Notices

Hello everyone first time here..

Old 07-24-2019, 02:43 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Hello everyone first time here..

Hello,

I'm on my second day without having a drink! I am close to losing my wife and kids and realized they mean a lot more than a bottle of freaking booze. I figured I'd join this group after reading other posts. No major withdrawals yet just sweating at night in bed and a headaches during the day.

Thanks for having me!
Old 07-24-2019, 02:45 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome, and good job on Day 2! There is lots of support here, so I hope you continue to read and post.
Old 07-24-2019, 02:56 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Life Health Prosperity

TimetoChangenow, welcome to SR.
Old 07-24-2019, 03:12 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Heya,
welcome to the site and congratulations on two days. That is awesome.
You'll find lots of support here, so post away.
Glad to have you aboard, and remember, you never have to drink again.
Look forward to hearing more from you.
Old 07-24-2019, 03:55 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Thanks everyone on the warm welcome. It's kind of hard because I work from home and it's so easy to drink if I choose to. And then we have summer weekends, cookouts, get togethers, ect. which are ever harder. My main issue is I don't know when to stop. Where most of my friends and family can have a drink or two and be done. That's not the case for me...

I just have to keep my family first and no booze! Eye on the goal!
Old 07-24-2019, 03:58 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi and welcome timetochangenow

This is a great communtiy to be part of - glad to have you join us . Day 2 is a good start

D
Old 07-24-2019, 04:11 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Two days is big TTCN. Congrats on having the grit to do that. Don't give sleep issues another thought. Your body will be freaking out a bit in the near term because it has learned to only metabolize alcohol as its favorite sugar. Focus on how your mind feels. Even at 3:00 a.m. lying there awake, you will have a calm in your head. Embrace that and don't worry about it. Tired and clear-headed is so much better than "rested (not really rested at all)" then "hung over." You'll notice so many more hours for you to fill any way you want. Don't view it as being "bored." Savor every free hour. Even if you have nothing pressing to do in all those extra hours, they can be some beautiful hours just reflecting on how much better you feel. Don't be afraid to sit for an hour or two and just enjoy the calm.
Old 07-24-2019, 05:40 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Welcome to the family TTCN. Two days sober is a great start. The physical withdrawal usually only lasts a few days so you should start feeling better soon. If not, or if you start feeling worse, see your doctor.
Old 07-24-2019, 06:00 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Glad you joined the fight for you life..and your right to a happy one.

Its great you aren't suffering too much from detox...I hope things start to get better at home.
Old 07-24-2019, 10:57 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Welcome my brother. No worries . good on day 2 hey you got to start somewhere. Just one day at a time . yes your body is going to start cleansing its normal after you stop poisoning it. Stay hydrated . rest Will come. Give it time. I remember my day 2 . I'm at 81 now. So yes it can be done . Keep coming back
Old 07-25-2019, 11:17 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Well here I am on day three. I did not sleep well at all last night, 3-4 hours or so. I feel a lot more depressed today than I did on day 2. How long did it take most of you to get out of the blues after quitting?!
Old 07-25-2019, 11:30 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Sobriety is Traditional

It's good to see you back!

Everyone is unique. My detox experience was very different from yours--I went to an in-patient, no-cost facility. On the one hand, everything was very strange and uncomfortable, but on the other hand I was medicated. I stayed there five days.

Keep reading and posting, and remember that drinking again only makes everything worse.
Old 07-25-2019, 11:35 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Being busy was what got me through those early weeks. Also lots of physical activity. I made sure I was as tired as possible and eliminated time to “think”. Guess everyone works out their own routine for survival.
Old 07-25-2019, 11:59 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

You might experience some of those empty feelings and fogginess for some time. But day by day you will be far more clear-headed and calm. The calm and steadiness are the best. Don't worry about sleep at all. That is the very very least of your worries and at least now you are getting 3-4 hours of real sleep rather than 11 hours of nightmarish alcohol stupor sleep. Hang in there TTCN.
Old 07-25-2019, 12:01 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Hi TTCN,

Welcome to SR and congratulations on your decision to embrace sobriety! There is a new and better life which is beyond your wildest expectations waiting for you if you work a program of recovery.

When I first tried to quit drinking in 2014 my withdrawals were mild, the only symptom I remember having were night sweats for a week or two. A couple of relapses later and when I got sober for good in April 2017 the withdrawal was nearly fatal. The reason I mention this is because you would be surprised how bad our illness can get and how quickly it gets bad. It would behoove you to be disciplined in recovery when the withdrawal is relatively mild instead of waiting until you are on death's door like I did.

You mention that you don't want to lose your family as a result of your drinking. My experience has been that in the short term people can use external stimuli to motivate them to stay sober. Things like losing family, losing careers, losing freedom. However I believe that the only way to long term sobriety is to truly want it for yourself. I can attest that by being disciplined and putting in hard and sometimes uncomfortable work it is truly worth it in the end.

I wish you well on your journey.
Old 07-25-2019, 12:03 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

So happy that you are trying to overcome! Congrats to you. You will find your strength! Family is so precious. Keep moving forward!
Old 07-26-2019, 12:11 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Day 4 and feeling so much better! I slept well last night besides some night sweats. My head feels much clearer and my energy level is up!
Old 07-26-2019, 12:16 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  
Mr

Well done timetochangenow and keep it going
Old 07-26-2019, 04:39 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  
Administrator

Way to go on day 4!

D
Old 07-27-2019, 06:17 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Well done TTCN!! You are out of the deep weeds, but be vigilant. I've noticed around the 2 week marker folks are feeling so great they let that alcoholic voice in their head talk them into the notion that they can moderate or are now cured. Don't fall for it. Just play the tape forward in your head to watch the ending if you are tempted. Anyway, I am not here to rain on your parade. The calm you are feeling is my favorite part of sobriety. Very well done TTCN!!!