Go Back  SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information > New to Addiction and Recovery? > Newcomers to Recovery
Reload this Page >

When it’s so bad only a drink will do-what can I do? Weekenders 19 - 22 July 2019

Notices

When it’s so bad only a drink will do-what can I do? Weekenders 19 - 22 July 2019

Old 07-18-2019, 01:50 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Magsie

Welcome to the Weekenders

When it’s so bad only a drink will do. - Really?

We honestly told ourselves everything would be okay after that drink? Yeah?

We think we’ve got this...we’ve got it in the bag.

Remember why you’re here?
Remember, not drink One but drink Ten and Twenty?

But that’s all our bodies need and we’ll be okay!

How can you beat this beast, this insidious beast?(borrowed Kaily’s footnote)

Have you had the ‘ping’ yet? When you realise ‘Nope, Nah, Nada, Never!

And more importantly ‘how do we get there and how do we stay there?

If this is your first weekend sober, or many, come join us for support and chat...as we know the weekends can be a struggle sometimes. (We’re here all week too!)
Old 07-18-2019, 01:56 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

Thanks Mags

D
Old 07-18-2019, 01:58 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Magsie

Thanks Dee, I think you just sorted the pic out? I couldn’t get it to show!
Old 07-18-2019, 02:10 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Administrator

Yeah I'm not sure what all that extra stuff was

D
Old 07-18-2019, 02:11 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Shotgun!

Thanks Mags--I'm in.

There's nothing a drink won't make worse, not better for me.
Old 07-18-2019, 02:31 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
ours de petit cerveau

thanks Mags
Old 07-18-2019, 04:02 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Sober-T- Dragon

Thanks Mags,

At this early morning moment, I can't for the life of me recall why I needed a drink. I knew it was hurting me but I kept going back. Insanity. I finally managed to stop and it was because I felt so horrible inside. I think I knew it would have to a permanent quit, but I denied that thought for some months. I do remember the feeling, the internal change, when I posted on SR that I would never drink again. Freeing it was.
Old 07-18-2019, 04:03 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Sober-T- Dragon

Good luck with the job hunt Manta!
Old 07-18-2019, 04:04 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Mr

Thanks Mags.
I'm in too.

Good topic again.
I getted pinged alot

"Have you had the ‘ping’ yet? When you realise ‘Nope, Nah, Nada, Never!

And more importantly ‘how do we get there and how do we stay there?"

Good will alone didn't cut it for me. I had to try alot of techniques and sometimes medications. Personally it's a psychic flaw. Something underlying was so wedged in it came back every few months. Fortunately today I'm not drinking. It takes work to find what works.

But the only way is committing to not drinking this weekend. With continued abstinence the work it takes to find what works gets easier.
Uummmm
Better stop...
Old 07-18-2019, 04:05 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Count me in, going into my third weekend here and I’m loving it! Hopefully I can make this optimism last throughout the next few days!
I’m planning on the usual easy stuff... some work around the house, a meeting, a few park & playground visits with my kid, and some quiet time for myself, hitting up the trails for a run.
What’s everyone else got on the books for this weekend?
Old 07-18-2019, 04:07 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Mr

Hi there sapph...
Old 07-18-2019, 04:15 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Sober-T- Dragon

Right Vman, we need find what works. I managed by will and pink cloud for the first six months but I did need to find something to focus my engeries on. Hence, Ukulele.
Old 07-18-2019, 04:46 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Great topic! This is my first weekend out of rehab. I've figured out that I'm fairly autonomous here in the sober living house so I have some plans today to see if I can get to a meeting.
Old 07-18-2019, 04:47 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Count me in for the weekend
Hi everyone
Thanks Mags
Glad Alfie and Max are getting along Manta
Nearly 10pm here and I’m falling asleep, so I’m off to bed, see you all later.
Old 07-18-2019, 04:58 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

I am going to try to go to a meeting this evening if I can get there on time. I need it, really.
Old 07-18-2019, 04:58 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Great post. The old hair of the dog trick was the worst thing I ever learned. It brought me to my worst.
Old 07-18-2019, 05:35 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Morning people. Good topic. When things get to the point where I feel like I “need” a drink, I go for a walk.

By the way, please wish me strength over the weekend and next week. Im facing a minefield of triggers.

To summarize: My stepdad passed away, I’m the executor or his will, there are tons of questions about his properties, missing paperwork, my mom’s health is declining, lots of confusion about her insurance coverage so we can get her the care she needs, drama, my sister keeps calling to remind me how awful everything is and also she can’t do anything to help so good luck, random stuff I’m being asked to do, and high emotions coming from all directions.

I think it would all be easier if everyone would calm down; I can’t think straight when people are being emotional. That’s my biggest trigger of all: other people’s emotions. I have a hard time regulating my empathy, so I just end up feeling whatever it is that they feel; I’lll find myself all upset and wanting to drink.

On a positive note, this is taking place in a beachy resort town, so I’m bringing the family so we can try to squeeze in some vacation-like activities.

It’ll be fine. Thank god Mr Bonnie is so calm; he keeps reminding me that everything is going to be fine, and there’s only so much I can do.

So far my plan is to spend every evening with my family on the beach. No matter what happens, I will set aside that time. I think that would be a nice way to clear my head. I’ll be splashing around in the waves instead of having a drink.

Anyway, I hope you’re all doing well; I’ll check in later.
Old 07-18-2019, 05:40 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  

In!!

Thanks Mags.

Bonnie, best of luck to you. Just make sure you have a concrete plan and you can get through this. I understand what you mean about emotional people; I am similar. It just stresses me out and makes me more upset than I need to be.

I have full confidence in you. Lean on your family and on us here as well. You got this.
Old 07-18-2019, 05:47 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  

..or when it's so good that a drink will take it to the next level.

Really?

I had made alcohol my god. It made everything better. Till it didn't. Well, it did for an hour but then the next four hours were spent trying to keep that going and the whole next morning was misery. Sometimes the whole next day. All that did is make me sicker and sicker. It's a terribad cycle. SO GLAD to be on the sober side.

There is nothing a drink can make better. Nothing a drink can fix. I can sort out my own thoughts and emotions just fine, thank you very much.

Today is the day they fix the big error on my deck. Heh. They had to demolish and re-do four of them. I was the complainer, but ya know what? I'm at peace with all of it. I had to talk to the foreman, the construction concierge, my homeowners association President, the architect - but it's getting done. It's a relief. It was a lot to get it done, and took weeks of discussions. I stayed calm, no threats or raised voices on my part. I sent very polite and to-the-point emails and photos. It's good to be able to remain calm through things like this. In the past I would be way too personally offended and I likely wouldn't have stayed with it calmly throughout, especially when the young foreman lost his temper. Sobriety=1, Resentment/Anger=0.

Manta, I hope you find a job that's less personality and more principal. I quit a job like that in early sobriety too. I only lasted a week! I couldn't take the poor morale. I think it's company culture and comes from the top. Well done on the self care. Yay for kitty cuddles.

With owls.

*ets: yikes, that was a longer post than I thought. All about me Thursday.
Old 07-18-2019, 07:30 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  
Magsie

Bim , your words are so true.
There is nothing a drink can make better. Nothing a drink can fix. I can sort out my own thoughts and emotions just fine, thank you very much.

Drink never fixed anything for me just made it worse. And sober it’s easier to cope with what life throws at us.