Go Back  SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information > New to Addiction and Recovery? > Newcomers to Recovery
Reload this Page >

Started drinking out of boredom and now I'm addicted. Next step?

Notices

Old 07-13-2019, 04:30 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

I'm thinking about forcing myself to do one thing per day. i.e see a movie, exercise. etc... even if it doesn't sound appealing at the time. Pretty much bored of everything, but I'm tired of drinking and then feeling guilty and sick the next morning. Any suggestions would be welcome. Thanks
Old 07-13-2019, 05:00 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

welcome cubsfan

you posted in our 'news' forum so I moved you post here for more response

Keeping busy is a big part of staying sober for sure.

I think it's also important though to have a strong support base for those days when doing stuff by itself simply doesn't work as well?

You'll find a lot of support and good ideas here. Yell out for help when you need it
Old 07-13-2019, 05:11 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

My mistake. Thanks for moving it. I really don't have a support system. I mean, my parents, but no friends in a long time. I'm a loner.
Old 07-13-2019, 05:17 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

welcome to SR! staying busy, eating healthy and finding a new hobby are all good ideas early in recovery.
Old 07-13-2019, 05:34 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

I hope our support and ideas can help you get sober for good. I've been sober almost 10 yrs and have never once woken up and wished I had drank the night before. On the contrary, I wake up feeling good and ready for the day. When I was drinking, I woke up feeling horrible and hating myself and wishing I were dead.

Post often. Join the class of July along with others who are quitting drinking/drugging this month. It helps to have extra support and people who understand how hard this is.

https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums...-part-1-a.html
Old 07-13-2019, 05:56 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I don't have a support system either...I just think a person really has to be sick and tired of drinking to finally put it down for good...I have been bored in my sobriety in the last 19 days...but I have a healthy fear of alcohol now....and I am grateful for that.

I am sorry that your mind and body are not cooperating with what your heart and soul want which is to quit.....

Yes, you do have to be busy in early sobriety....I just keep moving right now till bed time..but as I said I really think my body, mind and soul are done with alcohol..it had made me so sick the last time I am frightened of it and grateful for that.

I pray for anyone who is not "sick of being sick" yet....to get "sick of being sick"..
Old 07-14-2019, 06:44 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

That last post was on point. Anyways welcome You come to the right place. Stick around here and get inspired . alot of goodies to read and learn. We all been there . You are not alone . yes use us as a crutch if need be. That is two fold cause it gives folks hope to read that there is a way out. Real talk.... ✌
Old 07-14-2019, 06:48 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

A strict routine worked for me. After a while the new habits become bearable and then even enjoyable. Force yourself if you have to. It is better being bored doing something than being bored doing nothing.
Old 07-14-2019, 06:53 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Yes, post here a lot.
I too am a loner in many ways and none of my friends and family have any idea of my struggle with alcohol.
It’s been over a month for me and I found that making a structured plan for activities every day for the first couple weeks really helped me change my habits/patterns.
That no-mans land between work and bedtime was always trouble for me so the structure really helped.
We are here for you.
Old 07-14-2019, 06:55 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Blue Belt

I learned here the addiction lies deep in my central nervous system. Booze alters dopamine production. We want booze to feel good. The addiction takes many emotional forms, boredom, anger, happy, lonely etc.

Analysis is all I have to defeat it. It takes years to Normalize and that is why uneducated folks can't quit.

The whole time I heal the addiction wears on me. I call it suffering. I call it growing up.

I call being this clean now pure freedom. Liberation. Something I never really knew. Sr saved my life.

Thanks.
Old 07-14-2019, 06:55 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Administrator

You can post here as often as you like, and this can be a support system for you.

It's a good idea to plan to do something every day. In fact, the more you plan ahead, the better your recovery will go.
Old 07-14-2019, 06:09 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Cubby, Missy2 and SoberRican-

I urge each of you to consider selecting and pursuing a program of recovery and not trying to devise one on your own.

There are a lot of good activities and disciplines (e.g. diet control and exercise) which are consistent with taking care of ourselves generally and, hence, with recovery from addiction.

But none of them constitute a program of recovery.

I selected one (actually the treatment center selected it for me) and have ridden it for a long time with continued sobriety throughout.

In contrast, everytime I tried to quit on my own, it ended in abject failure (i.e. continued chronic alcoholism).

Glad you're here and sharing your experiences.
Old 07-14-2019, 06:17 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Administrator

I don't have a support system either...
what are we, choppedliver?

D
Old 07-14-2019, 06:33 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by SoberCAH View Post
Cubby, Missy2 and SoberRican-

I urge each of you to consider selecting and pursuing a program of recovery and not trying to devise one on your own.

There are a lot of good activities and disciplines (e.g. diet control and exercise) which are consistent with taking care of ourselves generally and, hence, with recovery from addiction.

But none of them constitute a program of recovery.

I selected one (actually the treatment center selected it for me) and have ridden it for a long time with continued sobriety throughout.

In contrast, everytime I tried to quit on my own, it ended in abject failure (i.e. continued chronic alcoholism).

Glad you're here and sharing your experiences.
I appreciate your concern...and realize you are trying to help..

Please don't assume I am devising a plan of recovery for myself...or that I don't have a program of recovery.

Just because my communication style is not to talk about my "program" does not mean I do not have one.

Thx.