Notices

This time last year..

Old 07-23-2019, 12:37 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

This time last year..

So this morning I was up bright and early at 6am. I went for a five mile run and I’m now ready to start the day with a spring in my step. It’s such a gorgeous day. But let’s talk about this exact time last year.

This time last year I was off work sick due to a broken arm which was caused by a drunken fall. With the time off work I was drinking around the clock and probably consuming about a large bottle of spirits every day. I was on a break in my relationship which was my idea so I could hide the state that I was in. I hadn’t eaten for a week and my body was going into constant withdrawals. It’s a miracle I didn’t have a seizure but I felt like I was always on the edge of one. I was getting around 2 hours of sleep every night and having terrifying auditory hallucinations and night sweats. I was vomiting bile and passing dark tarry stools sometimes five times an hour and yet still drinking to stop my body from going into shock. I was on the phone to helplines and doctors crying and begging them to help me. I can’t imagine how hysterical I must’ve sounded to the people I was speaking to. I wanted to stop drinking but I could sense I was in a danger zone and I didn’t know what to do. I was sometimes showering up to 5 times a day to try and get rid of the horrible stench coming from my pores but it didn’t make a difference as I was constantly sweating stale alcohol. I was convinced I was suffering from wet brain and I would never be the same again. My eyes and skin were yellow and my belly was descended. In the end I called myself a cab to the hospital where I sat in a&e for 5 hours. When the nurse called my name I could barely stand. They put me on a drip, did some bloods and sent me on my way telling me to keep drinking.

I somehow managed to taper over the course of a few days after that. I remember pacing the floor in my bedroom all night debating calling an ambulance. I was terrified if I sat down or closed my eyes I wouldn’t wake up again.

That still wasn’t my last rodeo. I carried on drinking until the end of last year and went through withdrawal again one more time. I know it’s good to focus on the good things in sobriety but I wanted to write this out and share it because I can feel myself becoming complacent. The girl that went through this feels like a completely different person. I’m in such a good place now that it’s hard to believe that was me but IT WAS ME. I need to remember that was me when I have the fleeting thought that a glass of Chardonnay would be nice in the sun. I am so lucky that I didn’t lose my home, job, relationship and ultimately my life and I never want to go back to that place in hell ever again.

Last edited by noaddedsugar; 07-23-2019 at 12:39 AM. Reason: spelling
Old 07-23-2019, 12:47 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Thanks for sharing this. I think that it is good to remember where we came from so we can see how much better off we are without any substances.
Old 07-23-2019, 01:09 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

What a transformation. I can totally relate to that feeling of being barely able to stand and the smell of stale booze off me. Great reminder of the true horror s drinking take us to. Glad you made it through.
Old 07-23-2019, 01:22 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Wow flash back. I too remember the withdrawal I went thru as well. Fact I will never forget. But thru the grace of my higher power whom I finally begged for help. Pulled me out of the vicious cycle I kept self inflicting myself . that was 80 days ago. Which I why I use the play the tape method when an itch comes about. And Again thru. The grace I am well on my road to recovery. One day at a time. Thank you for sharing. Many blessings to you and all who seek the relief of that bondage. Keep coming back.
Old 07-23-2019, 01:22 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Great post and well done!

I am guessing you are in the UK? I was drinking a minimum of 70cl of vodka a day. I eventually presented myself at A&E only to be told the same as you ~ go home and keep drinking. I did for another 2 years, I found it near on impossible to taper. Plus what better than to be told by a doctor to keep drinking...

Somehow I am now 9 months sober, can't even explain how as it is all a haze.

Keep doing what your doing.
Old 07-23-2019, 05:07 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

This is a brilliant story for me to read (Day 2 here). Thank you for sharing! :-D
Old 07-23-2019, 12:25 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Happy to share! I guess in some ways I’ve tried to blank this experience out because it was such a hard time. I think forcing myself to go back and face the way things were has put me in a bit of a somber mood today but I do feel it’s important.

Originally Posted by Kaily View Post
Great post and well done!

I am guessing you are in the UK? I was drinking a minimum of 70cl of vodka a day. I eventually presented myself at A&E only to be told the same as you ~ go home and keep drinking. I did for another 2 years, I found it near on impossible to taper. Plus what better than to be told by a doctor to keep drinking...

Somehow I am now 9 months sober, can't even explain how as it is all a haze.

Keep doing what your doing.
Indeed I am in the UK. I was very shocked to find that’s the way they do things here! The moment you realise you are physically dependent on alcohol is terrifying. You’re right it’s almost impossible for an alcoholic to taper and I found it so ironic to be told to go home and carry on drinking and essentially poisoning/killing myself slowly. The system here is extremely messed up. That was the second time I ended up in hospital due to alcohol withdrawal. The first time I was worse and experiencing a kind of delirium where I thought I was in a coma. The drug and alcohol nurse assessed me and gave me a dose of Librium and sent me on my way although I did have people with me then I’m not sure if that made a difference.

Well done on your 9 months - that’s amazing I think I do remember reading one of your old threads actually and thinking about how much I could relate. Vodka is the devil itself!
Old 07-23-2019, 12:33 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Yo, you went through hell. Very well done on being where you are now.
Old 07-23-2019, 01:16 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Callas View Post
Yo, you went through hell. Very well done on being where you are now.
Thanks that means a lot!
Old 07-23-2019, 01:35 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Administrator

This is a great post, Noaddedsugar! Congratulations on your recovery.

I know what you mean about looking back. Sometimes it seems unreal to me that I went through what I did and survived. I'm glad you are doing so well.
Old 07-23-2019, 01:44 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Thank you for sharing your story. You are amazing!!
Old 07-23-2019, 02:59 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Congratulations. I always appreciate those who take the time to write in vivid detail their experience. Its a constant reminder we live close to the edge and need to be vigilant.
Old 07-23-2019, 06:15 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Thank you ..Thank you...Thank you....
Your story is probably very similar if not exact to others stories and mine.

I have a month...your post just gave me further inspiration to stay sober..I want to look BACK and have this difficult time be further away from me and in the past.

Congratulations...
Old 07-23-2019, 07:21 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Very powerful post. Amazing transformation. I'm glad you got through and are able to share your story with us.
Old 07-23-2019, 07:26 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Thank you for sharing. Sometimes when we reflect on where we came from we can better appreciate where we are.
I remember journaling about my first day sober so that I could reread and never forget that feeling. I still drank again but finally found sobriety.
Old 07-23-2019, 07:46 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  
Administrator

congrats on your sober time noaddedsugar

D
Old 07-23-2019, 07:49 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by noaddedsugar View Post
So this morning I was up bright and early at 6am. I went for a five mile run and I’m now ready to start the day with a spring in my step. It’s such a gorgeous day. But let’s talk about this exact time last year.

This time last year I was off work sick due to a broken arm which was caused by a drunken fall. With the time off work I was drinking around the clock and probably consuming about a large bottle of spirits every day. I was on a break in my relationship which was my idea so I could hide the state that I was in. I hadn’t eaten for a week and my body was going into constant withdrawals. It’s a miracle I didn’t have a seizure but I felt like I was always on the edge of one. I was getting around 2 hours of sleep every night and having terrifying auditory hallucinations and night sweats. I was vomiting bile and passing dark tarry stools sometimes five times an hour and yet still drinking to stop my body from going into shock. I was on the phone to helplines and doctors crying and begging them to help me. I can’t imagine how hysterical I must’ve sounded to the people I was speaking to. I wanted to stop drinking but I could sense I was in a danger zone and I didn’t know what to do. I was sometimes showering up to 5 times a day to try and get rid of the horrible stench coming from my pores but it didn’t make a difference as I was constantly sweating stale alcohol. I was convinced I was suffering from wet brain and I would never be the same again. My eyes and skin were yellow and my belly was descended. In the end I called myself a cab to the hospital where I sat in a&e for 5 hours. When the nurse called my name I could barely stand. They put me on a drip, did some bloods and sent me on my way telling me to keep drinking.

I somehow managed to taper over the course of a few days after that. I remember pacing the floor in my bedroom all night debating calling an ambulance. I was terrified if I sat down or closed my eyes I wouldn’t wake up again.

That still wasn’t my last rodeo. I carried on drinking until the end of last year and went through withdrawal again one more time. I know it’s good to focus on the good things in sobriety but I wanted to write this out and share it because I can feel myself becoming complacent. The girl that went through this feels like a completely different person. I’m in such a good place now that it’s hard to believe that was me but IT WAS ME. I need to remember that was me when I have the fleeting thought that a glass of Chardonnay would be nice in the sun. I am so lucky that I didn’t lose my home, job, relationship and ultimately my life and I never want to go back to that place in hell ever again.
I am so very very happy to hear you are in such a better place today.
I went through pretty much h$ll last week. Except I did not shower. I was to weak. I tapered off myself on Day 2. I can not go through that again. I too afraid to close my eyes... body would jolt and feel like heart would explode. It is poison to our system. I did lose my job again. Relationship in the gutter...I still have my life and my mother is going to help me pay August rent now that I am Sober I have all ready lined up a few interviews. The most important thing is I still have my life. I am clearheaded and grateful. Detoxing from alcohol has to be one of the worst feelings in the world
Old 07-23-2019, 08:09 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Being sober takes effort but is worth it.
Old 07-24-2019, 10:17 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by faith823 View Post
I am so very very happy to hear you are in such a better place today.
I went through pretty much h$ll last week. Except I did not shower. I was to weak. I tapered off myself on Day 2. I can not go through that again. I too afraid to close my eyes... body would jolt and feel like heart would explode. It is poison to our system. I did lose my job again. Relationship in the gutter...I still have my life and my mother is going to help me pay August rent now that I am Sober I have all ready lined up a few interviews. The most important thing is I still have my life. I am clearheaded and grateful. Detoxing from alcohol has to be one of the worst feelings in the world
Wow sounds like you been through the mill! It truly is an awful poison. That’s great that you have got your Mom to help out and good luck with your interviews. Detox is the worst part for sure but sounds like you have a good outlook. I was exactly the same after my last proper detox I was just so grateful to be alive and vowed I would never ever let myself get in that state again.

Thankyou to everyone for your replies and well wishes. I really did feel so alone until I found this forum as it helps to know there are people who have been in my shoes. Even though I barely post I lurk every day and it helps me loads coming on here and knowing it’s not a solo struggle. I actually did used to post way more but the screen on my laptop broke and I haven’t bothered to get it fixed. I’d rather type on a keyboard than my phone!

Love to you all
Old 07-25-2019, 05:47 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by noaddedsugar View Post
Happy to share! I guess in some ways I’ve tried to blank this experience out because it was such a hard time. I think forcing myself to go back and face the way things were has put me in a bit of a somber mood today but I do feel it’s important.

Indeed I am in the UK. I was very shocked to find that’s the way they do things here! The moment you realise you are physically dependent on alcohol is terrifying. You’re right it’s almost impossible for an alcoholic to taper and I found it so ironic to be told to go home and carry on drinking and essentially poisoning/killing myself slowly. The system here is extremely messed up. That was the second time I ended up in hospital due to alcohol withdrawal. The first time I was worse and experiencing a kind of delirium where I thought I was in a coma. The drug and alcohol nurse assessed me and gave me a dose of Librium and sent me on my way although I did have people with me then I’m not sure if that made a difference.

Well done on your 9 months - that’s amazing I think I do remember reading one of your old threads actually and thinking about how much I could relate. Vodka is the devil itself!
I joined the site a few days ago explaining the very unimpressive experience I had with medical support. I am also in the UK! My withdrawal symptoms did not seem bad enough to go to A&E but had really high BP and heartbeat over 100 bpm. Was terrified, shaking and sure I was going to have a stroke or heart attack. I was just asked: why do you do it? And told that BP spikes are normal for alcoholics. They did not even assessed how much I was drinking or whether I could be a risk for my kids (this is my family doctor; they know I have kids). Sent home and that's it.

I am really glad you made it a full year. Following from far behind.