Notices

Catch 22

Old 07-08-2019, 08:19 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Catch 22

Early sobriety (4 months) is a strange place to be. I am looking at doing some overseas travelling. Past travels always involved (obviously) drinking. Tasting different cultures cuisine, wine, beer, spirits. Drinking in old pubs, watching shows in clubs, boat trips with booze etc.

With my drinking completely out of hand travel became impossible and the attempts I made was a waste anyway as I often did not remember large portions of the trips/shows/theatre or whatever. Yet now I can not imagine going to foreign places and not experience their alcoholic beverages, social drinking culture and chilling out with booze.

Us alcoholics really managed to score a spectacular own goal. Damned if we do and damned if we don’t. And best of all or rather worst of all is that I put myself in this spot.

It’s time to take it on the chin and square up to responsibility.
Old 07-08-2019, 08:24 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Yep.
Old 07-08-2019, 08:32 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I was a little nervous in October last year. Three months into sobriety and heading to Japan where I usually LOVED to sample different types of local beers and sakes without the intent of getting drunk. I spent the three week trip sampling a lot of their delicious non alcoholic beverages instead and enjoyed the trip as much (if not more) than the ones where I was still drinking. Going to Japan definitely isn't like heading to Vegas or other destinations where drinking is the focus, but I was still nervous that I'd drink on the trip due to drinking on every other trip there and am happy I didn't.
Old 07-08-2019, 08:35 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

The best drink I've had abroad was in Ibiza, and it was coconut water straight from a fresh coconut. I still remember it years later.
Old 07-08-2019, 08:42 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by NerfThis View Post
Going to Japan definitely isn't like heading to Vegas or other destinations where drinking is the focus, but I was still nervous that I'd drink on the trip due to drinking on every other trip there and am happy I didn't.
Really? I thought japan had a massive drinking problem. I've heard there's a tradition to leave drunk people where they lie in the street, no arrests and no thieving.

Maybe that's not the whole culture, or it's isolated to just some parts?

I would love to go there one day and sample authentic sushi.
Old 07-08-2019, 08:46 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I have a 6 day cruise to Bermuda in September with mainly sea days (only 1 excursion). I am already conflicted about it. I am a total cruise bunny, always get the drink package and make oodles of friends hanging out in the smoking section & drinking unlimited cocktails. I've never had "an incident" drinking on a cruise... I think because it is such a happy vibe. However, I know that it will open a pandoras box.

My husband rarely drinks... but throws them back on cruises right along with me. I don't want to force him to be sober on my behalf... I don't want to have to be sober for it either . We quit smoking in November... so we were already worried about not smoking on the crusie - now what the heck are we going to do? HA.
Old 07-08-2019, 08:57 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by FreshStartOk View Post
Really? I thought japan had a massive drinking problem. I've heard there's a tradition to leave drunk people where they lie in the street, no arrests and no thieving.

Maybe that's not the whole culture, or it's isolated to just some parts?

There is a night time drinking culture and I've seen the odd salary men sat drunkenly outside the closed subway chatting with homeless people, but it's not as in your face as holiday destinations that are designed for drinking. The drinking problem isn't something that is rammed down your throat while you're there. I used to go out clubbing and bar hopping in Japan every trip, but I was sober last trip and the people aren't drinking in your face in a way that would endanger sobriety like other foreign destinations. You land somewhere like Vegas and the first thing you see is someone with a beer hat on throwing up.
Old 07-08-2019, 09:00 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by FreshStartOk View Post

Yeah honestly it's insanely good over there. The food in general is unreal.
Old 07-08-2019, 09:44 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Administrator

It means making a shift in your thinking and that's not easy. But, travelling does not have to be equated with drinking. I love history and I always love searching interesting old places when we travel and getting lost in the history.
Old 07-08-2019, 09:49 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

I haven't been on a major vacation since I got sober, but have gotten away on a few long weekends. I would drive up to the mountains or to the ocean and always had a blast. I was able to do SO MUCH MORE because I wasn't focused on drinking, and had a lot more energy. I am currently planning to cruise solo...something I have never done.
Old 07-08-2019, 10:16 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

I look forward to when I can go to my homeland again. And enjoy the sheer beauty of it. Clear headed. Just do it. .
Old 07-08-2019, 10:24 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Where is you're homeland?

I'm not a huge history fan, but I do like visiting standing stones in wales, all of which predate Roman times I think.
Old 07-08-2019, 10:52 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by WhoDeyPI View Post
I am currently planning to cruise solo...something I have never done.
I see you are out of NC! Not sure when you were planning but me and my husband are going on the Carnival Sunshine out of Charleston in September! Prices were very reasonable!! We love going out of that port, all the passengers are so friendly!
Old 07-08-2019, 12:22 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  
Giving up is NOT an option.

I was nervous for my first big trip in sobriety. I wasn't worried about the destination, because it was a women's recovery retreat in Bali. I was nervous about the AIRPORTS. I used to use being a nervous flier as a handy excuse to stay mildly drunk from about 10 minutes after getting to the airport until the end of the flight. Sometimes more than mildly drunk. Then on most trips, there was lots of drinking once I got there. Some trips I barely remember. What a waste. But I was fine on the trip to Bali. More than fine, it was so nice to be clear-headed at the airports, and on the VERY LONG journey, with layovers in LA and Sydney. I knew where I was the whole time, I knew where all my stuff was, I wasn't chatting with random strangers and letting my guard down. And bonus, I wasn't as nervous or cranky about flying, because sobriety has taught me how to go with the flow and not try to control things I can't, like lines at the airport, crying kids on planes, the plane staying in the air or not. I have since been on several trips, and have enjoyed all of them immensely, without alcohol. Even when I went to Belize earlier this year and there were people all around me doing the tropical drink on the beach thing. Not even tempted.
Old 07-08-2019, 01:46 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Puerto Rico
Old 07-08-2019, 01:54 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

We went on a cruise when I was barely a year sober. I was terrified to go on the cruise. It became one of the best trips I ever took. Once I got past the "I'm missing out" pity party on the first day of the cruise I had the best time. And I remembered the entire trip and I wasn't embarrassed and didn't have any blackout moments.

You can do it. You will love it. You've changed.
Old 07-08-2019, 02:12 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

I've never been on a cruise. They are all inclusive mostly aren't they? Which is a blessing and a curse. Unfortunately I almost got arrested the last all inclusive holiday I had in Turkey! Thank God they just gave a bit of a beating for misbehaving and didn't throw me in a Turkish jail.
Old 07-08-2019, 02:39 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Too early to take on that kind of thing, IMO.
Old 07-08-2019, 02:56 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Yes, I couldn’t imagine it. I did do a few small trips sober and really enjoyed them 100%. My recent trip to a horrible beach was just drinking, real waste of time and money. I was so sick the whole time. I think the only travel I will be able to do for a very long time will be like a yoga retreat detox, something 100% centered on health and physical activity. There are many get up early, sight seeing, physical trips. Maybe something worth googling ? I understand the problem with traveling sober.
Old 07-08-2019, 03:10 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Trouble is I can't think of a tourism country where they don't push booze in you're face to make a quick buck. Even muslim countries where alcohol is banned to the locals is readily available to foriegners.