Notices

Medical Help

Old 07-15-2019, 01:52 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Medical Help

Morning All

Tomorrow i’m going to the docs, mainly to try to get my antidepressants changed, because i don’t think they’re working.

But can the doctor give me anything the urges?

I’m living in Spain and moving back to the UK next month, so therapy etc i’ll look into when i get back to the UK
Old 07-15-2019, 02:02 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi Al

I don't know anything about Spain or what meds they issue for alcoholism or what the prevailing method of craving control is there - but it wouldn't hurt to ask?

D
Old 07-15-2019, 05:57 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Hi your Dr. will probably tell you that your antidepressents are not working because when we drink alcohol it messes up our whole nervous system..you can not know if they are truly working until you are taking them for at least 2 weeks without any alcohol.....I believe you are on Day 3......

I don't know if you have heard of Campral....or if they have it in Spain..but it is widely used here to prevent cravings and it really works...the problem with Campral I found is you have to take like 6 pills a day....I didn't like that.

But the positive with Campral is that if you slip and drink on it...you won't get deathly ill...like you would on Antabuse..

Whatever you do..don't let them prescribe you Antabuse....because that stays in your system and if you drink you will become violently ill and end in hospital....that happened to me before.
Old 07-15-2019, 12:22 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Misssy2 View Post

Whatever you do..don't let them prescribe you Antabuse....because that stays in your system and if you drink you will become violently ill and end in hospital....that happened to me before.
I believe it's supposed to be a hard stick to stop addiction, but it sounds unnecessarily hard to me.

You can get cognitive behavioral therapy in the uk, which is supposed to be very good. You have to be vocal though, research first, most GPs in the Uk are terrible and want you out the door as soon as possible.