Notices

Top 10 moments that made me glad to be sober

Old 07-28-2019, 08:18 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Top 10 moments that made me glad to be sober

Well the trip is over, and we’re driving home on the final stretch. A lot of ups and downs, but overall it went well. Here are my Top 10 “Thank God I’m Sober” Moments from the trip:

1. When I had a coherent conversation about my mom’s care, and now can rest easy that a solid plan is in place.

2. When my mom ended up in the ER.

3. When I had to jump in the car to rush off and take care of something that came up.

4. When we took the kids to the beach and had a fun, relaxing time in spite of the other stuff.

5. Oh, and speaking of the beach. There was this couple drinking on the beach while their little boy was off swimming. They took their eyes off him and then couldn’t find him. They were in a panic, screaming his name at the ocean. Then they saw him; he was fine but had just drifted out of their line of sight. Not sure if alcohol was to blame for their lack of attention, but it couldn’t have helped. I felt so awful for them and so relieved. And grateful to be on full alert when it comes to my own kids’ safety.

6. When I decided to go on and have some ice cream. I used to never indulge in treats like this because I was saving my calories for alcohol.

7. When I got up early and took some nice, hangover-free walks on the beach.

8. When I watched the sunset with my kids, figured out which planet was Jupiter, then went for a swim in the hotel pool. Wouldn’t have done that if I had been drinking.

9. Is it possible I actually lost a couple of pounds? My pants feel kind of loose.

10. Heading home with no regrets.

Bottom line: sobriety has helped me take the good and bad things that happen and deal with it. I’ve been reading The Subtle Art Of Not Giving a **** and there’s this quote: “The desire for more positive experience is itself a negative experience. And, paradoxically, the acceptance of one’s negative experience is itself a positive experience.” That kind of sums up what I’ve been having to learn since getting sober.

Anyway, gotta go; we’re stopping for food soon.
Old 07-28-2019, 09:05 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Good morning . makes me smile to read success stories . very humble feeling. I'm kind of in the same boat. Except no beach .....yet. But I had family over last night. Spent quality. Time with them . quality not quantity is the key feel me . clear headed not a rambling boozed infused conversation that I probably wouldnt remember if it was 85 days ago. So now this morning I am trying to do an inventory on my camping supplies being my ex wife kept all of my stuff. Thays okay its only material things I can replace them . look forward to camp and actually do camping stuff. Because back then I had good intentions of going fishing and all that kind of stuff but none of the stuff ever got out of the car because I was
Old 07-28-2019, 09:56 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I love your quote from “The Subtle Art of....”

Well done for today, such positivity.
Old 07-28-2019, 01:51 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I loved reading this. ❤❤

No 5 really stuck out for me. I used to drink at the beach all the time with my daughter. My mum and dad came once and were really concerned. I'd be in the sea with her and everything. I just shrugged off their worries with "I'm fine. She's fine." I always thought I was in control. Thank God nothing did ever happen but when I think back it makes me feel sick and I am so grateful that today I am a sober mum on full alert as well.

Thanks for sharing this x x
Old 07-28-2019, 06:00 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by snitch View Post
I loved reading this. ❤❤

No 5 really stuck out for me. I used to drink at the beach all the time with my daughter. My mum and dad came once and were really concerned. I'd be in the sea with her and everything. I just shrugged off their worries with "I'm fine. She's fine." I always thought I was in control. Thank God nothing did ever happen but when I think back it makes me feel sick and I am so grateful that today I am a sober mum on full alert as well.

Thanks for sharing this x x
Yeah, this is the stuff of nightmares. The way alcohol makes us inattentive opens us up to so many bad situations. It’s not always life or death; sometimes it’s just detecting when things aren’t going well at school, or when they need a little extra help with something. Any time we operate at less than 100%, our kids get shortchanged.

And if something truly terrible were to happen on my watch, and I’m under the influence ... I’d never forgive myself.

It’s just ... thank god we’re sober, right? I know we’re supposed to be doing this for ourselves, which I am, but holy crap, kids are a huge motivator. They deserve sober parents.
Old 07-28-2019, 06:13 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Administrator

good for you Bonniefloyd
Old 07-28-2019, 06:42 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I love your quote...so..so...so..so..soooooo Proud of YOU......I knew that if you could successfully get thru this vacation without a drink..that you would get some new "tools" and learn new things about yourself.

Very cool!
Old 07-28-2019, 06:43 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Thanks for sharing that, it's very inspiring!
Old 07-29-2019, 11:48 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Love this post! You must be so proud of yourself! I have gone on a couple of sober vacations recently- and it is eye opening how many trips I have allowed alcohol to completely ruin.