Notices

Saturday Night, and I Aint Got Nobody...

Old 07-20-2019, 11:47 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Administrator

Saturday Night, and I Aint Got Nobody...

A little Cat Stevens there

Hi guys -

thought I'd share on a challenging night

I rarely go out of my local area but one olf my friends was having an art showing in the city so I went in.

Had a good time...everyone else drinking didn't bother me. Couple of people asked if I wanted a drink, I said no thanks.

Came home about 930...and discovered I'd taken my scooter keys with me rather than my house keys.

Saturday night. Locked out...no other keys.......freezing cold. Mrs Dee not in town....

Once I know - I would have said eff it and walked down to the NightOwl and the bottle shop and bought beer and cigarettes and whatever and probably would have passed out/ slept outside and panicked anew in the morning.

Instead I called a local locksmith...he was there in 10 mins - and although it was costly it was worth at least that to sleep in my bed...sober.

We really can change.
We really can leave the past behind.

We really can change our responses,

Never lose hope

D
Old 07-20-2019, 11:49 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

All’s well that ends well!
Old 07-20-2019, 11:49 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Thanks for sharing.

I look forward to the little moments that showcase the change and death of the old ways.

Day 3 done and feeling nothing but gratitude. Picked up my white chip today too, so feeling really good.
Old 07-20-2019, 11:50 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Administrator

Thanks Callas
That's great Nic!

D
Old 07-21-2019, 12:36 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Thanks for sharing Dee. Dealing with life on life's terms. No alcohol required 😀😀
Old 07-21-2019, 02:20 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Inspiring, Dee, thanks for sharing.
Old 07-21-2019, 07:08 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

It is amazing how much 'better' I handle everything.

Like you said, that could have been disaster. But it really was just one of those things...not a deal killer.

I had to drive from my parents house back to home (12ish hours) Thursday morning. Got going at 5:45am because I had to meet a woman to tour a home for my folks in Sacramento. Out to the car and the front tire was low. A lot low. Oh geez. So went down to the service station, which was closed and put some air in it. Prayed that I'd make it the 3 hours to Sac. I did. But it was very low again. Toured the place, made it to the tire place, had to buy two new tires.
Oh well.

In the past that would have happened 'to' me. I would have been angry or at least setting up my best victim strategy so I could drink over it. Good lord. I was like a 2 year old.

Life just happens. Feels good to be a grown up....sort of!
Old 07-21-2019, 07:13 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Administrator

I'm sorry you had to get a locksmith, Dee, but it's so nice that you had a good time.
Old 07-21-2019, 07:14 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

I cannot tell you how many times I've been locked out of something to which I have a key, but it's gone missing or it's on the other side of that locked door.

Last time it cost me $200! ...and then it turned out the keys were stuck in a corner of my backpack and I didn't see them, so I didn't even need the locksmith and the friend to drive me around and spend three hours with me. I wasn't drinking!

Only thing I can figure is that locksmith must have needed that $200 more than I did. :-|
Old 07-21-2019, 07:36 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Funny how badly alcohol screws up our problem solving skills. Calling a locksmith makes so much more sense than hitting the bottle, doesn’t it? Anyway, glad it all worked out.
Old 07-21-2019, 07:55 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

I love Cat Stevens! Thanks for sharing, good reminder that a little trip up in life is no reason to drink!
Old 07-21-2019, 07:55 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Bonniefloyd View Post
Funny how badly alcohol screws up our problem solving skills. Calling a locksmith makes so much more sense than hitting the bottle, doesn’t it? Anyway, glad it all worked out.
Ha, recently I came home drunk and panicked when I couldn't find my keys. Instead of looking for them, I walked several miles to my brother's place to sleep. When I got a lift back the next morning and we looked for them, I'd dropped them a few yards from the door right out in the open. What an idiot.

I hate that sinking feeling when you've lost your keys or phone or whatever. Glad everything worked out though.
Old 07-21-2019, 03:08 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Yeah, see!? Just because you're not drinking doesn't mean you can't have any more adventures.
Old 07-21-2019, 03:50 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  
Administrator

Thanks for sharing your experiences guys - it really is a different world..

When I got sober, it really was a revelation to me I could stay within reasonable levels of calm and that things could work out....without me drinking

but....adventures like that I can do without Dr Guy
I now have spare keys everywhere

D
Old 07-21-2019, 04:05 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  
Life Health Prosperity

Yes you can change, I have. My good friend and landlord who drinks all the time was delighted when I got my DL and made the remark that now he has a chauffeur. Doesn't bother me one bit to be around him. Before this I was living with my pilled up, drunk nephew and his girlfriend and was never tempted to drink. I wasn't talking this way 9 years ago, but every time you survive a challenging situation and win you become more powerful, and perhaps not even know it. Nice thread.
Old 07-21-2019, 06:11 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Thanks for sharing, Dee.
Old 07-21-2019, 06:24 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

I love this post Dee...I read it all and didn't realize it was you until I saw the signature...Yes we can change and leave it all behind..

Just have to keep trying until the "miracle happens".
Old 07-21-2019, 08:29 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

I hid a key container in my back yard but it's so overgrown in that spot now, I doubt I could find it. Being locked out is no fun. Knock wood, I haven't been locked out for years.

Glad you had fun at the event. And glad the locksmith was so quick in getting there.
Old 07-22-2019, 12:30 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Well done, Dee.
Old 07-22-2019, 08:07 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Very well done. I can totally see myself in a position like that using it as an excuse to drink.

A good reminder to all to have a second key and hide it someplace outside, even bury it in the ground in a certain spot and then when you get locked out it wont be such an inconvenience