Notices

My new reality

Old 07-18-2019, 07:38 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

My new reality

I'm fresh out of treatment and in a sober living house for, well, basically indigent women. That's my new reality and it's what I am. Poor but sober. I'm not feeling a bunch of support here but I'm still getting my bearings. Trying to keep an open mind and see where I fit. There are some classes I'll be attending today and a meeting tonight.
wish me luck!
Old 07-18-2019, 07:41 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Much luck to you. Stay positive and strong.
Old 07-18-2019, 07:57 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Administrator

I'm glad you're doing what you need to do to stay sober.
Old 07-18-2019, 08:00 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
12-Step Recovered Alkie

I found it difficult at time, but very good for my recovery, to be honest with myself about myself..... It's pretty darn tough to really get much accomplished when I'm not clear about where I am, what I've done, what I'm doing and where I want to be.

I applaud your honesty. It'll serve you well - I promise.
Old 07-18-2019, 09:10 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I think sober houses can be the link to starting a new life where you will no longer be poor...etc....drinking will keep you in the same place.

A girl came to stay with me she was addicted to drugs and I brought her to a facility where they detoxed her and then set her up into a sober house and from the sober house they helped her find a job and an apartment....

She is doing well....Better days are ahead..keep "movingforward"
Old 07-18-2019, 09:17 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Keep doing what your doing. Do the right thing the rest will follow.......i promise. Take care. Keep coming back
Old 07-18-2019, 09:21 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

good on ya!!!
MF, its understandable there wouldnt be much support in a SL house-everyone there is probably pretty much in the same boat. you will find the support at meetings. get phone numbers and find a sponsor,PLEASE! youre worth it.
one more thing:
i truly hope ya dont let the poor thing bother you too much. that part can be temporary.you CAN build a new and better life.
plus, your financial situation doesnt define who you are.
Old 07-18-2019, 09:30 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Remenber Humility will bring balance into your life.
Old 07-18-2019, 10:35 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

I'm glad to hear you are sober and in housing. I agree with TS that everyone there is most likely in the midst of their own struggles and may not have much energy left to engage others for awhile.

But you are beginning a new chapter and don't worry, things can turn around for the better pretty darn fast.

Look how much better you situation is compared to your first postings.
And you did that work--be proud of yourself!
Old 07-18-2019, 01:49 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Thanks for the support, I'll be leaning on it as I move along this new path.
Old 07-18-2019, 02:01 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Best of luck! You may be monetarily poor, but what you are doing for yourself will make you spiritually very wealthy!
Old 07-18-2019, 05:27 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Administrator

I feel sure there are better days ahead for you Moving Forward

D
Old 07-19-2019, 04:28 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Woke up with a clear head and am looking forward to another sober day. Not sure what the weekend looks like but I'm confident that I can get some things off my to do list and that will feel good!
Old 07-19-2019, 04:59 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

You go girl
Old 07-20-2019, 04:21 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Another sober morning. My attitude is pretty good today and I'm going to make the most of it! My toolbox is growing and it started with this forum, that's what I'm grateful for today. As always, loving the support!
Old 07-20-2019, 04:28 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Movingforward I have been having the month from hell but I was thinking of you because if I remember you are struggling financially right now?

Are you not eligible for disabilty or food assistance through ACCESS or whatever they call in your area because you SHOULD BE.

Just kinda stuck in my craw that you're not recieving more help.
Old 07-20-2019, 05:16 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Hi ShiftHappens! Nice to hear your concerns. I've applied for food stamps, I should get them in a couple weeks. I went to the food bank yesterday and am applying for a few jobs today if I can get a ride. This is all happening slower than I wanted but I'm trying!
Old 07-20-2019, 05:23 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Awesome

You deserve all good things, never forget -that.

May God bless you richly on your journey!
Old 07-20-2019, 07:05 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Yes try to get all the assistance you can. Some folks let thier pride get in the way of asking for help. Worse they can say is no. I have worked and needed no assistance for decades till this year. Which was a ruff one. Divorced.lost job.dui.full. blown in my addiction. Boozing . fast forward. And now its 77 days sober. New job. Healthy. Peace of mind....... Keep coming back
Old 07-20-2019, 07:31 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  

MF you are doing so well. You are starting over....so yeah, maybe a bit financially low. But that will change over time if you stay sober. Ive been in some rough places for detox a few times. The first time I was shocked at how the homeless were treated. I mean, we were all there receiving the same help. But when a person I had connected with told me they were being discharged, given a bus ticket and basically sent right back to the streets I was shocked. How can society do that? It wasn't the fault of the facility, that place is awesome. But the state I live in just does very little for indigent people. I thought, how do any of these people actually stay sober? Well, they don't. I realized there is so little that separates me from the person who is homeless. Nothing really. I'm just lucky. So I guess its a lesson. And a reason to be very grateful that I haven't yet lost everything.

Stay the course. Don't drink. Things will improve.