Notices

How best to deal with initial anxiety?

Old 07-08-2019, 09:49 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

How best to deal with initial anxiety?

The initial anxiety I'm talking about is the one we all may know:

Why did X happen, what happened here.... etc.?

I'm on day 1 again, and while the physical pain is not unbearable as it was not that long of a run

The mental thoughts, etc. are the worst

I have thought about 'weening' to calm this down, but I know thats not the right decision.
Old 07-08-2019, 09:52 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Well, every time you quit and then drink again that's going to happen and it gets progressively worse.

That spinny brain goes away but only with continuous long-term sober TIME.
Old 07-08-2019, 10:05 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

If you drink to relieve the anxiety, you are just prolonging it. Best to just push thru it as it will get better with more sober time.
Old 07-08-2019, 10:09 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Easier said than done, but from experience I'd write yourself off for at least a week or two. In withdrawa youl are mentally il, everything is out of proporation, and often ridiculous. Don't listen to you're mental thought till you're out of it. Watch tv series, exercise.
Old 07-08-2019, 10:11 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Like it was said you got to go thru the motions. Get that funk out of your head. Boozing is not going to help it .its going to intensify it. Take it one day at a time.
Old 07-08-2019, 10:48 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Administrator

It takes patience to get through the early days. Anxiety is usually part of the process, but hopefully it won't last too long. My suggestion is to try to keep busy and exercise is always good, too.
Old 07-08-2019, 11:37 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Just hang on tight and go for the ride. Then at the bottom of that hill step off the ride and dont get back in line.
Old 07-08-2019, 12:34 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

don't do anything stupid.
your head is going to tell you all kinds of crazy things - learn to "observe" the chatter, but not engage in conversations with it.
your body is gonna feel wretched - so sleep, eat, sleep. lots of water. i wouldn't start grabbing every home remedy or supplement out there, just sleep, rest, eat, water.
decide for yourself RIGHT NOW if you plan to keep doing this to yourself OR if this is going to be it.
then plan accordingly.
this is where you end up EVERY TIME you drink. maybe not in the first five minutes, or after the first drink is consumed, but at the end THIS is what you get. only it's going to keep feeling worse, and being rougher on your mind and body. never gets better. never. ever.
Old 07-08-2019, 01:09 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Whether you go through this very bad patch now or later, go through it you will. Best get it done.
Old 07-08-2019, 01:27 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Four days ago I woke up in hysterics. Sobbing with anxiety after my last drunken incident. Yesterday, day three I literally had thought of drinking to calm my anxiety after the gym. It takes time, a whole lotta precious time, to get rid of the anxiety. The minute you stop putting alcohol in your body your brain and body struggles to repair to a normal state. I slept a lot, ate healthy foods and made it to the gym starting on day 2. Day one I immediately made an appointment with a counselor. Day one I drank a lot of water and put cold water on me to try to help my body, I also I ate two meals high in carbohydrates. I’ve been taking supplements, multivitamins with cranberry juice and tea to detox my body. I had to take half a Xanax. I can only say what got me from day 1 hysterical to day 4, still nervous but much less. Alcohol is poison and it’s recommended to detox under medical supervision because it is very dangerous. If possible contact your physician.
Old 07-08-2019, 02:23 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Thank you all - a huge help.

I’m conflicted with trying to get to a lot of work done as I fell behind and just resting and recovering.

Although feel guilty I’m not working today, I’ve decided to give myself a me day (a sober me day).
Old 07-08-2019, 04:09 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Administrator

The anxiety will get better if you let it. Stay as engaged and occupied as you can - whether work or play

D
Old 07-08-2019, 05:55 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

I'd say chill and relax. For me the anxiety was real bad the first 3-5 days. Now after a month its basically gone. I thought that a week ago also but it seems even better now. It just gradually gets better and before you know it, its gone. At least that was my experience so far after quitting for a month. Now I can actually think about my health and body without getting all paranoid, and anxious. Its crazy what that alcohol can do. Just stay quit.
Old 07-17-2019, 10:45 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by GreatInquiry7 View Post
Thank you all - a huge help.

I’m conflicted with trying to get to a lot of work done as I fell behind and just resting and recovering.

Although feel guilty I’m not working today, I’ve decided to give myself a me day (a sober me day).
If you do the right things, you will have a sober me day every day.

Please stay with it.
Old 07-17-2019, 04:05 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by SoberCAH View Post
If you do the right things, you will have a sober me day every day.

Please stay with it.
The original poster posted this 10 days ago...and it doesn't look like he has responded......Not good news...I think.
Old 07-19-2019, 12:11 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

There really is no easy answer. It does dissipate with time. But sometimes the hole left by alcohol needs a healthy substitute. Find a new hobby, get exercise, read, listen to music or audiobook.

In short, distract your self from yourself.
Old 07-19-2019, 12:53 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Id say for the first week maybe two if possible, just focus on sobriety maybe tell your boss at work about your problem if they would be understanding. I can get social anxiety especially in early sobriety, so just avoid those situations. Even going to the grocery store would give me anxiety. Cardio helps me a lot with the runners high. I made the mistake on my last detox day 3 to go to the DMV because I lost my wallet lol. It was packed of course, long lines sitting waiting. I kept it together somehow, but I started sweating like crazy waiting in my seat to be called. Then started worrying people were staring at me. I almost walked out. Good luck!
Old 07-19-2019, 01:21 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  
Administrator

Originally Posted by Misssy2 View Post
The original poster posted this 10 days ago...and it doesn't look like he has responded......Not good news...I think.
It's impossible to know really. Personally, I like to think people are doing ok rather than not doing ok?

Hope Great Inquiry checks in again.

Originally Posted by magnum102 View Post
Id say for the first week maybe two if possible, just focus on sobriety maybe tell your boss at work about your problem if they would be understanding. I can get social anxiety especially in early sobriety, so just avoid those situations. Even going to the grocery store would give me anxiety. Cardio helps me a lot with the runners high. I made the mistake on my last detox day 3 to go to the DMV because I lost my wallet lol. It was packed of course, long lines sitting waiting. I kept it together somehow, but I started sweating like crazy waiting in my seat to be called. Then started worrying people were staring at me. I almost walked out. Good luck!
I'd urge caution with telling your boss - once that cat is out of the bag it won't go back in.

D