because i could relapse and need a Dr.'s help to pull out.

As an addict, I am positive that if I didn't have a job that would have fired me for taking anti depressants or whatever, I would be on something right now.

Instead, I just finished a protein bar and am working on a 40 oz. of nice cold water.

Thanks.
Old 07-31-2019, 05:16 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Administrator

My experience with drs was totally positive

They've all been very supportive and willing to work with me with my other health issues.

I understand I'm in Australia but I can not recommend being honest and open with your Doctors enough.

If your current dr has let you down find a doctor you can trust.

IMO, there's no sense in only telling half the story- unless you want only half assed treatment.

D
Old 07-31-2019, 06:29 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

I was honest with my doc. Due to another issue I was going to doc for. And when she asked if I drank I said I had just quit I was like 30 days sober by then. So she asked for blood work and all that to make sure my liver was okay. When the results came I was relieved to be told that everything was normal. So I was like yes score. So that being said I have continued my sober journey. Of good health. Forever greatful to my higher power. I will not let him down for the blessings I am receiving. I am on day 88 right now. And loving it. And the blessings keep coming. From the roof top...SOBRIETY ROCKS!!!! Keep coming back
Old 07-31-2019, 06:47 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Dee74 View Post
My experience with drs was totally positive

They've all been very supportive and willing to work with me with my other health issues.

I understand I'm in Australia but I can not recommend being honest and open with your Doctors enough.

If your current dr has let you down find a doctor you can trust.

IMO, there's no sense in only telling half the story- unless you want only half assed treatment.

D
Exactly! It isn't anything they haven't heard before. But I can understand trust issues, too.
Old 07-31-2019, 07:52 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

I've been sober longer than I've been going to my doctor, so he knows nothing other than - I don't drink at all. I think he asked me once if I had ever drank, and I told him yes, and that was why I don't drink now.
Old 07-31-2019, 09:19 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

During my last visit to my new psychiatrist, he asked if I'd ever tried to kill myself.
I said yes, I tried to drink and smoke myself to death.
Old 07-31-2019, 09:43 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Hi,
I used to lie every time I went to the doctor. When checking in with the Nurse and they'd ask if I drank and about how much? Oh, just a glass or two with dinner! Right??!!

After getting out of Rehab, I came clean with my doctor. What a big relief I felt. Whew .... nothing feels as good as the truth.

Regarding your multiple addictions. I have gone to A.A. Mtgs and C.A. Meetings. I have met very few individuals who only abused one substance. All the 12 Step Programs use the "Big Book" as the core to their Program.

Personally, C,A. Meetings have been more my cup of tea. LOL! The folks are open to everyone. You can share your experiences, ALL your experiences. Not having to edit out anything. I am an alcoholic, but in my 20's I "partied" -- did coke --with my friends. So, I can relate.

I learned so much about the drugs that are causing such damage to our youth by being in open meetings. My BB Mtg , the BEST of my week, is represented by all kinds drug users.

So, I'd say go exploring and find meetings that you feel comfortable in, and get a BB.

The life you are saving now is your own!

Bobbi
Old 08-01-2019, 04:49 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Thanks for the replies everyone I will have to think about this one. I'm on medication and wouldn't want that taken away infact would like it increased as it probably wasn't working properly while I was drinking and also would like some short term insomnia relieve. I have a friend who was honest and they won't give him anything now and he's just returned to full blown addiction.
Old 08-01-2019, 05:07 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Listen, all of the advice in here you can read them but if you need help I think not going should not be even considered an option.

To be honest, I don't think that admitting you have a problem with screw your medical or working life. This is just not true. People are drawing random conclusions.

Go to the DR, you would not regret it.
Old 08-01-2019, 06:46 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

I don't think it's a good idea to lie to your doctor, but it has nothing to do with ethics. Tell him the truth about your addictions, because he needs to know these to help make a critical diagnosis. If he calls you a low life gutter snipe, get a better doctor. Lying to a doctor is like lying to yourself. It's you not wanting to fully embrace the truth. I'm not sure, but I think you will find this to be true if you take some time to think about it.
Old 08-01-2019, 07:01 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  
Friendly Folk

The Dr. may just give you referrals because many doctors don't know much about addictions. You will be in the loop of many doctors all willing to do what they can. Be prepared to be seeing alot of them.
Old 08-01-2019, 08:20 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Thanks all, I was never considering not going to the appointment and I agree about being totally honest is being honest with myself. I've already had a referral
from a counsellor been waiting over 8 weeks for it to come through no word as yet.
Old 08-02-2019, 02:32 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Just back from the Doctors was totally open about my addictions. He admittedly knew nothing about addiction. I felt like I was the Doctor telling him what I needed lol. Got a referral to an addiction team and got my ssri's increased and got sleeping tablets I pretty much could have asked for anything. Thanks again to everyone for the replies