Go Back  SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information > New to Addiction and Recovery? > Newcomers to Recovery
Reload this Page >

Newly Sober 48-year old married mom of two teenagers. Anyone out there like me?

Notices

Old 07-07-2019, 01:49 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Ismilealot

Looking to connect with anyone on a similar journey of getting and staying sober.😊
Old 07-07-2019, 02:13 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Hey, we’re almost twins! I’m 48, 6 months sober. I have three kids — eldest is 20, youngest is 9.

So how are you doing so far? I’m up and down but mostly doing much better these days than I was a few months ago.
Old 07-07-2019, 03:29 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Ismilealot

Originally Posted by Bonniefloyd View Post
Hey, we’re almost twins! I’m 48, 6 months sober. I have three kids — eldest is 20, youngest is 9.

So how are you doing so far? I’m up and down but mostly doing much better these days than I was a few months ago.
So nice to meet you, Bonnie! Congratulations on six months! That’s awesome! My kids are so much happier now, too to have their “whole mom” back.❤️
Old 07-07-2019, 09:34 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Blue Belt

Some folks say that the body changes around 50 and it handles the booze differently.

I have kids and a wife. I quit at 50.

I got addicted to booze as a little kid. I started having too many issues and decided to try and quit.

It was the hardest thing I have ever done. It is easier now because of time, SR based education, love (tough and regular), and online education.

Thanks.
Old 07-07-2019, 10:04 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Ismilealot View Post
Looking to connect with anyone on a similar journey of getting and staying sober.😊
We are the same age, I also have two teenagers, and one almost 12 year old. I’ve been sober for three and a half years, it is the best thing I’ve ever done for myself and my family.

Welcome to SR!
Old 07-07-2019, 11:09 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Almost the same age 😀 and six months sober. Yes, the family are way way happier.

I’m not saying I was a nasty guy as a drinker, but I have to say my wife would be very down if I took up drinking again. Stopping drinking is a matter of accepting you can’t drink again. Heavy drinkers tell me how much they enjoy alcohol and don’t want to quit. I enjoyed it too, but anyone who’s dependent has a big problem and has no alternative but to quit. Yes, it’s tough at first, but all ex-drinkers regret not quitting earlier. None regret giving up.

Good luck 😀
Old 07-08-2019, 05:05 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Welcome and definitely similar. Married mom of two (oldest is only eleven though). 44. Husband still drinks a ton but I don’t. I feel like I’m on much steadier footing. All the best to you!
Old 07-08-2019, 08:36 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Ismilealot

Originally Posted by D122y View Post
Some folks say that the body changes around 50 and it handles the booze differently.

I have kids and a wife. I quit at 50.

I got addicted to booze as a little kid. I started having too many issues and decided to try and quit.

It was the hardest thing I have ever done. It is easier now because of time, SR based education, love (tough and regular), and online education.

Thanks.
Hi D122y-
Glad to hear it gets easier with time. Thanks for your post.
Old 07-08-2019, 08:40 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Ismilealot

Originally Posted by Delilah1 View Post
We are the same age, I also have two teenagers, and one almost 12 year old. I’ve been sober for three and a half years, it is the best thing I’ve ever done for myself and my family.

Welcome to SR!
Hi Delilah!
Thanks for your post! Wow! 3 1/2 years! That’s wonderful! I agree that getting sober is great for the family. Just still struggling to find my own constant happiness 😊
Old 07-08-2019, 08:41 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Ismilealot

<div style="text-align:left;">
Originally Posted by Delilah1 View Post
We are the same age, I also have two teenagers, and one almost 12 year old. I’ve been sober for three and a half years, it is the best thing I’ve ever done for myself and my family.<br /><br />Welcome to SR!
<br />Hi Delilah!<br />Thanks for your post! Wow! 3 1/2 years! That’s wonderful! I agree that getting sober is great for the family. Just still struggling to find my own constant happiness 😊</div>
Old 07-08-2019, 08:54 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Ismilealot

Originally Posted by Hodd View Post
Almost the same age 😀 and six months sober. Yes, the family are way way happier.

I’m not saying I was a nasty guy as a drinker, but I have to say my wife would be very down if I took up drinking again. Stopping drinking is a matter of accepting you can’t drink again. Heavy drinkers tell me how much they enjoy alcohol and don’t want to quit. I enjoyed it too, but anyone who’s dependent has a big problem and has no alternative but to quit. Yes, it’s tough at first, but all ex-drinkers regret not quitting earlier. None regret giving up.

Good luck 😀
Thanks Hodd. I really liked your post. Especially “stopping drinking is a matter of accepting you can’t drink again “. I know that I can’t try drinking again. I’ve tried to quit other times and it never worked. It’s when I finally realized I’m different from other drinkers who can just stop after a glass of wine or two...I can’t. I know that now. Thanks for your words. 😊
Old 07-08-2019, 09:02 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Ismilealot

Originally Posted by Numblady View Post
Welcome and definitely similar. Married mom of two (oldest is only eleven though). 44. Husband still drinks a ton but I don’t. I feel like I’m on much steadier footing. All the best to you!
Hi numblady!
Thanks for posting. Glad you feel you are on steadier footing than your husband regarding drinking. My husband doesn’t like to drink. So I have often felt annoyed that he doesn’t relate to what I go through as a person with an alcohol dependency. I KNOW I can’t allow myself to drink again, but he probably could have “just one” easily. I never thought of your scenario, having a husband who also drinks heavily. That must be hard too. Best of luck to you. Weve got this👍🏻