A Star is Born

Old 07-11-2019, 08:51 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

A Star is Born

Has anyone on here seen a Star is Born? I may be late posting to this.

But does anyone find their relationship in the movie concerning?

Do you think the movie sheds light on addiction?
Old 07-11-2019, 08:59 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I actually wasn't going to watch it. I know the story, I saw the previous version. It came on TV so I did watch it.

I don't think it sheds a great deal of light on addiction, but if I knew absolutely nothing about it I might see it differently. I didn't find their relationship particularly concerning. I mean she is the long suffering wife of an alcoholic, but that is an everyday thing.

It just seemed like a dramatic story to me.
Old 07-11-2019, 09:01 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Yeah. I mean I watched it when I was with my exabf I saw some of the patterns back then.

I also wasn't as informed as I was back then as I am watching it now. I just was curious what everyone on here thought about it.
Old 07-11-2019, 11:20 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Which one? Barbra or Gaga? Loved them both, in terms of entertainment and some symbolism. Film rarely portrays addiction correctly... 100%. But in regards to the newest film version.. Gaga was excellent. It does portray some deeper aspects.

And the soundtrack is actually incredible... so beyond beautiful. The music helped me heal during my breakup with my ex. I still cry if I listen to it.

If you are thinking too deeply about it... you wouldn’t watch any film... it’s (emotional) entertainment.
Old 07-12-2019, 07:19 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

This was definitely a movie on addiction.

Jackson was an alcoholic who never dealt with the emotional issues he had with his father that propelled his drinking. He escaped his feelings with the quick fix and mood changer of alcohol. His abject shame caused him to kill himself. It's my personal belief that he bought the myth that alcoholism is a disease over which he had no control or responsibility.
Old 07-12-2019, 07:31 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I saw it in theaters (new one). People kept telling me it was a great love story. I was sitting there thinking you have got to be kidding me, this is so codependent, unhealthy how can anyone think this is a love story. It absolutely portrays addiction well, could have gone even further IMO, painful to watch for me.
Old 07-12-2019, 08:58 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Terrific love story despite addiction.
Old 07-12-2019, 12:04 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Ugh. I hated it. I felt dead inside after.

Yes, it does shed light on addiction - the tragic part. In my opinion, he never really committed to getting sober. His trip to rehab was half-a****. The ending is tragically predictable. The effect his life and choices had on her were also tragically predictable.

My husband and I really had nothing to say to each other about it after - it was just. Awful. Not even strong enough of a word. For me, their talent and performance together was beside the real story.

If you want to see something where the message that alcoholism and addiction kill, in case you don't already know that, it's one to see. That message was burned in my brain long ago and this is just....not any kind of positive for me.
Old 07-12-2019, 04:19 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

I also found this movie to be quite triggering for me after just getting out of my relationship with my ex.

My ex was no where near the level of Jackson but it was he was well on his way.

I just feel like the movie could of somehow shed some light for people struggling with loved ones who have an addiction. It could have shown Ally's side more.
Old 07-12-2019, 04:20 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by dawnrising View Post
I saw it in theaters (new one). People kept telling me it was a great love story. I was sitting there thinking you have got to be kidding me, this is so codependent, unhealthy how can anyone think this is a love story. It absolutely portrays addiction well, could have gone even further IMO, painful to watch for me.
I totally agree. I felt quite emotional after watching considering my recent breakup.
Old 07-12-2019, 04:22 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by LifeChangeNYC View Post
Which one? Barbra or Gaga? Loved them both, in terms of entertainment and some symbolism. Film rarely portrays addiction correctly... 100%. But in regards to the newest film version.. Gaga was excellent. It does portray some deeper aspects.

And the soundtrack is actually incredible... so beyond beautiful. The music helped me heal during my breakup with my ex. I still cry if I listen to it.

If you are thinking too deeply about it... you wouldn’t watch any film... it’s (emotional) entertainment.
I too loved the soundtrack and the movie initially. Howvever after going through my most recent breakup I found it triggering.

I know it's just a movie but I think it missed a lot of oppurtunities to educate.

I was more curious if anyone on here had the same reaction to it is all.
Old 07-12-2019, 07:03 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

I knew what it was about and was already 6 months post breakup when I saw it.

It certainly wasn’t a compelling love story but it was a good story and I felt like it was a morbidly positive experience to watch a story like this that had An Ending. And it was super compelling and the acting and sound track were great.

I’m sure while you are still in a relationship w an alcoholic it would be like watching a sex scene in the same room as your dad but with some distance I enjoyed it.
Old 07-12-2019, 07:06 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Leochic: yes it does also trigger me... still. I watched/listened to it right in the worst time of my past relationship. My ex was having major seizures and black outs. But any film on addiction triggers me. However the music hits me right in the heart. My ex & I both loved Gaga as well.

For those who don’t know... it’s obviously based somewhat on the original script. They modernized it but didn’t steer too far.

“Who’s Afraid of Virginia Woolf” was on the other night... & I could only watch this first 45 minutes... now Elizabeth Taylor’s character.., now that was my ex & our arguments!

Old 07-12-2019, 07:47 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

I ended up watching it on tv recently too. Had no idea that it was originally made in 1937, and remade in 1954, 1976, and then this one. But now I’m curious to see previous versions to see how they differ generationally.

At first I wasn’t planning on watching it because I wasn’t sure if I’d like the actors. Silver Linings Playbook was such a good book, and I remember not liking the movie at all (you know how sometimes movies don’t match how you viewed a book and it kind of ruins it for you), and was turned off to Bradley Cooper after that. Also, I grew up with Madonna, and remember how bad and cringe worthy her transition to acting was, and felt that way all over again about Lady Gaga when I saw her on American Horror Story.

However, it ended up being better for me than I thought it would be. I tend to like realistic portrayals of the human condition and suffering, involving addiction or not, and not so much feel- good Hollywood scripts with happy endings (like Requiem For Dream, or Krisha, for example, were 2 that a I liked).

I thought Lady Gaga did okay, but I really liked Bradley Cooper. I’ve known sooo many people like this in my life so far. Friends from school, family members, etc, who I was close to at one point or another. Who slipped into addiction, didn’t find recovery (or didn’t take to it if they did dabble in recovery), where the addictions and the demons won, and they just didn’t make it. That’s just how it goes sometimes. I thought he did a great job showing how sometimes people just get sucked down the drain and don’t make their way back, and loved ones left behind then just have to deal with it best they could. :/