Notices

Funerals suck

Old 07-25-2019, 03:38 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Funerals suck

I'm on again off again here. Alcohol is a problem for me. Just got a call, my friend who I haven't talked to much to in the last year(me out of the country). Apparently things got bad, in shape healthy guy but his organs couldn't take it and decided they were done.

It's crazy he was only 37, but we lived in the Caribbean together where its normal to pour rum in your coffee. He stayed, I left, not going to his funeral. It sucks because I know how he felt, I know the next drink is making my life shorter but I take it anyway
Old 07-25-2019, 03:40 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

going to his funeral, not sure the not
Old 07-25-2019, 03:48 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
not a greeter

Knowing what alcohol did to him and knowing what it’s doing to you is a difficult wake up call. Why not think about answering that call and putting your health first and quit? Sorry about your friend. 37 is very young to die.
Old 07-25-2019, 06:30 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Yes, my sister died from addiction just a short time ago...Its crazy how that didn't WAKE me up....she almost died a year ago...just didn't wake up.

And I have drank myself ALMOST to death at least 2 times since her death...maybe 3...I don't know WHY WE are still here...but we have a purpose.

I feel I can better fulfill my purpose sober...and I made a decision to quit 33 days ago...and I have stuck to it....

You have to think a lot about choosing to live or die....

I'm certainly here to support you because this addiction is baffiling for sure...

Why do we do this? I don't know.

How do you stop? I don't know...except I do know you can't QUIT TRYING to STOP. And one of the times you "try" you may be surprised that it takes hold.

I'm so sorry about your friend....
Old 07-25-2019, 06:36 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Administrator

I'm sorry for the loss of your friend. I think he would want you to stop drinking and save your life.
Old 07-25-2019, 06:40 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Please do better for yourself than your friend did for himself.
Old 07-25-2019, 09:11 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I’m sorry for the loss of your friend. I hope you will choose to stop drinking, sobriety is worth it, and so are you.
Old 07-25-2019, 10:54 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

So sorry for your loss, it is a very sad thing for someone you care about to go. May his memory be a blessing and may you find peace and the strength you need to continue on to sobriety.
Old 07-26-2019, 12:08 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Administrator

I'm sorry for your loss.

I'm damn sure all my mates no longer alive would agree with me the smart money is on sobering up.

There's nothing romantic about dying an alcoholic death, especially an early one,...but there's a lot to be said for someone who has the guts to come through the other side.

D
Old 07-28-2019, 07:42 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

It sucked, he was a top athlete. Makes me scared for my self that his liver shut down
Old 07-28-2019, 11:25 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Sick n tired

So sad. Sorry for your loss what a waste of a young man. Alcohol truly is poison
Old 07-29-2019, 04:52 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  
not a greeter

Originally Posted by crazychef View Post
It sucked, he was a top athlete. Makes me scared for my self that his liver shut down
You still have time to quit and let your liver heal. I’ve read the liver is an amazingly resilient organ that will renew itself provided it isn’t being poisoned anymore. If you’re truly scared, seeing your doctor for bloodwork & a check up is a sound idea. And quitting drinking of course.
Old 07-29-2019, 12:48 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

I lost a friend a few years ago.

He drank himself to death.

I dropped him off at a treatment center a few years earlier, but he went AMA and back to live with his drinking buddy (who also drank himself to death).

My friend had been a wealthy plastic surgeon.

I hope that the OP learns from his friend's example that drinking is a dead end street.
Old 07-29-2019, 01:00 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

I'm sorry for your loss.

I hope you can find a better path than he did. Praying that you will.
Old 07-29-2019, 01:53 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

I'm a slow learner, but I am starting realize the many, many ways alcohol tries to do you in. Financial hardship, self injuries, saying the wrong thing to the wrong person, drink driving, to organ failure! A relative fell down the stairs drunk and died, hopefully not being alive for the days it took to discover her. Brother and sister have had a broken collar bone and broken knee cap. It's dangerous stuff. Two grandparents, while elderly, died from alcohol related illnesses....

And I don't even like to think about the close calls I've had in the past. It's insanity, and you're far from alone still drinking anyway. Lot's of people are sensible and that's fine, but I think it's just too dangerous for some people, definitely me
Old 07-29-2019, 02:27 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  
nez

What do you believe your friend would want you to know? His voice can be heard, if you listen with your heart.
Old 07-30-2019, 08:51 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

I am sorry for the loss of your friend, crazychef. You can honor his memory by committing to sobriety. You are right-funerals do suck. It hurts to say goodbye, and especially to someone so young. It doesn't have to be this way with you. Wishing you peace and comfort.