Notices

Feeling Lost

Old 07-24-2019, 11:28 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Feeling Lost

I am just at 3 months sober. My last drink was April 23rd 2019. I spent the next 5 days in the ER and ICU with a regular hospital room on the last day.

I had tried to stop previously but failed. The last time I had even really tried was 2011. I had been drinking daily for about 30 years.

Not really having an urge to drink, just like I stated feeling lost. It's really hard to explain. I think part of it is I just am really getting to know the real me.
Old 07-24-2019, 11:41 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Very scary...but you have to admit any bad day now is better than being in the ICU due to intoxication and the havoc it wreaks on our bodies.

You say you have JUST 3 months....3 months is a SUPER BIG ACCOMPLISHMENT after 30 years...

Read about Post Acute Withdrawal syndrome and you will understand some of what you are feeling right now...

Drinking will never get better in fact they say if we start again we go back to where we left off or wind up worse off....In your case...worse off would be "dead".

Congratulations on 3 MONTHS!
Old 07-24-2019, 11:42 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

In a sense we are in mourning. And feel lost cause our crutch is gone. Bet your legs are stronger now..... Keep coming back.
Old 07-24-2019, 11:58 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
saoutchik

Congratulations on 3 months twcjeep, that is a fantastic achievement (I drank most days for 35 years, alcoholically for about 10) When we soak our brains in poison for years it does take quite a long time for it to become used to the new, alcohol free normal and you are right - you are discovering, or perhaps rediscovering the real you who has been hidden behind the booze so it is understandable that you would feel a bit lost.

Completing three months/90 days is the kind of AA and other group's standard early sobriety target. You have done that so one thing you can know about yourself is that you are an aciever if you put your mind to it.
Old 07-24-2019, 12:00 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Welcome to the family. It's normal to feel a bit 'lost' in early recovery. Your body and brain are healing and it takes a while to feel good again. Congrats on 3 months sober!
Old 07-24-2019, 12:23 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Hi twcjeep welcome and well done.

When we are dependant on alcohol it becomes our whole world. Always craving the next drink and planning how to get it. Dealing with hangovers, repercussions and withdrawals. It is a all consuming occupation.

So when we take that away we are understandably lost, we don't recognise or know ourselves. We don't know what we do for fun, stress or relaxation. We have to relearn everything sober without our one love ~ alcohol.

It is a difficult bumpy road but worth it. I am lost but slowly finding my sober way to destination happy.
Old 07-24-2019, 12:29 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome, and congratulations on 3 months of sobriety.

I think it's normal to have those kinds of feelings in early recovery. Like you, I had to get to know myself and get used to living without alcohol. I wonder if you've made other changes in your life besides stopping drinking? If you're feeling lonely, maybe you could get involved in some hobby or community activity?
Old 07-24-2019, 12:35 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

I am about the same time sober and also getting to know the real me. It is sometimes a bit disappointing. Lots of things to work on in recovery. And yes, sometimes lost,
Old 07-24-2019, 02:30 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Thanks everyone for the reply's.... @Anna, I have been getting involved in some other activities.

@Missy2, a bad day now is Much Better than any day in the ICU or the ER
Old 07-24-2019, 04:32 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Administrator

hi and welcome twcjeep

I drank for twenty years and smoked weed for longer than that - it took a little time for me to rediscover who the real me was too.

It took me about 3 months to start to get out from under the dark cloud alcoholism had me under...I hope it works that way for you too

D