What is that smell?

Old 07-13-2019, 02:39 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Unhappy What is that smell?

We don't sleep together but we do sleep in the same room. Last night, I couldn't sleep because of this weird smell that filled the room after he passed out. It was a smell I remember from when he was deep in his addiction a few years back. We lived where the nighttime temps got really low but I would sleep with a window open and a fan on...It has taken all day to clear this smell out. All day, some febreeze, making a pot of coffee, lighting candles and mopping with Pinesol.
Does anyone else know this putrid smell? His drink of choice is always vodka. Chugging a bottle between the liquor store and home. (about 2 minutes)
Old 07-13-2019, 02:44 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

oddsunflower…….try googling "Fetor Hepaticus".....
Old 07-13-2019, 02:59 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by dandylion View Post
oddsunflower…….try googling "Fetor Hepaticus".....
Wow! That is exactly it! Thank you!
Old 07-13-2019, 03:22 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

the body in general is going to excrete a lot of over-alcohol consumption thru the pores and the breath. that's likely to be more of sweet-funky smell that does tend to linger, especially in a bedroom since it's usually a smaller space where the person is in situ for a number of hours, expelling.

more serious conditions are likely to have a smell that tells you "something is NOT right here". not like stinky, haven't seen soap in a week, but more like that ammonia aroma of chicken that has gone bad.

the condition dandy mentions is often called the smell of death. it's pretty awful and indicates a very serious condition. i mean they are all serious, but in degrees. organs are no longer functioning properly - they are incapable of eliminating toxins and have (likely) moved to a disease state.
Old 07-13-2019, 04:21 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

[QUOTE=AnvilheadII;7226324]the body in general is going to excrete a lot of over-alcohol consumption thru the pores and the breath. that's likely to be more of sweet-funky smell that does tend to linger, especially in a bedroom since it's usually a smaller space where the person is in situ for a number of hours, expelling.

more serious conditions are likely to have a smell that tells you "something is NOT right here". not like stinky, haven't seen soap in a week, but more like that ammonia aroma of chicken that has gone bad.

​​​​​​This smell is very bad. It is not the usual sweaty alcoholic smell. I dare say I am used to that one... This is not okay and I wish he would see a doctor. The information I looked up also suggested the possibility of ascites. This makes sense to because he has several abdominal hernias that are getting worse as well.
Old 07-14-2019, 09:36 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I know that smell as well. It’s pretty awful.

When my guy had it, the smell was a good indication of how well the hepatic encephalopathy was being controlled. Poorly controlled=terrible behavior=awful smell. Of course all of this was once he stopped drinking and was on the meds to help with the hepatic encephalopathy.

Those meds are a whole story in themselves.

Im sorry for what you are experiencing.
Old 07-14-2019, 10:48 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

One of the most under mentioned issues with alcoholics is the smell. That smell.

AnvilheadII's description is very good.

Here the A uses a lot of scented grooming and laundry products. Mix that with the alcohol coming out of their poors it stinks. It's seems to age other scents with in hours. So less than 12 hours after a shower they smell like 3 day old cologne. Throw in general messy like unwashed clothes or linens it will definitely stink. He's gone through periods complaining people at the gym are complaining about his odor but of course it's the washing machine's fault.

I've also smelled the dead animal smell along with stale herbs or spices of somekind. He's long past things like changing linens. I think one reason he likes to shower and wash clothes immediately before going somewhere is to cover up his bo. In the meantime family and close friends have to endure their bo if he's not going to a bar, gym or business meeting.

I also heard that certain odors indicate organ failure of somekind. I've smelled the sweet breath too but that's nothing compare to the body odor. Throw certain foods the smells are worse. And in higher temperatures the smells are worse.

But that smell.
Old 07-15-2019, 05:56 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Thequest! You are so right! My AH refuses to shower for days. He uses Axe or Old Spice and thinks he is fresh! I am a tidy person so I know it is not my house that smells but even yesterday I took to bleaching everything...walls, counters, floors... It was so nice. Then AH gets home from work and this morning it is suffocating. It smells like if you put dirty dishes in a sink of soapy water and left them there for a week mixed with old onions and raw chicken that maybe slid under the seat in the car and disappeared for a couple days.
​days. I am so thankful for this group. There is something comforting about knowing you are not crazy and not alone in this fight.