questions about alanon aa and how other drugs affect an A

Old 11-23-2004, 06:54 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

questions about alanon aa and how other drugs affect an A

my brother is still struggling with his drinking - I told him maybe we could go to an alanon meeting together to help both of us with our coping skills and to understand the problem better, etc. (our father is also an A) - is it wise/allowed for us to go together to a meeting - how about an AA meeting - could I go with him?

He is also taking Paxil (sp) - I think it is recommends the person not drink - but obviously he is at times - does anyone know its effects with regard to drinking? - I've noticed he is totally out of it a lot quicker when he's drinking now that he's taking the drug, so I'm pretty sure it enhances the effects of alcohol, but didn't know if anyone knew of additional effect...
Old 11-23-2004, 07:37 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

This site doesn't look neutral to me (real anti-Paxil) but it does talk about your question.
http://www.join-the-fun.com/paxil-and-alcohol.html

Does your brother's doctor know of his drinking problem? He/She would be the best one to address the issue. I'd be careful about telling your brother that drinking while taking it is a problem yourself because he may just stop taking the Paxil. That's one of those drugs that you're not supposed to suddenly stop taking --could put him into deep depression.

My AH has ADD. Drinking was his self medication. When he gave it up for awhile a few years ago he went to the dr. and got a prescription for Ritalin. He never told the doc that he had a drinking problem. He start drinking hard again while on the Ritalin. He became very clinically depressed. He blamed it on the Ritalin exclusively (still didn't tell doc about drinking) and then went on an anti-depressant for about six months. He's now on Stratera and ramping up on booze. Not good.
Old 11-23-2004, 09:00 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Searching and tripping

Hi Bro,

Hi and welcome to SR.

In the past, I wondered myself about attending AA meetings and my A's attend alanon. I learned from my meetings that in the beginning, the meetings for the alcoholic should be AA and the meetings for myself should be alanon. One of the reasons for this is that the person may not open up while family is there. Sort of being scared of exposing themselves.

There are several types of meetings and if you should decide to go, make sure it's not a closed meeting because only alcoholics are permitted to attend.

Some of the people who attend my alanon meeting bring their recovering A's. And tomorrow, I'm taking my recovering son to my alanon meeting. Besides needing AA, he also needs ACOA because of his dad.

You could call an AA near you and ask them the question about the two of you attending the meeting together.

Hugs, Kathy