Notices

Day 4 anger

Old 07-28-2019, 04:12 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Day 4 anger

Anyone experience stupid anger and getting angry at stupid things and taking it out on loved ones in the early stages.

In such a depressed and horrible mood
Old 07-28-2019, 04:30 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

I think that's pretty common Al - but most of all I think I was angry at myself?

D
Old 07-28-2019, 04:40 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I was angry and inpatient in my early days of sobriety. I was unhappy and I was restless. I had trouble sitting and watching T.V.
It took awhile to finally relax and enjoy the peace of my sobriety but I am here to say it really does get so much better. Give your brain time to heal and you will be richly rewarded.
Old 07-28-2019, 04:41 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Oh yes. Very irritable early on. Good job on 4 days.
Old 07-28-2019, 04:46 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Indeed. I am four months in and still have moments like that. It one of the hardest parts of sobriety for me.
Old 07-28-2019, 05:43 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
~sb

when I am overwhelmed (super angry and not wanting to take it out on others) I use a journal, it helps a lot
Old 07-28-2019, 06:06 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I'm having this problem, too. It's gotten better, I'm on 19 days, but it is still there from time to time. I really acted out on day two and messed up because of my anger, so I've been stopping before I speak since then. It's been a good reminder for me. Whenever I start feeling angry or paranoid, I stop and remember that my brain is healing and I will wish later that I had just let whatever it is pass.
Do something nice for yourself today.
Old 07-28-2019, 06:32 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Blue Belt

When I was actively addicted it was anything can happen time. I was insane.

I saw that in my old drinking buddy after I quit. He could go from totally calm to screaming in .03 seconds.

When I was initially healing, I was pretty angry for about 6 months.

Brain damage from booze. Good reason to never relapse again.

These days i still get a little angry mostly at my wife. She knows how to push my buttons.

But, I don't get very angry, more disappointed. Since I never got too mad, things settle faster.

People at work saw my drinking dark side the most and are still on guard.

Most know I quit drinking and think i had a problem with booze. It is true, I was a dead man walking. They didn't know how bad I was. Neither did i.

I don't expect much f2f support from anyone these days.

Even when I went to AA meetings, folks didn't take a genuine interest in me. It takes time, even in AA, to build a support network.

There are nice folks here on Sr, but online support is only as good as i decide it to be.

Understanding that I made this mess and I deserve what I am going through is my go to move.

I take full responsibility for my sober and mental success.

I make it a great day.

That being said, I can go from perfectly content to a sad place and back 20 or more times a day. Sometimes I have to force it.

Gratitude etc.

Thanks.
Old 07-28-2019, 07:23 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Great job to getting to day 4! I felt a wide range of emotions for sure. Just remember that these feelings and struggles will pass. Just try to do something productive for the day, and try to keep things simple.
Old 07-28-2019, 09:21 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

This is normal. Your brain is tweaking because its no longer getting its medicine . feel me. Stay sober and alot of your problems now will not be problems. Keep coming back.
Old 07-28-2019, 06:51 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Oh yeah. Even to the point I couldn’t focus on a computer screen. It does get better (fortunately).
Old 07-28-2019, 06:57 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

I find it very educational to read these boards and see that we all pretty much feel the same during the first 7 days of sobriety....angry, depressed, weak, can't see a brighter future..etc.

I promise...stay stopped and you start to see more clearly....the anger will pass....or at least stop being so intense.
Old 07-28-2019, 07:24 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Oh yes. The first two week you can expect a fair amount of that. During that time I wanted to drop kick anyone for so much as smiling at me. Be patient with yourself and do your best to stay away from people. It doesn't feel like it, but it will pass and get back to normal
Old 07-28-2019, 07:50 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

I was very anxious and irritable for a while. I live alone so the person who bore the brunt of my anger was me. But it settles down after a while. It gets better.