Notices

One Year Sober Today

Old 07-25-2019, 11:19 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

One Year Sober Today

Three years ago my long time doctor left me a voice mail. My blood work was back & he needed to speak with me right away. He sounded alarmed. Turns out my liver enzymes were way, way out of bounds. We talked & I was honest with him. I was drinking a quart of vodka a day, beginning first thing in the morning & continuing all day, every day. As a self employed accountant I was able to function & get my work done but my hands were shaking & I generally felt sick & looked awful. He referred me to an addiction psychiatrist & I was diagnosed with severe alcohol dependence & severe alcohol withdrawal. He supervised a safe detox, for which I am forever grateful, & we started weekly therapy sessions & daily medication for anxiety & depression. Let me stop here & say that different things work for different people at different times & I know from reading here that medication & therapy can be a big part of sobriety. But this was not working for me. The medications flattened me out, which I hated. We talked, but never connected. I did stop drinking for a couple of stretches which would end when I thought I could moderate even though he said I would have to be the one in a million. I wasn’t adhering to his treatment. Something was missing. I didn’t have the first ingredient in my recovery - I didn’t have the belief that I could do it & the fact that I didn’t like this guy wasn’t helping. After about a year and a half I stopped seeing the psychiatrist.

About this time I did a google search for “sober” & stumbled onto this site. It is not an overstatement to say that it saved my life. I had never done anything like this. At first I just read the recovery stories, sometimes the same one over & over. I had no idea why. A few months later I posted for the first time. I connected. The generosity of the heartfelt sharing, the wisdom, the encouragement, gave me the belief. I could live a better life without drinking. I could do it. I used what I learned here to form a plan, a daily routine. Exercising first thing in the morning, which has been critical to my recovery, practicing daily gratitude, & eliminating negative thinking, adjusting & resetting to the inevitable downturns & disappointments with gratitude & positive energy. I wanted to post on this day of course to brag, but also to honor the SR community of which I have become a small part.
Old 07-26-2019, 12:14 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Congrats! Great post!
Old 07-26-2019, 12:18 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Ocean Lover!

Huge congrats and allow yourself to be very very proud of what you’ve achieved. Onwards and upwards!! xx
Old 07-26-2019, 12:49 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hearty congratulations Tailai

Personally I don't think it's bragging when it may help someone else take that first step

D
Old 07-26-2019, 01:13 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Magsie

Congratulations Tailai, one year sober is great!
Old 07-26-2019, 01:25 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Congrats on a YEAR!
Old 07-26-2019, 01:39 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Congratulation's that's amazing you have given a lot of hope this morning x
Old 07-26-2019, 04:11 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

First time post in honor of my twin brother

I'm posting for the first time today in honor of my twin brother's one year milestone:

With deepest pride, love and respect for what you have accomplished. I knew you could do it and have always believed in you. And to this wonderful SR community - THANK YOU for helping my brother get healthy and back to his true self. It means so much to our family. You are an amazing group of people.
Old 07-26-2019, 04:15 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Fantastic!!
Old 07-26-2019, 04:54 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Congrats on your Year. Pretty great isn't it?

I agree that this site is a powerful tool. I think it's just as important to post as it is to read, but then I'm chatty like that. It has been good for me to give voice to my inner fears and successes plus it may help someone else sort out what they are going through.

Thanks for posting.
Old 07-26-2019, 04:55 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Miracles happen and you are a Miracle...Congratulations on ONE YEAR!
Old 07-26-2019, 06:23 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Congratulations and I fully agree that this is one great forum.! With the help of the great people here , I am finally sober for good after many futile attempts.
Old 07-26-2019, 09:02 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Congrats on one year sober!
Old 07-26-2019, 09:32 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Congrats on 1 year! That is fantastic!

Thank you for sharing your story. ❤
Old 07-26-2019, 09:38 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Congratulations Tailai, on your year, that’s an absolutely brilliant achievement!
Old 07-26-2019, 11:19 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  
Administrator

Talai, congratulations on your year of recovery!

SR has been a lifeline for me, too, and I know your post will inspire others to connect here and to benefit from our community.
Old 07-26-2019, 11:30 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

That's awesome and a huge milestone, so congratulations. I'm very happy for you.
I'm glad you found this site. It's keeping me sober, too.
Old 07-26-2019, 11:47 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Fantastic news! Glad for you.
Old 07-26-2019, 11:52 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Congrats on a year that’s amazing!

Your drinking sounds a lot like mine. This site is one of the best sobriety tools around. I found it one day when I was researching alcohol withdrawal when I was going through it and absolutely terrified. I clicked on a link to a post and was amazed to find I wasn’t so alone after all.
Old 07-26-2019, 01:16 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Congrats on one year!