Driving

Old 07-13-2019, 08:05 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Driving

anyone know if I can request the court to limit his license and driving abilities until the divorce is final? He drives drunk ALL the time.
Old 07-13-2019, 08:11 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

doubt it. unless he is stopped while driving under the influence, no court is likely to place a restriction just cuz you say so.

if you know he is drunk when he gets in the car, you can call the police and report a suspected drunk driver. which may or may not amount to anything.

https://www.safewise.com/faq/auto-sa...-drunk-driver/
Old 07-13-2019, 08:18 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Thought so. I always call when he drives off, nothing happens
Old 07-13-2019, 08:23 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

If you have the license plate number, just call the police and tell them he's under the influence. If you know where he's going, even better. (GPS Tracker for the win! - - *IF* it's legal where you live) I used to take AH's keys when I knew he was too drunk to drive, but sometimes that would result in an altercation. I wrestled with the idea of letting him do him without interfering vs. potentially saving a life or multiple lives by keeping him off the road.
Old 07-13-2019, 08:47 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Look he keep playing with fire. He gonna get burned. Not a matter of if but when.....
Old 07-13-2019, 01:14 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Dazed...apart from the public safety issue, why is this your responsibility? Even if you got a court order, would it stop the destructive behaviours showing themselves as something else you need to monitor - walking along balcony railings, busy highways or train tracks? Nup.
Its hard to just sit back and watch.
This journey we are on just sucks. Its hard and I hate it.
You can't control him and you can't fix it.
What are you doing to focus and look after you as your divorce approaches?
Old 07-13-2019, 01:17 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Wombaticus View Post
Dazed...apart from the public safety issue, why is this your responsibility? Even if you got a court order, would it stop the destructive behaviours showing themselves as something else you need to monitor - walking along balcony railings, busy highways or train tracks? Nup.
Its hard to just sit back and watch.
This journey we are on just sucks. Its hard and I hate it.
You can't control him and you can't fix it.
What are you doing to focus and look after you as your divorce approaches?
staying busy, writing, painting, crying, sleeping, leaving as often as I can. I hate it too....
Old 07-13-2019, 01:26 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

I’m also trying to protect my house and assets. If he is drunk driving and hurts something or worse, until we are divorced, I’m in it too....
Old 07-13-2019, 01:38 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

I do believe it is your responsibility to take his keys if he is drunk, that's just my personal opinion, of course.

Now, doesn't mean snatch them out of his hand when he gets in the car but he needs to turn them over when he starts drinking.

I would let him know, no more drunk driving until we are divorced, I don't want the liability for it. If he will not agree I would ask him to move out now. Not next month or next week, today or tomorrow. Can you file for a legal separation while your divorce is progressing?

Call it a rule, call it a boundary, your financial future is on the line here (nevermind any poor innocent person he might hurt).
Old 07-13-2019, 01:45 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by trailmix View Post
I do believe it is your responsibility to take his keys if he is drunk, that's just my personal opinion, of course.

Now, doesn't mean snatch them out of his hand when he gets in the car but he needs to turn them over when he starts drinking.

I would let him know, no more drunk driving until we are divorced, I don't want the liability for it. If he will not agree I would ask him to move out now. Not next month or next week, today or tomorrow. Can you file for a legal separation while your divorce is progressing?

Call it a rule, call it a boundary, your financial future is on the line here (nevermind any poor innocent person he might hurt).
lawyer says once papers are filed and served we are legally separated. At this rate, he has lost keys, and others are elsewhere. He is so drunk keys are not on his mind right now. He walks to the liquor store.
Old 07-13-2019, 01:59 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

I’m protecting myself.