Notices

Dealing with Anxiety

Old 07-17-2019, 04:58 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Dealing with Anxiety

Today has been a hard day for me to deal with my anxiety for some reason and it's so bad I started feeling sick. I am not sure if it's because my sleep schedule is now off with the new baby or because my 2 year anniversary is coming up but all the things that would normally help me deal with the anxiety, has not worked at all for me today

So I am wondering what works for all of you ? I am willing to try anything at this point.
Old 07-17-2019, 05:17 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I'm sorry you're experiencing so much anxiety.
For me, it's better living through chemistry. Which means I take medication for anxiety.
Anxiety, which I didn't really realize at the time, was at the core of why I drank so much for long. I have generalized anxiety disorder. I see a psychiatrist for this.
It's been ten and a half years since I've had a drink, so I know the alcoholic hangovers weren't the only thing causing my anxiety. Thing was, as I think some of us here know, alcohol masked the anxiety while I was actively drinking. It did a good job of it, too. Until I became addicted to the alcohol and suffered the nightmarish hangovers.

Have you thought of seeing a psychiatrist, or even talking to your G.P., about your anxiety?
Maybe they can help.
I wish you the best and hope your anxiety clears up straight away. I know what it's like to suffer through.
Best to you.
Old 07-17-2019, 07:03 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I was just going to post something about anxiety..its a lifelong thing for me and after drinking its so much worse....

But I am going to ask if anyone has tried phenibut.....and NOT abused it..and not taken in large amounts...All night i have been reading about this...Iam not a drug seeker...I just need my anxiety to stop...

So I know how you feel...is what i am saying...and I do have a benzo prescription which I can not take if I get the Phenibut....but the benzo I've been on for 14 years without an increase in dose.....so I think it doesn't work as well.

It WORKS...but I am having a very hard time sleeping.
23 days sober.
Old 07-18-2019, 08:53 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Perhaps you are both right and medication would be a good option for me. I'll have to make an appointment with my doctor!
Old 07-18-2019, 08:59 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by ChangingODAAT View Post
Perhaps you are both right and medication would be a good option for me. I'll have to make an appointment with my doctor!
Thing is...if your Dr knows you recently drank alcohol...she will either want a leveling out period for your brain to get back to "normal" and maybe your anxiety will dissipate...or she will refuse to give you anything that is truly helpful for anxiety like a benzo because she knows you are prone to an alcohol problem and could die mixing the 2.

Or you have a Dr that trusts you....I just wish I never was honest with my Doctors it has done nothing but hinder good care for my anxiety issues.
Old 07-18-2019, 09:13 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
12-Step Recovered Alkie

Originally Posted by ChangingODAAT View Post

So I am wondering what works for all of you ? I am willing to try anything at this point.
I did meds for about a year and weekly therapy for about 2 years. The meds just dulled everything out for me, good and bad, and I wasn't comfortable with that being my lifestyle going forward. Therapy helped me SEE a lot of stuff I'd been blind to but was less helpful in actually dealing with stuff or moving past it. So far, the best solution I've found in 12 years has been working the 12 steps in AA. That has been the most effective solution I've found so far.