Notices

Sober for just over a month now.

Old 07-21-2019, 11:45 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Sober for just over a month now.

Hi, I'm John and I'm an alcoholic. I had drank full time since I was 18 (and on occasions abroad before that under my dads supervision). I think I knew in the back of my mind for the past 4 years that I have a drink problem, but like many alcoholics we deny we have a problem until something forces us to take a hard long look in the mirror and ask ourselves "What on earth do you think you are doing?". Well a few years I took the chance and tried to stop, I joined a wonderful organization which really tried to help me, but alas I wasn't ready and I stopped going to the meetings. I was in a job that was stressing me out big time and I used the excuse of carrying on drinking as a way to mask the stress and anxiety.

Fast forward 2 and a bit years.

I was made redundant and I was still drinking, my panic attacks were getting more frequent and worse until a few months ago for the first time in my life I called an ambulance because I thought I was having a heart attack. They check me over and say I'm fine. So I go back to drinking... 3 weeks later My mum and her partner are on holiday and I have another big binge (larger was my poison of choice), I phone another ambulance, this time it was worse than before but again they check me over and say I'm okay.

That's it.

After they went away I was repeatedly sick, I had lost weight which I thought was cancer due to having blood on my toilet paper for the past 6 years. Luckily the colon scope showed nothing.
That moment on, it was like something had ripped my desire to drink out of me and here 34 days later I haven't touched a single drop.

There are issues I am concerned about though, such as my weight, sugar, blood pressure and potential alcoholic neuropathy damage.

Its nice to finally take the time to find a forum that is large and has lots of active members.

​​​​​
Old 07-21-2019, 11:52 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Congratulations on making it past 30 days. Hope you're feeling better and better with each passing day.
Old 07-21-2019, 12:23 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I'm getting better in some ways, but other ways I feel I'm getting worse. I seem to be getting random body pains, which I never had before (or maybe never noticed or cared about). I am more clear headed and I sleep better, but the days just seem to drag now which sets my anxiety off a bit. I'm seeing doctor on Tuesday and I'm going to try and sort it all out. I think a lot of it is in my head, but I know I need to start taking care of myself better.
Old 07-21-2019, 12:33 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Welcome to the family and congrats on your sober time! You'll find lots of support here.
Old 07-21-2019, 12:36 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

All that is are things you probably had going on. That booze was covering feel me. Now you got a clear head so you focus more . Keep not drinking and you will be amazed at the results real talk I'm at day78.
Old 07-21-2019, 01:31 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by least View Post
Welcome to the family and congrats on your sober time! You'll find lots of support here.
Thankyou.
Old 07-21-2019, 01:33 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by SoberRican View Post
All that is are things you probably had going on. That booze was covering feel me. Now you got a clear head so you focus more . Keep not drinking and you will be amazed at the results real talk I'm at day78.
I just hope that is all it is. Congrats on the 78 days. I'm just going a day at a time as to not put pressure on myself.
Old 07-21-2019, 01:47 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Hello John, and welcome. I'm glad you found us but sorry you have a reason to be here.
Congratulations on thirty four days, that is awesome.
I'm an alcoholic, too. I Started drinking at fourteen but, like you, it was pretty much full time at eighteen.

Yes, there's lots of members here with all different , but at the same time similar, issues as us.
I guess your health issues scared you into quitting? And you still have some lingering concerns about your health?
I saw a doctor after I quit to get checked out. Perhaps you should give that a shot.
I was brutally honest about my drinking. And still am today, ten and half years sober, when I see a doctor. They've heard it all before, so don't worry about that.
It's great to have you here and I hope you stick around.
Best to you.
Old 07-21-2019, 02:08 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Congrats on 34 days, that's wonderful! I can certainly relate to the health anxiety, and as hard as it can seem, seeing a doctor and really leveling with her or him about your drinking is something I would recommend. You're on the path to being free from so much of that anxiety and worry about what you've done to your health, worrying your family, etc! This place is a wonderful resource
Old 07-21-2019, 05:26 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome aboard John

you had two identical threads,m so I merged them for you.
Congrats on 34 days - that's a great start

D
Old 07-22-2019, 05:44 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Its scary when we sober up and start to worry about EVERYTHING..and we go years without worrying while we are drinking....

Just repeat to yourself when you worry....It can never be as bad as when I was drinking poison everyday...And you will go thru going to the Drs getting test results...working on your health and you will be OK.
Old 07-22-2019, 07:16 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Hey John, congratulations on your first month of freedom. If you're still concerned about your health, see a doctor and get checked out. Random aches and pains are just part of life after a certain age so don't worry about it too much.

After I quit drinking, I started exercising more and eating more fresh foods. I feel better than I have in years.
Old 07-22-2019, 08:08 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

You are doing great! Beware the highs and lows, good days bad days. 24 hours at a time. Best wishes for you on your journey!
Old 07-22-2019, 08:14 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Welcome, John.