I just had a moment...

Old 07-27-2019, 09:24 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

I just had a moment...

This orning i observed to AH that he had had a nasty bit of reflux overnight. Probs the bit of cheese he ate before bed, not the 2 bottles of wine...
Anyway, he snapped at me saying that "you just have to point it out every time, dont you?"
i replied yes, as it woke me up at 445am and ive been awake ever since.
Thats all he's said to me all day.
So, I'm a bit mad, and thrown a pile of things that dont belong upstairs over the balcony to downstairs. Gosh it felt good at the time, but now i just feel crushed.
How did I become this monster?????
Years and years of not being heard and pushed away. Years of being in the NPD/A s#$tstorm, and only really having clarity on it since joining you lovely people on here.
Old 07-27-2019, 10:24 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Cripes, that sounds so 'poor me'. Sorry.
Old 07-27-2019, 11:04 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Wombaticus View Post
How did I become this monster?????
I think that when you live in that type of environment, it all gets a bit wonky.

I'm sure throwing things downstairs is not your regular m.o. - so where does that come from?

That anger/frustration/resentment must come out somewhere. Whether that's raising your voice to someone you didn't want to, snapping at someone that does not deserve it, throwing things over a rail.

Or there are other ways. Depression, anxiety.

Alcoholism affects everyone around it.
Old 07-27-2019, 11:05 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Not at all!
Old 07-27-2019, 11:46 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Yes, trailmix, its a disease with a wide reach. I just hate it SOOOOOO MUUUCCCHHHHH!
Definately not my usual m.o.
But very proud that I stood up to him...even if its only in a v small way.
Old 07-28-2019, 04:18 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Sober since 10th April 2012

You spoke an inconvenient truth Wombat. Oh, the reflux I had when I was still drinking! Strangely I embarked on the road to sobriety when (can't think of what it's called) I had a camera down my throat and they saw my stomach entrance (once again, can't think what it's called!) was inflamed. I asked my doc whether it could be from drinking - he said 'but you don't drink do you?' and that's when I told him. 2 months later I was sober.
Old 07-28-2019, 04:36 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Nope, it doesn't sound "poor me" at all. It sounds like someone who is beginning to realize how much she has changed into someone she doesn't want to be while living with active alcoholism.
Old 07-28-2019, 05:38 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Seren View Post
Nope, it doesn't sound "poor me" at all. It sounds like someone who is beginning to realize how much she has changed into someone she doesn't want to be while living with active alcoholism.
I agree with Seren 100%

I've been the "crazy" spouse of a practicing alcoholic. The ways I reacted to his behavior are not my proudest moments. Those were some of my darkest days.

Sorry you are going through this Wom. I am glad you come here to talk to us.
Old 07-28-2019, 05:54 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Totally understand

I totally understand Have never posted here before so forgive me if I’m not in the right thread. The whole be understanding and supportive is so much easier said by the ones not there!!
Old 07-28-2019, 07:57 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Wombaticus, I just really do relate to your post. You are not alone. May we find the courage and strength to begin healing ourselves.

I used to dread STBXAH coming to bed after 1-2 bottles of wine or a bunch of beer. He snored all night and the smell was such a huge turnoff. I would be a real monster the next day because I was angry and tired (but rarely had the courage to speak up) and he was a real monster because he was hung over. I write this to remind us that we aren't monsters - we're tired and frustrated with alcohol seeping into so many areas of life.

((hugs))
Old 07-28-2019, 08:30 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

I used to act like a crazy woman too, towards my AH.

I learnt in Al-anon and other programs to detach and focus on myself. I stopped reacting to AH.

I work and live in the Steps and gradually my anger, yelling, throwing things stopped. I feel comfortable in my own skin now.
Old 07-28-2019, 08:33 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Oh and having my own bedroom helped enormously!

I love it. Peace and quiet. My haven.

No drunk elephant "tiptoeing" in at 2am!! Then snoring so loudly the roof tiles fall off!
Old 07-28-2019, 08:40 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Skipper

Feeling great, you likely had an endoscopy that revealed esophagitis or gastritis as a result of reflux. I work in radiology, where we perform upper GIs . We often see the severe results of alcoholic induced conditions and diseases.
Old 07-28-2019, 01:20 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by skippernlilg View Post
Feeling great, you likely had an endoscopy that revealed esophagitis or gastritis as a result of reflux. I work in radiology, where we perform upper GIs . We often see the severe results of alcoholic induced conditions and diseases.
He had laryngitis all day from the grunting, dehydration and stomach acid. Why on earth would you want to waste a weekend dat being hungover??
Old 07-28-2019, 01:24 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by PerSe View Post
Wombaticus, I just really do relate to your post. You are not alone. May we find the courage and strength to begin healing ourselves.

I used to dread STBXAH coming to bed after 1-2 bottles of wine or a bunch of beer. He snored all night and the smell was such a huge turnoff. I would be a real monster the next day because I was angry and tired (but rarely had the courage to speak up) and he was a real monster because he was hung over. I write this to remind us that we aren't monsters - we're tired and frustrated with alcohol seeping into so many areas of life.

((hugs))
AH has been sleeping in the spare room for months full time, but prior to that, on drinking nights at my insistence. I need a good night's sleep.
the snoring, apnea, farting, smell and sweat is revolting.
Old 07-28-2019, 01:46 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Wombaticus…..when you ask "why anyone would want to spend a weekend that hung over"...….that is a rhetorical question, right?....lol....
The fact that you can ask that question shows that you are not an alcoholic...and, you think like a non alcoholic.
The overwhelming compulsion that an alcoholic feels, to take a drink, is so powerful....that they are thinking about nothing else, but getting that drink.
It would be similar to you wanting some ice water if you are in the desert, and are beginning to get hydrated.
At your husband's stage, it probably isn't to drink to "feel good'...high...and party . At this stage, it is drinking just to feel "normal" and keep the withdrawl symptoms away......
Old 07-28-2019, 03:45 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by dandylion View Post
Wombaticus…..when you ask "why anyone would want to spend a weekend that hung over"...….that is a rhetorical question, right?....lol....
The fact that you can ask that question shows that you are not an alcoholic...and, you think like a non alcoholic.
The overwhelming compulsion that an alcoholic feels, to take a drink, is so powerful....that they are thinking about nothing else, but getting that drink.
It would be similar to you wanting some ice water if you are in the desert, and are beginning to get hydrated.
At your husband's stage, it probably isn't to drink to "feel good'...high...and party . At this stage, it is drinking just to feel "normal" and keep the withdrawl symptoms away......
totally rhetorical, Dandy lol.
Last night we had a neighbour over for a drink...of course.
AH told him that alcoholics can drink a 4 litre cask of wine a day and have withdrawal seizures.
ummm ...hello???
major case of denial
just because youre not sitting in the gutter drinking cheap wine doesnt mean you're not hurting your family and you wont be there one day..
Still, shows that my challenging himabout his reflux cut through - he's obviously been on Dr google!
Old 07-28-2019, 03:51 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Wombat......oh yeah, it sounds like he is turning into a real Dr. Oz, over there.....
...or, Dr. Dolittle….
Old 07-28-2019, 04:07 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by dandylion View Post
wombat......oh yeah, it sounds like he is turning into a real dr. Oz, over there.....
...or, dr. Dolittle….
😆😆
Old 07-28-2019, 04:20 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by skippernlilg View Post
My EXAH has morning dry retching.. Snores terribly. He blamed it all on smoking.. Lol. I love my nice quiet bedroom.
​​​​​