I did it.... I rang...

Old 11-23-2004, 07:26 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

I did it.... I rang...

the Al-Anon helpline.
I have been thinking about it for a while now. I am going to a meeting tonight - I am ready. I have asked my sister to come with me for support - I am scared and nervous, don't know why....but there you go.
What goes on at the meeting?? Do you have to share or can you just sit and listen? I am in Ireland and I am sure the meetings are the same the whole workd over.....any avise would be nice - thanks
Old 11-23-2004, 07:57 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Buster...good luck. I am living in England. Trying to get up nerve to go to a meeting here. Let us know what all they do.
Old 11-23-2004, 08:14 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Buster and bjmt

I am in England and have been going to al-anon for a couple of months.

My meetings are a lifesaver and that is no exaggeration. I love reading on these boards, but actually meeting people with the same problems as you is amazing.

I picked up a few tips from here before I went to my first meeting. Arrive 20 minutes early. There will only be a few people there and you can help put the chairs out whilst you introduce yourself and have a bit of a chat. Less intimidating than when the meeting's about to start.

My meeting starts with an introduction by whoever is chairing that week (it goes by rotation). Then she (usually a she, but sometimes we get guys there too) will say who she is and how her week has gone or how she's feeling. This goes around the circle - if you are a newcomer, you can just say your first name and that you're a newcomer and that you're glad to be there. Then we read the steps and the traditions, in turn. Then we speak about any admin type stuff whilst the money pot goes around. If it's your first meeting, you won't be expected to contribute.

Then one person does a "share" on a topic from the calender that we arrange on a quarterly basis. I did my first main share last night on "serenity". Once the main speaker has finished, anyone else can share if they want to. There can be some big gaps between shares, but that is only because people are thinking about what's been said ot what they want to say. Don't worry about it. If you haven't spoken, you will be given the opportunity to speak at the end, but you really don't have to. Then we usually have a chat at the end and swap phone numbers etc etc.

There is nothing to be scared of - the groups are there for us to learn and share our experiences. I hear al least one thing every week that I relate to and lots more that I learn from.

Let us know how it goes

Love

Minnie
xxxx
Old 11-23-2004, 08:38 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I forgot - well done, buster!!
Old 11-23-2004, 08:45 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

WOnderful for you!!! I know how hard it is to make the decision to get help(especially if you are like me and didn't thinkyou needed any!). I love meetings and I think you will too. It is so healing when people share about their struggles and you find that you are not the only one. I have been going for three years and it has made the world of difference. Good Luck!